x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's rules on offensiveness - reform needed? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Edit: The word that you used in your post does in fact get caught by the swear filter - so looks like your card definitely was for breaking the swear filter, if you didn't star out the whole word in its entirety.
    Yes I broke the swear filter, but - as I said - I posted this in a thread where everybody was laughing at a woman who made yoghurt with her vagina. Do you think it's sensible to give a card for that "offence" in that thread? I didn't post it in the study help ffs.

I just received a card for having said "don't feed the troll."
    The CT really need to check the rules of the D&CA section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Yes I broke the swear filter, but - as I said - I posted this in a thread where everybody was laughing at a woman who made yoghurt with her vagina. Do you think it's sensible to give a card for that "offence" in that thread? I didn't post it in the study help ffs.

Oh, didn't see that bit in the first post. That's kinda ridiculous and tbh I'm surprised the thread was allowed to stay.

As for your "don't feed the troll" comment, that's one you could dispute via AAM. I suppose the reason why the card was given may have been down to the fact it inferred a poster was a troll, and calling people trolls probably isn't allowed.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Josb)

(Original post by spotify95)
    Oh, didn't see that bit in the first post. That's kinda ridiculous and tbh I'm surprised the thread was allowed to stay.

As for your "don't feed the troll" comment, that's one you could dispute via AAM. I suppose the reason why the card was given may have been down to the fact it inferred a poster was a troll, and calling people trolls probably isn't allowed.
    Hey guys, given the context of this thread we're being more lenient re: discussing warnings, but please let's try to keep it relevant to the OP which is about the rules overall.

If you think you've been given a card incorrectly then please make a thread in AaM and someone will look into it for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hey guys, given the context of this thread we're being more lenient re: discussing warnings, but please let's try to keep it relevant to the OP which is about the rules overall.
    Can we have the same rules in the D&CA as in the Chat? eg. we can talk of what we want as long as it is not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Yes a reform is needed.

A reform is also needed on the moderates. Their political and religious affiliations often get in the way of fair moderation.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Josb)
    Can we have the same rules in the D&CA as in the Chat? eg. we can talk of what we want as long as it is not illegal.
    ...I think that would lead to chaos :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Yes a reform is needed.

A reform is also needed on the moderates. Their political and religious affiliations often get in the way of fair moderation.
    This.

...I think that would lead to chaos :afraid:
    I don't think so. Anyway, this section is too tightly moderated. You should give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    That's not how the rules work in chat. It's more relaxed on people posting off topic content or making image only posts, but all the other site guidelines apply there as much as they do anywhere else.

ReputationRep:

If you think you've been given a card incorrectly then please make a thread in AaM and someone will look into it for you
    Hi Puddles

Apologies if discussing cards/warnings isn't allowed on TSR - I only replied to a post about some of the overall rules and part of it was about a couple of cards and I got sidetracked...

If I ever get a card (and I have only ever had 3 in 1 and a half years!) I do go to AAM.

Overall, the rules could do with a bit of a reform in some areas but atm I'm happy with things as is.

ReputationRep:
    As for the cards, they're ridiculous. Warning points were so much easier and understandable. Now if you sneeze in the wrong direction its a card for being too offensive or some BS like that.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think that the moderators do an excellent job for modest wages; they manage to strike the correct balance between free speech and complete mayhem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    That's not how the rules work in chat. It's more relaxed on people posting off topic content or making image only posts, but all the other site guidelines apply there as much as they do anywhere else.
    Then can we have these rules in the D&CA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Then can we have these rules in the D&CA?
    Not my call I'm afraid.

I can't see it happening any time soon though. Why would we want to be more relaxed on off topic posting in a debate forum? It's more likely to lead discussion off on a tangent and away from the topic the OP intended to discuss. Just as image only posts aren't really conductive to discussion in this sort of debate, it's lazy and rude towards the person you're replying to, it says that you'd rather just dismiss what they're saying by posting a meme or silly image than writing out a sensible a reasoned response addressing why you disagree with their point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Not my call I'm afraid.

I can't see it happening any time soon though. Why would we want to be more relaxed on off topic posting in a debate forum? It's more likely to lead discussion off on a tangent and away from the topic the OP intended to discuss. Just as image only posts aren't really conductive to discussion in this sort of debate, it's lazy and rude towards the person you're replying to, it says that you'd rather just dismiss what they're saying by posting a meme or silly image than writing out a sensible a reasoned response addressing why you disagree with their point.
    Sometimes an image is better than words. Current rules forbid irony, sarcasm and mockery, whilst they are commonly used in political debates - even in the House of Commons. I like to use them when answering to stupid comments or threads.
    If someone posts a thread in the D&CA, he must be aware that his views will be challenged, and there will always be some people to disagree with him and he shouldn't be offended for that. "Rudeness" is irrelevant in this section, it's not the mental health forum.

TSR will never succeed in creating a debate forum where all users write constructive, courteous and elaborate answers. Nobody can. Conversely, the current rules in this section prevent many respectable users from posting because they already received too many cards. It therefore impoverishes the debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    tbh i think that the moderators do an excellent job for modest wages; they manage to strike the correct balance between free speech and complete mayhem.
    Lol, no they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    The problem with this statement being that mods don't receive *any* wages from TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    The problem with this statement being that mods don't receive *any* wages from TSR.
    oh well... i hear there are some excellent hoodies coming out any day soon... maybe you will be given one :borat:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people on this forum choose to get offended when the reality is they have no reason to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    What you're essentially suggesting is that they model the rest of the site on TSR's equivalent of /b/ or the misc. It's the fetid yeast ridden **** of the website and is about as far from a "model" forum as it's possible to conceive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    What you're essentially suggesting is that they model the rest of the site on TSR's equivalent of /b/ or the misc. It's the fetid yeast ridden **** of the website and is about as far from a "model" forum as it's possible to conceive.
    Well you just ruined my childhood by describing Chat like that. :eek:

Respect the forum, Vlad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.