Why are you against feminism? Watch

noramaria
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I agree, everyone should be treated with respect as long as they show you the same respect.

Equality has been for the most part been gained in western society. Women have more legal rights than men, they have the same opportunities as men and they get paid the same as men for doing the same work.

Not in all countries
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by noramaria)
Not in all countries
Can you read?

I clearly stated that what I said was "for the most part" and "in western society"

I never said all countries.
buena.tatum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ok listen matey.

firstly.feminism by definition is the belief that all men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. it is the theory of the political, social and economic equality of the sexes.

secondly.feminism is not about 'man hating' feminism has become a very unpopular word and as a very eager feminist myself, i think to myself why are women choosing not to identify themselves as feminists?
they should be sticking up for themselves and comment to stupid comments such as yours.

thirdly....... shutup.

i win.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
You sound like a rape/domestic violence expert
I had a lot of free time over the holidays so actually did a load of background reading, but beyond that what I stated was just application of basic logic along with some not unreasonable premises: men are, on average, stronger than women; the vast majority of people are heterosexual etc, although those 2 facts alone are the basis of the entire argument.

(Original post by noramaria)
It's not just pay gaps but respect and equality in all areas of life
As said, respect should be earned, not given, or at least noteworthy respect. And that's such a blanket term it's not even worth arguing over. As for equality, I can say there is inequality, that doesn't mean there is; further, just because there is inequality here or there does not mean there is net inequality.
HigherMinion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is really the wrong thread. The problem with asking "why are you against feminism" is you get the people who go, "I'm against feminism, but of course I'm for equal rights!" and then people claiming that each side doesn't understand what feminism means.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3063687

This thread is for you. Decide whether all people are essentially equal but discrimination and racism in society keeps others down, whether we should strive for equality of people regardless or whether it's a silly notion altogether and people are inherently different and we should just accept this.

Feminism, as far as I can tell, is a dead movement in the West.
buena.tatum
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
I 100% agree with the overall idea behind feminism 'equality of gender'. However I think the word 'feminism' itself puts people off. The word to me suggests that only women have issues in which they are underprivileged compared to male counterparts, which is not the case at all. While I accept most issues concerning gender equality involve women being the ones who are underprivileged in comparison to male counterparts, it is certainly not the case for all issues therefore I don't think the entire movements name should imply that.

I certainly don't agree with people who say they are going to start some campaign for 'meninism' to make some sort of point. I think to reach a wider group of people such a movement needs a none bias name. If they called themselves humanitarian campaigners who want gender equality (long winded ik but you get the point I'm making hopefully :P) a lot more people would probably support it, male and female. I personally support the idea of equality but I do think the name the 'gender equality' movement operates under alienates a lot of people from actively supporting it, particularly males.

if you don't approve of the word 'feminist' or 'feminism'. it is not the word that matters, it is the idea and ambition behind it.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by buena.tatum)
if you don't approve of the word 'feminist' or 'feminism'. it is not the word that matters, it is the idea and ambition behind it.
Yes I get that, but I think a lot of people don't see past the word unfortunately and that is where the downfall comes. I personally believe in the idea behind it but too many hear 'feminist' and think women's rights as opposed to gender equality. Unfortunately we live in a world that is selfish and a lot of males would hear 'feminism' think 'women rights' and immediately dismiss it (since it doesn't benefit them), it's unfortunate but I think it's true. I have little doubt most people would be more than willing to campaign for gender equality, but a much lower number of people (males) would happily identify as a feminist and join in a campaign under that name.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, I agree with the movement. I just think if you were to analyse what areas in it people are against, the name would be one of the biggest points.
Outlawzero
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Egalitarians are for equality. Feminists are not or they wouldn't slap sexualy charged words on things. "FEM"inist "MAN"splaining. Pompous purile ridiculousness. It sounds like bad cheesy vilians slapping their name on everything. The primary definition of feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of equality of the sexes. Current #1 definition. Selective service is irrefutably discriminatory towards men (doesn't matter if you're not American we have our own feminists they don't give a **** about any exclusivly male issue because feminism is not about the quality of the genders or you know occasionally or at least one time feminists would've been marching for something discriminatory that exclusively effected men) so feminism has never tried to do anything about it because it is not about the advancement of equality based upon gender it is about the advancement of women. We as a society define words for just this purpose. Nobody just gets to redefine words whenever convenient for you that's why we have dictionaries.
Signed an Egalitarian.

feminism ˈfeməˌnizəm/ noun noun: feminism the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes. synonyms: the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rights; informalwomen's lib "a longtime advocate of feminism" Origin late 19th century: from French féminisme .
Jordan58
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hate it because the majority of the people who campaign for it are in western society where it's useless and doesn't hold a purpose because men and women are equal, however I do strongly agree with feminism in the majority of the Middle East because it is actually needed there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm yet to hear an actual reason for feminism to exist in western countries. Everything just seems to be bleeding heart, anecdotal nonsense; some fact/statistic based arguments would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Azman Rahman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angel2015)
I'm just curious, after a recent post. Just to clarify: Feminism is defined as the equal rights of men and women. Just wondering, not asking for a debate as such or comments from people who think it is anything other than how it is defined...
You know you can't pull a definition out of your ass like that right? Google the real definition. It is the advocacy of women's rights on the GROUNDS of equality. That does NOT mean it actually is. If you want equality, argue both sides of the equation. Give men the right to contest abortions, don't let women throw the baby away or giving it up for adoption if she doesn't want it (that's actually how it works). Why don't you guys also campaign for call to service? Guys are only permitted to vote if they sign a waiver saying they will fight for their country if necessary. Women dont.
username3765926
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm just curious, after a recent post. Just to clarify: Feminism is defined as the equal rights of men and women. Just wondering, not asking for a debate as such or comments from people who think it is anything other than how it is defined...
Actions speak louder than words.

Mainstream feminist actions are repulsive. I detest feminism.
RivalPlayer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
These days, it's barely disguised misandry.
The highly selective outrage that is typical of modern Western feminism only really serves the interests of a cabal of upper/middle-class women.
username3765926
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)
These days, it's barely disguised misandry.
The highly selective outrage that is typical of modern Western feminism only really serves the interests of a cabal of upper/middle-class women.
Yep. Because these people have nothing else to complain about. And who better than the bourgeois.
username3765926
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Well, I think you may have made your point clear there.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Feminism isn't the problem

Certain feminists are the problem.
username3765926
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kaffee_1998)
Feminism isn't the problem

Certain feminists are the problem.
Feminism is the problem, dude. Its an outdated ideology that's preaching inequality when there is none.
Just my opinion
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
ok listen matey.

firstly.feminism by definition is the belief that all men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. it is the theory of the political, social and economic equality of the sexes.

secondly.feminism is not about 'man hating' feminism has become a very unpopular word and as a very eager feminist myself, i think to myself why are women choosing not to identify themselves as feminists?
they should be sticking up for themselves and comment to stupid comments such as yours.

thirdly....... shutup.

i win.
Funnily enough I read a quote the other day.

"Debating with a feminist is like playing chess with a pigeon.
You can be the best chess player in the world but they will still knock all the pieces over s*** all over the board and strut around like they have won".

Just saying. 👍😁
username3765926
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
ok listen matey.

thirdly....... shutup.

i win.
AKA Egalitarianism. The reason that only 7% of women self-identify as feminists is because the movement has become a rabid man-hating bubble.
username3765926
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Funnily enough I read a quote the other day.

"Debating with a feminist is like playing chess with a pigeon.
You can be the best chess player in the world but they will still knock all the pieces over s*** all over the board and strut around like they have won".

Just saying. 👍😁
I have honestly never heard anything so well put in my entire life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (173)
67.58%
No (83)
32.42%

Watched Threads