Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    It can't stop us, it's within a person's rights to say what they want. But my point is if you insult say 100 people by calling their mother a slut for example. 95 of these people will probably be offended but put aside their anger. You'll get the remaining 5 people, the minority, who will probably be so angry that they seek revenge and hit you, one might even want to kill you as they hold that much respect for their mother. The same principle applies here. It's obvious that these images are going to provoke a minority of extremist/mental people who will be offended to such a degree that they commit despicable acts. And those that suffer is innocent people.
    Their acts cannot be blamed for the drawing of these cartoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopaPork)
    Tell me how can I respectfully say I believe Islam is a backward faith created by a pedophile warlord?
    That is your opinion. Go to a mosque and debate the muslims there. Or go to speakers corner in Hyde Park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    That is your opinion. Go to a mosque and debate the muslims there. Or go to speakers corner in Hyde Park.
    That's the point the is nothing to 'debate' I am simply criticizing Islam.

I believe Islam is a backward faith created by a pedophile warlord.

You said I need to be respectful so I'm saying how can I say ' I believe Islam is a backward faith created by a pedophile warlord' respectfully?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Their acts cannot be blamed for the drawing of these cartoons.
    By a minority of people they can, as what we've seen. I could easily draw a picture of their prophet and post it on my twitter. It's within my rights. But I don't because I know I don't want to offend people. Charlie Hebdo were just being stupid, and it's a despicable way to sell their material by publishing what can be perceived by others as offensive material. Eventually some extremists have finally snapped and attacked them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    By a minority of people they can, as what we've seen. I could easily draw a picture of their prophet and post it on my twitter. It's within my rights. But I don't because I know I don't want to offend people. Charlie Hebdo were just being stupid, and it's a despicable way to sell their material by publishing what can be perceived by others as offensive material. Eventually some extremists have finally snapped and attacked them.
    They were using satirical cartoons to get their point across. They did nothing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No one has the right to censor peoples' right to exercise their freedom of speech (however insulting it may be).

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    They were using satirical cartoons to get their point across. They did nothing wrong.
    It's your kind of attitude that is the result of why multiculturalism is failing.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday i bought a book of Charlie Hebdo cartoons as soon as i heard of the murders. Now i am going to buy M. Houellebecq's new book:

http://rt.com/news/220447-houellebec...ance-islamist/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    It's your kind of attitude that is the result of why multiculturalism is failing.
    I couldn't give less of a **** if multiculturalism is failing.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend everyone get a years subscription to the magazine when they make them available again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    So I should have to abandon my cultural history to make a group who are intolerant of this history happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitWindy)
    Well, y'know what?

Je suis Charlie, because I'm not prepared to forgo my freedom of expression to pander to the unreasonable demands of others, extremists and moderates alike.

If you are, then that's a damned shame. The point of "je suis Charlie" is not that one necessarily agrees with what the magazine published. The point is that we who are civilised support their right to publish it.

Agreed😉

ReputationRep:
    So I should have to abandon my cultural history to make a group who are intolerant of this history happy?
    The same view can be applied from the point of minorities and their beliefs. It's about compromise and mutual respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    The same view can be applied from the point of minorities and their beliefs. It's about compromise and mutual respect.
    No, it's not. When the minorities have a scripture-based belief system that calls for the marginalisation of homosexuals, women, infidels and others then their beliefs (and thus their demands to accommodate them) should be given absolutely zero respect.

ReputationRep:
    How is any of this racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Okay let's do it. Go to the Muslims, Christians and everyone else. Tell them to remove hell from their religion, remove homophobia, remove animosity towards apostates. Take away everything we find disrespectful.

Maybe then we'll consider your proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Jesus died 2015 year ago, longer than the prophet and do we be blasphemous towards him?
    Have you seen The Life of Brian?

I don't recall Christians massacring the people involved with that production.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahid-r)
    Okay let's do it. Go to the Muslims, Christians and everyone else. Tell them to remove hell from their religion, remove homophobia, remove animosity towards apostates. Take away everything we find disrespectful.

Maybe then we'll consider your proposal.
    You sound like someone who has an irrational hate for religious people even if the vast majority are peaceful law abiding citizens. You form your biased judgement on the action of a minority, brainwashed by what you see on TV and the internet.

People like you make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Why should I have to compromise my cultural history for a group of people who want to move to this country?

I didn't ask for them to move here nor did I ever vote for a party that stated this would be a result of immigration.

I am proud of our cultural history and I would like people who choose to move here to show this some respect.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend everyone get a years subscription to the magazine when they make them available again
    Next week apparently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.