The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munn
Anyway, onto more topical subjects - I don't think Dez's TD should have been overturned last night. I agree absolutely that he lost control when the ball hit the ground, however, as he was going to ground he definitely made a reach for the goalline (you can see his left knee coming down before he puts his right hand down and reaches forward). To me, that constitutes a "football move", so the ball coming loose should be a fumble if anything.

The ground can't cause a fumble. The more I watch it the more I see nothing wrong with the call or the rule.
Original post by SmashConcept
The ground can't cause a fumble. The more I watch it the more I see nothing wrong with the call or the rule.

True. It didn't cause the fumble, but it did cause the incomplete pass. It's a common-sense catch, but it's a correct call for it to be ruled incomplete.
Reply 102
Original post by cant_think_of_name

I also don't really expect us to re-sign Zach Miller as Luke Willson has gone up a level lately.

No way, all Carroll and Bevell have spoken about is how they've lost a significant number of plays since Miller went out - his ability to block as a TE isn't replicated by anybody on the team - he's almost as good blocking as some of the OL.

Of course it can - you see players hit the ground with the ball first and lose control all the time.
Should reword though - I don't mean a recoverable fumble, the ball comes loose but when it hits the ground (if under control at that point) the play is dead. Dez had control and the ground forced it loose IMO (because he made the "football move")
(edited 9 years ago)
The ball coming loose and the play being dead isn't a fumble, it's down by contact (the ground technically may be able to cause a fumble if the player trips and loses the ball with no contact, but obviously that's completely irrelevant) :confused: If you make a catch while going to ground you have to maintain possession throughout the catch AND make a football move. Doing the latter doesn't obviate the need for the former. Why do people think that is a bad rule anyway? If Dez were playing cricket and that exact sequence of events happened (ball touching the ground and coming out during the course of his fall), it wouldn't be a catch in that sport either.

If you guys think the rule is bad, what DO you think the rule should be? I'll have a go at channeling the average facebook commenter and drafting a new rule that pleases everyone.

"im a nfl fan n i think the db cant hit low or hit hi or hit with his helmet or facecage or hold or touch anyone after 5 yds and also if the receiver drops it but only kind of drops it it should be a complete pass if it's my favrite team or if it happens in january or if a lot of ppl on social media agree with me and EXPECIALLY if it happens near the end of a game when its literally not fair to make the receiver do a normal catch. ps if the defender on my team does any of those bad things i reserve the right to yell THAT'S JUST FOOTBALL FOLKS I MEAN COME ON MAN at my tv/dog/neigbour's kids"
Reply 104
The ball coming loose and the play being dead isn't a fumble, it's down by contact (the ground technically may be able to cause a fumble if the player trips and loses the ball with no contact, but obviously that's completely irrelevant) :confused: If you make a catch while going to ground you have to maintain possession throughout the catch AND make a football move. Doing the latter doesn't obviate the need for the former. Why do people think that is a bad rule anyway? If Dez were playing cricket and that exact sequence of events happened (ball touching the ground and coming out during the course of his fall), it wouldn't be a catch in that sport either.

If you guys think the rule is bad, what DO you think the rule should be? I'll have a go at channeling the average facebook commenter and drafting a new rule that pleases everyone.

"im a nfl fan n i think the db cant hit low or hit hi or hit with his helmet or facecage or hold or touch anyone after 5 yds and also if the receiver drops it but only kind of drops it it should be a complete pass if it's my favrite team or if it happens in january or if a lot of ppl on social media agree with me and EXPECIALLY if it happens near the end of a game when its literally not fair to make the receiver do a normal catch. ps if the defender on my team does any of those bad things i reserve the right to yell THAT'S JUST FOOTBALL FOLKS I MEAN COME ON MAN at my tv/dog/neigbour's kids"

I don't know what the rule should be, I'm not an official or Commissioner. There has to be something better than the ambiguity in the football move situation.

This would never happen in cricket by the way, there's no need to reach for the endzone or move after you've first 'contacted' the ball.
Original post by Wattsy
I don't know what the rule should be, I'm not an official or Commissioner. There has to be something better than the ambiguity in the football move situation.

This would never happen in cricket by the way, there's no need to reach for the endzone or move after you've first 'contacted' the ball.

Well no, but what I meant is if the ball touched the ground while he was in the process of making a falling catch, it would be not out.

As it happens cricket has a rule which is probably worded better. You have to be in control of both the ball and your body, which is a better way of saying you have to maintain possession throughout contact with the ground.

That was sadly very accurate
Reply 107
Well no, but what I meant is if the ball touched the ground while he was in the process of making a falling catch, it would be not out.

As it happens cricket has a rule which is probably worded better. You have to be in control of both the ball and your body, which is a better way of saying you have to maintain possession throughout contact with the ground.

That would be better. Not changing the actual rules, people would be way less annoyed about Dallas. That's a win-win.
I don't think the NFL will take any suggestions from cricket sadly

Reply 109
Just been commenting on Jaguars.com trying to justify the 9:30am EST kickoff and someone told me they had to pick between the Jags and Church... Not the kind of reply I was expecting. He also made a big point of his AMERICAN-ness. That was more along the lines of what I thought I'd get back.
Original post by Wattsy
Just been commenting on Jaguars.com trying to justify the 9:30am EST kickoff and someone told me they had to pick between the Jags and Church... Not the kind of reply I was expecting. He also made a big point of his AMERICAN-ness. That was more along the lines of what I thought I'd get back.

It's not so much of a issue on the East Coast...but on the West Coast, it's a bit more of an issue. It's a big issue getting up at 7.30am in Idaho, or 6.30am in California ...people need to realize that they can go to Church on Saturday as well :wink: I like the 2.30pm GMT kickoff.

I really want to go to the Wembley game. I've been to Mile High...I want to go watch the NFL at Wembley. I'm thinking Bills-Jags...should be a good ol' defensive slug fest. :biggrin:

Most people in the United States seem to suggest that the Wembley games are a good thing. On the plus side, it's wall to wall football, on a Sunday, for a change, which is good. (Saturdays are wall-to-wall).
So, the Bears have hired John Fox. They are getting a good coach. He had a thankless task clearing up Josh McDaniels' mess.

Hopefully this means more 4-3 defense, and leaning more on Matt Forte. The biggest asset to Fox is that he's flexible, despite his belief in a strong 4-3 defense and a strong, power based running game.
I guess the big question is what does he do with Cutler
Reply 114
Original post by jammy4041
It's not so much of a issue on the East Coast...but on the West Coast, it's a bit more of an issue. It's a big issue getting up at 7.30am in Idaho, or 6.30am in California ...people need to realize that they can go to Church on Saturday as well :wink: I like the 2.30pm GMT kickoff.

I really want to go to the Wembley game. I've been to Mile High...I want to go watch the NFL at Wembley. I'm thinking Bills-Jags...should be a good ol' defensive slug fest. :biggrin:

Most people in the United States seem to suggest that the Wembley games are a good thing. On the plus side, it's wall to wall football, on a Sunday, for a change, which is good. (Saturdays are wall-to-wall).

Some other people did respect the time, one guy from Cal said he'd be up at 6:30am to watch. That's commitment on par with UK fans on TNF/MNF days! Some also said it might be the only thing keeping the Jags in Jacksonville. The reality of that situation isn't clear but Wembley is clearly good for the teams bank balances and good for the NFL's global range
Original post by Wattsy
Some other people did respect the time, one guy from Cal said he'd be up at 6:30am to watch. That's commitment on par with UK fans on TNF/MNF days! Some also said it might be the only thing keeping the Jags in Jacksonville. The reality of that situation isn't clear but Wembley is clearly good for the teams bank balances and good for the NFL's global range

It's good to see. It's a good cash boost and a good bit of publicity for the Jags, and for the NFL, I must admit. Even the NBA has international games, and one can make the point that they do it, owing to the success of the International Series in the NFL. No coincidence that the NBA picked London either, imho. The Wembley game though, is good for the stadium's operators. The NFL gives it money to host the game, but gets more money back.
Manning is like LeBron choking when it matters. If only Eli and Payton were one....
Original post by ronmack
Manning is like LeBron choking when it matters. If only Eli and Payton were one....

I agree to an extent...but that's a tired old narrative. The whole team choked.

DT played like he'd just been told that he was not being re-signed or something. Outside of the TD grab, he was awful...and no heart in blocking for CJ's 4th and 2 run, at the end of Q3. When a top-notch QB has 7 straight in-completions...it's easy to forget that DT dropped two easy catches (DT catches the hard stuff, but has always been prone to drop some of the easy ones...but he is a quality WR), and there was a lot of 3 and outs, so the offense didn't have a chance to develop any rhythm. Oh and of the various go routes, one was clearly overthrown, one was underthrown, one grazed Sanders' fingertips, and the other one, Sanders' legs were tied up with the DB (incidental contact).

The playcalling was awful...but I can see why Peyton went to Sanders....since the DB was 7-10 yards off. Surprised there wasn't a check into a hitch or something, with that coverage, as you have to take the short stuff all day and let CJ do his work...move the chains and build some momentum...but that never happened.

I was more annoyed with Talib's horrible play than I was with the offense to be honest though. When it was obvious that he would just hold and hold and hold, or get beaten time and again, then Chris Harris should have been told to shadow TY Hilton. It was painful to watch...because Luck was going to take that matchup time and again. A few 8 minute drives later...continued through stupid holding calls, when the defense made a stop did not help the offense find rhythm.
Predictions for playoffs tomorrow?

Seahawks, Aaron Rodgers at full fitness would win but they lose an element without his mobility.

Patriots. Brady Ftw.

Seahawks Patriots superbowl will be good. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lebron a choker? That couldn't be further from the truth...

Quick Reply

Latest