Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    Does anyone prefer Better Call Saul over Breaking Bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's possibly a better season than season 1 of BB, but it pretty much feels like he's honed his skills throughout the run of BB and picked up where he left off

it's so good that it's undoubtedly a show in it's own right now, which i'm somewhat surprised about

ReputationRep:
    I did really not see that coming and I really didn't see this spin off being as good as it is.

Was also funny seeing Trevor from GTA making a cameo. Was that lester too with the glasses?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I hope we don't get to see the emergence of Saul too quickly. I hope it's a gradual thing. I bloody love Jimmy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    Does anyone prefer Better Call Saul over Breaking Bad?

I think they're very close for me at the minute. The only thing Better Call Saul is missing at the moment is a BIG moment. Once that happens I think they'll at least be on a par.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I hope we don't get to see the emergence of Saul too quickly. I hope it's a gradual thing. I bloody love Jimmy.
    Agreed. But I'm assuming that once he's Saul, the show will pretty much be over, so hopefully it's a while off yet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Agreed. But I'm assuming that once he's Saul, the show will pretty much be over, so hopefully it's a while off yet.
    Gilligan has stated that he wants to make the change a slow process, thankfully. Can't wait for season two already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeInTheMiddle)
    I think they're very close for me at the minute. The only thing Better Call Saul is missing at the moment is a BIG moment. Once that happens I think they'll at least be on a par.

ReputationRep:
    its a bit disappointing ,i thought it had the potential to be better than breaking bad , with the writers having years of experience with the character ,and writing breaking bad
    i thought more would have happened by now ,its a bit like why havent they created any big story lines? , in bb they already started cooking ,killed two guys and the stuff with tuco , i dont think the side characters are as engaging as hank ,skyar ect..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capachino)
    its a bit disappointing ,i thought it had the potential to be better than breaking bad , with the writers having years of experience with the character ,and writing breaking bad
    i thought more would have happened by now ,its a bit like why havent they created any big story lines? , in bb they already started cooking ,killed two guys and the stuff with tuco , i dont think the side characters are as engaging as hank ,skyar ect..
    It sounds like you basically want it to be BB. So it's fair to say you are disappointed but I think it would be unfair to label BCS disappointing. If you judge it by what it is, a character study, then it's not that short of a masterclass. This season is the story of how Jimmy becomes Saul - that is the big storyline. I'm not sure where big set-pieces would really fit into that.

(Original post by JoeInTheMiddle)
    likewise, did you miss the part where the older brother he loves and looks up to and wanted to emulate, who he has nursed day in day out through serious mental illness, betrayed him and compared him intellectually to a monkey. That is the big moment. What needs to happen, does Chuck's heart have to literally explode for this to work?

ReputationRep:
    Chuck is also the one who stopped him getting a job before. All of that is revealed.

It's not sibling rivalry, more like the prodigal son returning. Jimmy did everything the wrong way, was a screwup but turned it around. According to Chuck, who's been on the straight and narrow path the whole time, Jimmy isn't deserving of these gifts. Ultimately he's jealous and hates how he can step in to his world without putting in the decades of hard effort .
    In reality Jimmy did put in tonnes of hard work - working in a mail room and studying his ass off by himself to pass the bar, spending years looking after Chuck. But Chuck doesn't see any of this. Chuck is bitter. He's a piece of **** but things like this actually happen in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Also makes you see Hamlin in a different way. All this time you thought he was just a major ****, but in actuality it would be appear he is just very loyal to his partner.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Also makes you see Hamlin in a different way. All this time you thought he was just a major ****, but in actuality it would be appear he is just very loyal to his partner.
    This. I thought he was a *******, but he's proved to be quite selfless in the shadow of the rather selfish Chuck. Great piece of characterisation from Gilligan once again.

ReputationRep:
    The most heartbreaking scene was when Jimmy said "I thought you were proud of me!" also amazingly performed by Odenkirk.

What do you guys think,should Kim have told Jimmy?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I honestly feel like giving Jimmy a hug every episode, I just feel so so sorry for him loving the show though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One more left, folks. What will we do afterwards, eh?

Start Breaking Bad again, probably...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    One more left, folks. What will we do afterwards, eh?

Start Breaking Bad again, probably...
    New Game of Thrones starts next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    The most heartbreaking scene was when Jimmy said "I thought you were proud of me!" also amazingly performed by Odenkirk.

What do you guys think,should Kim have told Jimmy?
    If you mean about Chuck then Kim didn't know. Hamlin refused to explain "his" decision when she asked, and she was as confused as everyone else was.

Better Call Saul is playing the "rule of cool" almost to perfection when it comes to Mike's storylines. I thought that some of it was overplayed in Breaking Bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    If you mean about Chuck then Kim didn't know. Hamlin refused to explain "his" decision when she asked, and she was as confused as everyone else was.

Better Call Saul is playing the "rule of cool" almost to perfection when it comes to Mike's storylines. I thought that some of it was overplayed in Breaking Bad.
    But then as she was leaving, he called her back into the room. That was the end of the scene. It was clearly implied that he then told her. Sorry bud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    But then as she was leaving, he called her back into the room. That was the end of the scene. It was clearly implied that he then told her. Sorry bud.
    Oh yeah and that's why she went over and told him to just give up right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Oh yeah and that's why she went over and told him to just give up right.
    Yup

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.