Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your definition of a slut? Does it even exist? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Ah. Perhaps you could share with the class the purpose of this deliberate hyperbolism, Captain Confusion? :confused:
    For emphasis, you know, to emphasise how ridiculous some people are for calling women sluts.

haven't really addressed the original point you were making ~ that they 'couldn't help being born that way'
    I didn't make that point at all? :confused: You haven't addressed the point that I was making, so I have no idea why you ever quoted me in the first place. You do seem confused.

..for earning the coveted title of slut
    Other people in this thread make it out to be very easy to come by. Why are you not congratulating them, if it's so coveted?

P.S. Calm down dear :emog:
    Ok, well I don't think my posts mark me as being anything other than calm. It can be hard communicate emotion on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefnaaay)
    ..I don't think you understand what Feminism is about, or what a victim-complex really is. Please educate yourself on both, and learn how and where to apply both terms because you've just made yourself look awfully silly.
    Perhaps persecution complex was more apt.

I probably have a better understanding of feminism and feminist theory than you do. I've read Mill, Friedsan, de Beauvior, Wolldstonecraft, Woolf and George Shaw - even the bull**** psuedo-intellectual writings of Jessica Valenti.

So no, you with your tumblr understanding of feminism makes you look silly, and is an insult to the very complex and deep history of feminist thought.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who will give 'sexual favours' away to anyone, including strangers, for complete free.

For money would be a whore.

(fyi this includes men, manslut/ jigglo)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    For emphasis, you know, to emphasise how ridiculous some people are for calling women sluts
    So you deliberately made over-exaggerated to try to emphasize that which you were over-exaggerating?:mute:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I struggle to see how this is sensible when your point is tenuous at best to begin with? :dontknow:

I didn't make that point at all? :confused:
    "I just don't particularly like it when people are targeted purely for their gender or anything else that they can't change"

Their gender + their behaviour, and/or their gender + their behaviour (as an implied function of their gender), as a basis for being labelled a 'slut' = something they can't change = blameless in the 'slut' stakes

Other people in this thread make it out to be very easy to come by. Why are you not congratulating them, if it's so coveted?
    I was being facetious dear

It can be hard communicate emotion on the internet
    It's ok babes, I know deep down how you feel about me xxx

ReputationRep:
    You... what? You are ridiculous.
    Going to explain why that quote was wrong or going to keep on side stepping? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Someone who has casual sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afghan Warrior)
    Someone who has casual sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not just someone who has casual sex with lots of men but keeps jumping from one man to another and by the time you know it,she's already slept with 10+ men that whole year and then complains when she can't secure a guy who is husband material because she's been the village bike,let's be honest,no man wants to settle for a girl like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I struggle to see how this is sensible when your point is tenuous at best to begin with? :dontknow:
    You would think that, but you haven't been called a slut for sharing innocuous opinions on such topics as politics and video games just because someone didn't agree with you. I'm just pointing out that it's stupid.

Their gender + their behaviour, and/or their gender + their behaviour (as an implied function of their gender), as a basis for being labelled a 'slut' = something they can't change = blameless in the 'slut' stakes
    You still aren't getting it. I was responding to the response to my original comment, which was that women are called sluts as a general insult, because they are women. It has lost all meaning. I never said anyone was being blamed for being born a slut, if that's what you're saying. You can't help being born a woman, which yeah, I guess is relevant to my argument, but not my argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulianRothschild)
    How can you define something like this?

There will never be a right or wrong answer.
    What is your take on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keturah)
    Anyone who calls someone a slut is pathetic. Why does it matter if someone is sleeping with a lot of people, it's really not hurting you. Girls who call other girls sluts are usually jealous. And someone on here saying they think wearing revealing clothing makes someone a slut, I wore revealing clothes when I'd never even had sex before.
    I saw this guy on Facebook calling girls he slept with loose. It just made me wonder at how unintelligent he must be to not realise he was doing the exact same thing as the girls he was slating.
    I prefer to be in a relationship before I have sex, only because I get attached and can't separate feelings from casual sex. However, I know girls who have casual sex without developing feelings and I don't see anything wrong with it. They are doing something v they enjoy, what's bad about that?
    There are so many things going on in the world that we should be concerned about. Not the fact that a girl has had more than five sexual partners in a year.
    This sort of thing makes me so angry, I'm just glad I'm not so narrow minded and judgemental.
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoking)
    Going to explain why that quote was wrong or going to keep on side stepping? :facepalm:
    You quote someone else's rant about women then claim you don't have a chip on your shoulder. It's not really about the quote.

"Or just worried that no guy will want a slut to kiss their child considering where their mouth has been?"

This makes no sense. Why would I be worried about that. Unless you are making it personal? IDK? You are ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    What is your take on it?
    When you get into excessive numbers of sleeping partners and once you get past a certain age. I guess it all depends on circumstance.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    You would think that, but you haven't been called a slut for sharing innocuous opinions on such topics as politics and video games just because someone didn't agree with you. I'm just pointing out that it's stupid
    Sure it's stupid, but it's also exceptionally rare. I've seen/heard the term used thousands of times and not once was it as random as that

women are called sluts as a general insult, because they are women
    I can conceive of people calling girls sluts as a general slight on them/motivated by general misogyny, but I find it difficult to imagine that when people say this there is no conception of the term as pertaining to sexuality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulianRothschild)
    When you get into excessive numbers of sleeping partners and once you get past a certain age. I guess it all depends on circumstance.

What are your thoughts?
    What age and how many sleeping partners?
    I think it's a girl who has an excessive amount of sleeping partners but who at the same time is very easy to sleep with,has no decency or self respect for her body and let's just about any guy she's dating sleep with her. That's my opinion and I know some won't agree but who cares.

ReputationRep:
    Not just someone who has casual sex with lots of men but keeps jumping from one man to another and by the time you know it,she's already slept with 10+ men that whole year and then complains when she can't secure a guy who is husband material because she's been the village bike,let's be honest,no man wants to settle for a girl like that.
    Argh this is so gross, especially since this is coming from a girl. :mad:Why is a women's self-worth always reflective of "what men think" or "if they like/want her", I think that in itself is not having any respect for yourself, not how many men the girl in question has slept with or what she wears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Argh this is so gross, especially since this is coming from a girl. :mad:Why is a women's self-worth always reflective of "what men think" or "if they like/want her", I think that in itself is not having any respect for yourself, not how many men the girl in question has slept with or what she wears.
    You have to respect yourself first in order to gain respect from others. It's not about impressing men,it's about having self respect and not being too easy.

ReputationRep:
    You have to respect yourself first in order to gain respect from others. It's not about impressing men,it's about having self respect and not being too easy.
    How is enjoying sex not having self-respect? :confused: I admire women who are sexually liberal as it shows they do not care what people think of them, now THAT is self-respect. The term "too easy" is so annoying. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    How is enjoying sex not having self-respect? :confused: I admire women who are sexually liberal as it shows they do not care what people think of them, now THAT is self-respect. The term "too easy" is so annoying. :puke:
    Opening your legs to just about every man that walks through the door is self respect? Lol okay

ReputationRep:
    Every single girl on TSR except for three. All the rest are slooooooots.

ReputationRep:
    Opening your legs to just about every man that walks through the door is self respect? Lol okay
    Well "opening your legs" does not mean you don't have self respet, a women's self-respect is not based on how many men she has slept with, that's a disgusting way to look at women...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.