The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Physics

And he went to working the tills? What career was he hoping for :eek:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wtf Oxford degree and working at sainburys ?And it's physics?Is he a manager?
I would take the degree. Not even a competition. But I would still go and study, so I had the knowledge to back it up. With my course, 250K gets very little very quickly, especially with a first degree from Oxbridge (BTW, I choose Cambridge if you've got a Law one going?)
The money - a 1st from Oxbridge doesn't guarantee success! You have have a 1st from Oxbridge and still earn the same/be in the same job as anyone else.

Also, having the title/degree usually means so much because you've worked so hard. If it was just magically given to me I don't think I'd appreciate it much!
Original post by SarcasticMel
Yea, I don't think so mate.

Probably an underestimate - if GS makes someone MD that early, they know that guy is in very high demand everywhere and will do whatever they need to keep him.
Reply 105
The money tbh, I could just get another degree
Original post by TurboCretin
I have a 1st from another top university and a job, so money for me please.

Aha well played

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a good degree already. I could self-fund PhD study and live comfortably on that money.
Original post by HarryDn
And he went to working the tills? What career was he hoping for :eek:

Yup. He wanted to work at CERN but they declined him and he couldn't find any other job
Yup. He wanted to work at CERN but they declined him and he couldn't find any other job

I think your revelation that an Oxford STEM grad could end up working at Sainsbury's may have made TSR implode.
Original post by TurboCretin
I think your revelation that an Oxford STEM grad could end up working at Sainsbury's may have made TSR implode.

:colone::colone:
The money - I already have a first class degree. Admittedly not from Oxbridge, but I can't imagine that it would make a huge amount of difference to my life given what I would like to do.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Gosh not since Edward Witten formation of M theory from the separate string theories has there been such a huge revelation.Congrats Cooper you won a Nobel prize in Social sciences which is theoretical like your husband's work and achievements.

Did he apply everywhere else though? :s-smilie:

Also what were his extracurriculars/work experience like? :eek:
Original post by HarryDn
Did he apply everywhere else though? :s-smilie:

Also what were his extracurriculars/work experience like? :eek:

My mate told me this and she didn't really go into much detail
Reply 115
Defo money, I'd want to earn my degree. As a cambridge offer holder I have a chance of doing that but I doubt I'll get 250k any time soon!
Reply 116
Definitely the money. An Oxbridge degree is meaningless for me, but I could pay off a mortgage for £250k.
Reply 117
Hate these types of questions because it makes me feel like this is real and I'm going to wake up tomorrow with either one...

Basically £250k in my bank NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I'll then fund myself to get a 1st from Harvard instead :wink:
Original post by Adipoptosis
Anything which makes the news is not common. And often, if its part of an article rather than a simple fact like my link, then there's been a lot of exaggeration or over-simplification.

As such, neither is Kunal Shah at Goldman, but actually a lot of people graduating from Oxbridge with firsts get very good jobs that eventually will offset the £250k.

Really? I bet you didn't even click on all the links. One had a double digit percentage of people at Oxford that couldn't find jobs six months after graduation. I'm not sure how that is not considered a fact. There were at least 3 individual examples shown there of people who couldn't find the type of jobs that you proposed.

I am not denying that an oxbridge 1st isn't special. I'm not even denying that it isn't worth 250k. But I am sure that the difference between Oxbridge graduates and it's closest rivals isn't a difference in 250k future earning potential.
Looking at it logically, if I had the intelligence to go to another top non-oxbridge school, I would probably be intelligent enough to make that money work for me. On the other hand, if I did not know how to make use of that money, I still wouldn't choose the oxbridge degree option. Why? Because investment banking is precisely about making your money work for you.
If I don't have the skills to do that, why would having an oxbridge degree help me?
I'd take the money. I'll get the degree by myself :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest