Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Adrono)
    How is Halifax? Is it as social as Derwent, which they say to be the best for this? I'm a very sporty and social person and I've heard Halifax is famous for the at least the sports side, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Also I'm wondering how different the Economy room is from the Standard one. 20 pounds a week are indeed something.

Thanks!
    As said above, James is the "sporty one", not Halifax. Halifax is generally seen as the reject college for those who couldn't get their preferred college. You don't choose Halifax, Halifax chooses you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnynoctu)
    Famous for the sports side? I'm not sure that's entirely true. James is the 'Sports' one, as it's right next to the gym. James is also fairly social too, so I'd recommend that for you.
    I'm in an economy Derwent block (ensuite catered) and it's fine, it's perfectly liveable. Standard might mean you are in a newer block; mine isn't particularly fancy. I'm sure you'll learn to live with either just fine.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As said above, James is the "sporty one", not Halifax. Halifax is generally seen as the reject college for those who couldn't get their preferred college. You don't choose Halifax, Halifax chooses you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks both for the clarification. I've put a mix of Derwent and James as my first like four choices when submitting my application just one hour ago. York is my insurance though: how likely do you it think is that I'll be offered one of those?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Adrono)
    Thanks both for the clarification. I've put a mix of Derwent and James as my first like four choices when submitting my application just one hour ago. York is my insurance though: how likely do you it think is that I'll be offered one of those?
    The system is very different to when I arrived (I used the new system when applying for this year's accommodation). It is pretty likely you will get one of them, but there is a possibility of getting none of your chouces

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looking at existing students for this one. Might be a really silly question, but if I am not going to stay on campus, does it matter which college I choose? I have to join one, and as a (future) student nurse Alcuin seems logical. Will it make any difference which I pick?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by HFBS)
    Looking at existing students for this one. Might be a really silly question, but if I am not going to stay on campus, does it matter which college I choose? I have to join one, and as a (future) student nurse Alcuin seems logical. Will it make any difference which I pick?
    It shouldn't make much of a difference, and you can change college if you stay on campus by getting accommodation in a different college after first year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It shouldn't make much of a difference, and you can change college if you stay on campus by getting accommodation in a different college after first year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers for the quick answer. There will be no staying on campus going on. I'm way too old for that kind of shenanigans.

ReputationRep:
    Derwent is York. Best socially, best sporting, best bars, best community, best
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by qwert1245)
    Derwent is York. Best socially, best sporting, best bars, best community, best
    Best asbestos

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    heyy i'm only in Y12 but I live in York and my dad is a prof at derwent- whenever I go there it looks fun, there's always lots of students in the bar/ cafes/ and it has a good atmosphere. plus yes to concrete appreciation. also heslington is one of the nicest neighbourhoods in york, i went to primary school there
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    opinions on Constantine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brodderz)
    I'm in Derwent and would 110% recommend it. Our social scene is so much better than every other college, with two bars close by, you're far more likely to make friends with a wider range of people than other colleges IMO.

PM me if any of you want any questions answered. Do not underestimate the importance of the college you pick though, I find it to be a pivotal part of my Uni experience.

Derwent = Party
    James = Sporty
    Hes East accommodation = best available, however it's very quiet over there and always seems a bit dead.

Don't go to Halifax if you can help it, I would be amazed if someone disagreed with me on that one.
    Surely you can still go to bars etc near Derwent? I want social but also premium rooms which is langwithe and constantine excuse my spelling lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    Surely you can still go to bars etc near Derwent? I want social but also premium rooms which is langwithe and constantine excuse my spelling lol.
    You can still go to whatever bars you want, Hes East (Goodricke, Langwith and Constanine) are 1.3 miles from Hes West though so consider that before you make a choice. There is a bar in Langwith though and also one in Constantine so you wouldn't ever be far from some kind of social space.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    You can still go to whatever bars you want, Hes East (Goodricke, Langwith and Constanine) are 1.3 miles from Hes West though so consider that before you make a choice. There is a bar in Langwith though and also one in Constantine so you wouldn't ever be far from some kind of social space.
    When did one open in Constantine? Regardless basically everything socially is West regardless but the buses are frequent enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I live on west and work on east . Don't live in east everyone I have spoken too wish they lived on West even if it means sacrificing quality , derwent has some swaggy new accommodation that looks fancy and it's on west ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tgj)
    I live on west and work on east . Don't live in east everyone I have spoken too wish they lived on West even if it means sacrificing quality , derwent has some swaggy new accommodation that looks fancy and it's on west ?
    Oh how come? just better socially ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tgj)

Oh how come? just better socially ?

ReputationRep:
    If you study on Hes East live on Hes East. If you study on Hes West live on Hes West, it really is that simple.

Hes East is no less social than Hes West. Langwith for example always has the best attended events, Marmite at the Glasshouse is the busiest club night on campus, and the Glasshouse in general is full 24/7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This thread was a really interesting read - thanks. From this, Derwent looks the best to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paarkerpenn)
    Hey all,
    Just wondering what York college you'd recommend, I know nothing about them.
    I'd quite like a party college, (if there is one?) where everyone is quite relaxed and doesn't take life too seriously and are all really nice and friendly (:
    I'm studying Philosophy if there is one close to the department, but I'm more concerned with atmosphere rather than convenience..
    Thanks xxx
    Hi there!

I'm first year at Halifax College with a flatmate doing Philosophy and English. Halifax is a good laugh, good communal atmosphere. It's a ten minute trek to Philosophy (for me I've a 30 minute walk/fifteen minute bike ride to Hes East) but we all like the fact it's a bit away from the uni so we're not always surrounded by departments. Halifax college also has a tiny village for families so there's a huge emphasis on safety and wellbeing, and a wee Nisa and cashpoint which other colleges don't have. Plus, 24 hour security.

But if you want a party college near Philosophy, my flatmate recommends Derwent, Vanbrugh or James. Derwent has the Courtyard, one of the best YUSU bars with events every night and it's near bus stops for going in/out of town.
    James college is near The Lounge (also a good bar) which has events most night and also next to the sports centre. I don't really know what Vanbrugh has besides their uni bar.

I hope this helped you a little bit to get a feel for what Halifax is and an idea as to what happens at the other colleges have

ReputationRep:
    Would there be a college that is good for English lit or are the colleges basically irrelevant to what you're studying?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.