The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Foundation centre applications and offer holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi all :smile: I have an offer from Durham to study Physics with foundation starting Oct '15. Very excited/nervous! I will be 22 when I start and really had no idea about the college system so didn't apply for any in particular... I'm thinking now I should have done more research into them, but kind of thought Durham was a long shot!

Does anyone know if college allocations are related to subject? Or if most foundation students are banded together? I'm hoping I'll meet others who are in a similar situation to me, i.e. returning to education and a little older than 18...

I hope you're all having a great day, wherever you are! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by EarthCircus
Hi all :smile: I have an offer from Durham to study Physics with foundation starting Oct '15. Very excited/nervous! I will be 22 when I start and really had no idea about the college system so didn't apply for any in particular... I'm thinking now I should have done more research into them, but kind of thought Durham was a long shot!

Does anyone know if college allocations are related to subject? Or if most foundation students are banded together? I'm hoping I'll meet others who are in a similar situation to me, i.e. returning to education and a little older than 18...

Hi there! Congratulations on your offer! :smile:
I know what you mean about choosing a college... When I was applying, I didn't really know how to choose from so many options and ended up applying to University College. Thinking about it now, I should probably have chosen something near the Engineering department if I get accepted to Castle, I'll have to walk 25 minutes everyday hahaha. But all the colleges seem lovely and friendly, so I wouldn't worry to much about ending up somewhere bad!
College allocations are not related to subject. I was checking their website https://www.dur.ac.uk/collegiate.office/allocations/details/ and it seems like the whole process is totally random, meaning there will probably be people from different age groups, subjects and nationalities in every college! I don't know if foundation students are banded together though... I hope so, because everyone here seems very nice!
Hope you have a great day! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone, got an offer for Philosophy with foundation year- only need a pass mark (on my access course) Happy!! Durham looks amazing! I didn't put a pref college on my application.. Hadn't done enough research on colleges only looked at course content etc. I really want a college on the old Bailey for several reasons.. Can anyone advise whether I could now give a preference by emailing admissions or st.chads after an offer (no college allocation till 7th March) as faqs says there a timeframe..anyone doing the same? Thanks!
Original post by EarthCircus

Hey :smile: Congratulations!
I think their aim is to keep all colleges as diversed as possible. So each college has a certain number of students from each departement. If the number of students: 1-holding offers from the same department and 2-applied to a specific college, was greater than the number of students the college had set for accepting students from this particular departement, then they allocate some students to other colleges who haven't yet reached fhis departement's students' numbers'. So for example i was accepted for politics with foundation and i have applie to collingwood; Each college has already set a maximum number for students in my department, say 50; now i want to go to collingwood but maybe 60 other students have been accepted from my same department and also set collingwood as their preferred college, then only 50 will be allocated in collingwood, and the other 10 will be allocated to colleges who haven't reached 50 yet.
I think (but not sure) they do the same with mature and international students, so whereever you will be allocated, you will have with you other mature students and other students from the foundation year.
I hope that helps.
Original post by GreenMachine3006
Hey everyone, got an offer for Philosophy with foundation year- only need a pass mark (on my access course) Happy!! Durham looks amazing! I didn't put a pref college on my application.. Hadn't done enough research on colleges only looked at course content etc. I really want a college on the old Bailey for several reasons.. Can anyone advise whether I could now give a preference by emailing admissions or st.chads after an offer (no college allocation till 7th March) as faqs says there a timeframe..anyone doing the same? Thanks!

I personally don't know, worth emailing the university and checking.
Congratulations of course :smile:
Unconditional offer for Politics received at 16:45 tonight. Just as I was beginning to lose hope haha
Original post by matt_turner91
Unconditional offer for Politics received at 16:45 tonight. Just as I was beginning to lose hope haha

Congratulations !!! We are going to be classmates hopefully :smile:
I just firmed durham for politics with foundation
How does one get an unconditional offer ?? Been out of education for 3 years an applied for Foundation Law. What are my chances of an offer ??
Reply 108
how many have applied for general engineering with foundation? i have received a unconditional offer
Just received an email,,, i ve been allocated in Collingwood :smile:) hope all of you get allocated at your preference choice as well,, and if ( god forbid ) you didnt get your preference choice, then i hope they allocate you in Collingwood because all of you seem really nice :biggrin:
in any case i think we should all meet in October, should be fun :smile:
St. Mary's, I'll take that!
Hi guys, I've applied to Economics with a foundation year on the 8th December and I still haven't heard anything back.

I'm now worried that even if I do get an offer, my chances of getting my preferred college allocation are diminishing day by day as college allocations have already begun. I've emailed a few people at the foundation center to ask about this but no one has replied.... is there anything else that I can do but wait. Durham is my top choice and if I get in I'll be so pleased but having my preferred college would be an extra bonus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I an international student!! Offer received for Law with foundation at St.Chad's(still pending) but still considering either to take King's IFP or Durham, any suggestion?
Just got an offer from Stephenson College, but on the website it lists Politics with Foundation as being located at Durham City. Any ideas?
Just got an offer from Stephenson College, but on the website it lists Politics with Foundation as being located at Durham City. Any ideas?

You might later receive another letter informing you that there is a system error. I got the same thing too!
Spoken to The Foundation Centre and they said that it is a mistake, I'll be assigned a City college in the next few days :smile:
Spoken to The Foundation Centre and they said that it is a mistake, I'll be assigned a City college in the next few days :smile:

Same thing happened to me and 11 others. The admissions people might have let on that it is either st.aidens or Collingwood, though my pref was chads. I did log in to post offer open day-says my accom will be st.aidens so chances are that's my college. If you don't know how to check that msg me.

Yes, I received mine from St.Chads today so I believe all of you guys might get your letters very soon:biggrin:
Hey guys c: unconditional for Anthropology with Foundation. Got assigned Snow even though it's a City campus course, they're sorting it for me, but no news yet :/
Original post by RiverLavoisier
Hey guys c: unconditional for Anthropology with Foundation. Got assigned Snow even though it's a City campus course, they're sorting it for me, but no news yet :/

Likewise, 12 people were misallocated to j.snow. Admissions told me on Monday that I will know by Friday! Let know if you hear anything tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending