Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rivvies)
    I heard back 18:29 to be exact, but I don't know how and when the admissions team works !

did you get a email from UCAS or the university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makker)
    did you get a email from UCAS or the university?
    from UCAS, saying "UCAS Status Notification", then I would login into track and saw that I got a conditional. Haven't heard anything from dundee, other than changes in evision when I firmed the offer an hour later.

ReputationRep:
    from UCAS, saying "UCAS Status Notification", then I would login into track and saw that I got a conditional. Haven't heard anything from dundee, other than changes in evision when I firmed the offer an hour later.

oh jeez that sounds so tense "status notification" xD

ReputationRep:
    Same! I tripped three times today already.
    Aw, McDonalds is an option for me now too, but I'm hoping to be able to work in HobbyCraft, the shop is incredible. I heard that once you work in McDonald's, you never eat their food again. xD
    I have a feeling that I'll be missing school soon too... I'm in denial now basically, so to feel better and younger I bought myself jelly beans (typed belly jeans at first, heh.) and fruit juice for babies (not to pretend I don't eat baby fruit desserts now and then, but I wanted to make a point).
    In Poland, our exams start on the 4th of May this year and last up until the 22nd, including the oral exams. So it's not that far apart!
    What subjects were you taking?

I hope we all do well on the exams

Also, I'm wondering - since I hear that you, Makker, are doing a gap year, and Keilidh is already doing a course, how old are you all? I know that in the UK high school finishes a bit earlier than in Poland, I'm nineteen and I'm freshly out of high school. In Germany, as I recall, the system is quite similar to ours?

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 19 a couple of weeks ago, but I finished my last year of school when I was 18. Majority of people starting uni in Scotland are 18, unless they take a gap year or something

ReputationRep:
    Waait, rivvies, so you /did/ get an offer? I think I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    Omg I just got an offer too, I'm so happy ... I wish you guys all the luck!!
    Can confirm rivvies in in.

ReputationRep:
    ...Oh, alright. I, uh, I forgot it was you, rivvies, I'm sorry. :v

ReputationRep:
    No problem Nyriel haha

I sometimes eat fries and ice cream at McDonald's, but I can't really eat most of the stuff since I'm a vegetarian , we get a 70% discount on products though when we eat there so that's awesome. Yeah, most people I know prefer Burger King and the people that work at BK prefer McDonald's hehe.

Well, I don't know about Polands system, but we generally (with variations between the different parts of Germany) have two Advanced Courses (5 hrs a week) and write our written exams in these, then write in one other subject and one oral examination in another one. We usually finish school with 18, after 12 years (was changed recently from 13 years, which caused quite the discussion)

For me that was English and Art Advanced Course, then Maths (ugh that sucked ) and my oral exam is going to be Philosophy!

I turned 18 this February !

ReputationRep:
    I turned 20 in March

Still not heard anything yet, this is so nerve wracking! Have any of you had any luck?

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, oh I wish they would hurry this is killing me

ReputationRep:
    Oh, 70% off ice cream, that sounds like a deal for me.

You mean 5 hours a week for the whole year? What we have is three years of high school after three years of, um, middle school? Then, at the end of high school, we write our exams from which basic Polish, a chosen language and maths are compulsory (plus orals in Polish and a chosen language), and the other ones you can choose. I took extended Polish, English, and History of Arts, and I've got a love-hate relationship with the last one (:
    And I see you love maths as much as I do!

And I'm still waiting too, uh.

ReputationRep:
    I did 7 years of primary which was from age 6 - 12 then secondary school 12 - 18.

I had exams in the 4th, 5th and 6th years. And Maths was compulsory for 4th and English was compulsory until 6th year.

For my last two years I did highers in English, Drama, Art and Music and Advanced Highers in Art and Music. Though I didn't do the exam for art due to reasons with the teachers being awful. I have all the work however!

ReputationRep:
    We go to elementary school for four years.
    (usually ~ 6-10)

Then we are "sorted" into different "further schools" for the remaining school years based on some unknown criteria (actually intelligence and academic ability, but obviously it's kind of irrational cause the kids are like 10? )

Supposedly most intelligent -> Gymnasium - 8 years, ending with Abitur (our version of A Levels) and a permission to study at universities.

Well, average - > Gesamtschule - you can optionally do your Abitur there, but it's not the "straight way"

Average -> Realschule, "the rest" -> Hauptschule, others - you can't study at universities and don't take Abitur exams, but you might transfer to Gesamtschule or Gymnasium.

I went to the Gymnasium!
    So we don't have a middle school

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer. Oh my god. I was so sure I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tronicfalc)
    Congrats! I'm so pleased for you!

ReputationRep:
    Okays. We've just got a distinction between two types of high school, kind of: a technical school (4 years) or a regular one (3 years). Apart from that it's the same for everyone.

Wow, congrats! So it works, I'm going to go mess up a game.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo great! Congrats!

5 hours (normal subjects are 3hr/week) a week for two years! And almost all the grades and tests written in the two years prior to Abitur contribute to the final grade.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

I'm still in a state of disbelief.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.