Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asexual Demigod)
    Yes, I'm a mythical creature. Much like a unicorn. :cool:
    Unicorns are extinct now but they certainly existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Like...

Mr Tumnus from Narnia.

(more relevant, Pan's Labyrinth)
    oh right, i think i get it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Jack)
    A uni friend came out as a pansexual this week what I understand is that he's attracted to anything with a pulse even trans people. This got me thinking that it was pointless to come as pansexual because you can choose to be straight/gay/whateversexual whereas the other sexualities bar bi you have to make a choice and stick with it. Is it attention seeking? My closest friend said that it's an attention-seeking thing? I'm not so sure.
    It's not attention-seeking. It's just how they want to identify. Just like someone identifies as straight and another person identifies as bi and another as gay, etc etc.

It's pretty much just like being bi, but perhaps with a bit more interest in trans/genderfluid/etc people I think? I've even seen a lot of people admitting that they're pan but saying they're bi because a) most people know what bi means and b) it's almost the same thing really.

It's not attention-seeking. They just don't care about the gender of the person they're with. Why would that be attention-seeking? It's like saying someone loves all kinda of ice cream and someone telling them they're attention seeking, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Jack)
    Reading about the different genders is incredibly confusing. What happened to the good ol' days were people didn't get offended and boys were boys and girls were girls? I can't deal.
    It is rather confusing isn't it haha? Sometimes it might be a bit over the top, but basically I think mostly due to social norms and differences put between boys and girls even from a young age, many people identify as different. Or maybe they really do feel like they should have a penis instead of boobs? I honestly don't understand 100% myself, but it's just how they want to identify and when you really think about it, whether or not we call someone with a penis "she" shouldn't mean anythng - it's literally just a few changes in language. The only thing people get confused about seems to be the whole social diference thing between women and men, which is for the most part a load of rubbish.

So yeah I think even if it's hard to understand, you can do research or ask people about it and hopefully you will accept it

ReputationRep:
    And I'm a quadrisexual gender-fluid velociraptor who identifies as an F-1.

People make up so many Genders to be unique. And the Social justice warriors just swallow it all up. There are 2 genders and 3 sexualities. Ofcourse there are trans people but they are people from gender X who identify as gender Y. Pansexuality is bisexuality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wightvader1)

People make up so many Genders to be unique. And the Social justice warriors just swallow it all up. There are 2 genders and 3 sexualities. Ofcourse there are trans people but they are people from gender X who identify as gender Y. Pansexuality is bisexuality
    Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :console:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

So prove it then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)
    It's pretty much just like being bi, but perhaps with a bit more interest in trans/genderfluid/etc people I think?
    No, that's not right. The difference is hard to explain, and some people identify as both bi and pan. As far as I understand it, bisexual people (such as myself) tend to notice gender presentation, but it won't tend to have much of an effect on whether we find someone attractive - their gender is just another thing about them, like their eye colour. Pansexual people, on the other hand, tend to mention a feeling of "gender blindness", meaning that they don't really notice a person's gender in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    No, that's not right. The difference is hard to explain, and some people identify as both bi and pan. As far as I understand it, bisexual people (such as myself) tend to notice gender presentation, but it won't tend to have much of an effect on whether we find someone attractive - their gender is just another thing about them, like their eye colour. Pansexual people, on the other hand, tend to mention a feeling of "gender blindness", meaning that they don't really notice a person's gender in the same way.
    Spot on in my case. :yy:

ReputationRep:

Actually, the concept of a third gender is prevalent in several non-Western cultures. We just don't hear much about it. Of course, people take it to ridiculous lengths (I saw someone trying to justify "space alien" as a legitimate gender recently), but most people don't take them seriously because they're just cisgender people who want to be special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    This made me literally roll over laughing... like a dog or a whale would be a more normal thing to be attracted to than a transgender person. LOL.

Anyway who gives a **** if it's attention seeking. You don't get to make a value judgement on how someone else chooses to self-identity. If he chooses to describe himself as pansexual then that's up to him and he is under no obligation to have that decision qualified by you, me or frankly any other person.
    THIS! HAHAHAHA! LOL! My thoughts exactly. Pansexual...hmm...let's see, this guy must be attracted to the Penguins in the zoo. Those sexy small wings, and that smooth fur...mmm...DAT ASS BABE! I can imagine him walking through a zoo and getting boners from looking at Hippopotamuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asexual Demigod)
    No, I'm not some liberal retard who gets moist over political correctness. I just think things are often more complicated than simple dichotomies. Like how people classify others racially as either black or white when each term includes many varied races.
    Those cases are entirely different. Only very few people, if any people, believe that race is simply 'black people' and 'white people', and that everyone, or almost everyone, is entirely explicable by virtue of those categories.

On the contrary, most people believe that 'male' and 'female' are adequate categories to fully describe the gender of almost all people, if not all people.

There is nothing wrong with this. Gender as a whole may be more complicated insofar as some men act like woman, and some women want to be men, or whatever. This doesn't, however, near any relationship to what genders there actually are and who is which gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    You're either straight or gay. (Bisexuality counts as gay)

/Flame Retardant Suit On.
    Don't lump bisexuals in with monosexuals, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lump bisexuals in with monosexuals, thanks.
    What's wrong with monosexuals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    What's wrong with monosexuals?
    Nothing's inherently wrong with them; it's just that by saying that every orientation is a subset of a monosexual one, you're completely invalidating those of us who aren't monosexual by any means. Bisexuals and pansexuals (bisexuals in particular) are also treated badly by monosexuals a lot of the time, either by gay people who say that we're "really just straight" and "want to be special", or by straight people who say that we're "untrustworthy" and "likely to cheat".

ReputationRep:
    Nothing's inherently wrong with them; it's just that by saying that every orientation is a subset of a monosexual one, you're completely invalidating those of us who aren't monosexual by any means. Bisexuals and pansexuals (bisexuals in particular) are also treated badly by monosexuals a lot of the time, either by gay people who say that we're "really just straight" and "want to be special", or by straight people who say that we're "untrustworthy" and "likely to cheat".
    Monosexual.. really? There's words for every bloody eventuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Monosexual.. really? There's words for every bloody eventuality.
    It's shorter than saying "people who are only attracted to one gender". Problem?

ReputationRep:
    It's shorter than saying "people who are only attracted to one gender". Problem?
    Straight or Gay?

ReputationRep:
    But if pansexual means being attracted to someone not because of their sexuality or gender but because of a certain physical preference (eg. tattoos, short hair etc) wouldn't that make everyone pansexual in a way because everyone has a certain feature they find attractive at a certain person right? For example some people think tattoos are really hot but can someone really be attracted to someone solely because of that physical characteristic to the point where being male or female is not important?? I can't imagine that being true to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miriam17)
    But if pansexual means being attracted to someone not because of their sexuality or gender but because of a certain physical preference (eg. tattoos, short hair etc) wouldn't that make everyone pansexual in a way because everyone has a certain feature they find attractive at a certain person right? For example some people think tattoos are really hot but can someone really be attracted to someone solely because of that physical characteristic to the point where being male or female is not important?? I can't imagine that being true to be honest.
    I can't speak for others, but personally as a pansexual I'm principally attracted by personality, and physical features come second, and gender doesn't really enter into the thing. Genuinely 100% don't care if you're male, female or any other gender you care to mention.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.