Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    I assumed it was related to finding a boyfriend or something.
    Ha, I don't think that was it.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather them worship the ground you walk on?

Stop being a miserable cow and cheer up luv

ReputationRep:
    I often get he's happy isn't he from people but that's more in customer service jobs and I do look quite moody

ReputationRep:
    It's just social rudeness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    **** knows what those people expect from us, but they're going to be waiting a long god damn time if they're expecting me to crack as smile and their sleazy ass.
    So much attitude crammed into such a tiny person.

I find it patronizing as well. Like anything you are down about is not really important.

Sometimes though I am fine. It's just how I look? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    If someone would ever tell me to cheer up, I'd give them a short speech... However, no one told me to smile. Unless we can count people at work who are almost strangers because you only spoke with them few times.

ReputationRep:
    why is being told to smile bad? why be sad?

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother used to say it to me when I was a younger, actually-moody teenager but even though I do have resting *****face, people never really tell me to smile in the street or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it happen to me with "mate" instead of "luv".

Live in Yorkshire, so you know.

It is frustrating because I am one of the happiest people I know. I certainly don't look it when they say that to me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    why is being told to smile bad? why be sad?
    Because not smiling doesn't imply sadness. Smiling unnaturally is hard work. It's people telling you to do something you don't want to do for no reason. Why do they think they can do that? I usually tell to go **** themselves. But hey, that's just me. I like my personal space.

ReputationRep:
    I get this a lot, it really annoys me because it's pure sexism - it's almost always men saying it to women, I rarely hear of it the other way around.

Men think women only exist to look good for them, plus they believe women are public property, so of course they have the right to stop you and tell you what to do with your face, of course you should be smiling for them at all times :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's really weird when I hear that girls experience this. Saying something like that to a girl in the street wouldn't even cross my mind :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Because not smiling doesn't imply sadness. Smiling unnaturally is hard work. It's people telling you to do something you don't want to do for no reason. Why do they think they can do that? I usually tell to go **** themselves. But hey, that's just me. I like my personal space.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    meh what a woman says and the truth are two totally different things tbh.
    dont think ive ever not got a smile when ive said this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?
    " an increased
    tendency to think always in terms
    of other people's point of view,
    and see things from their angle and how it makes them feel "

is a valuable life tool a lot of people do not have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I get this a lot, it really annoys me because it's pure sexism - it's almost always men saying it to women, I rarely hear of it the other way around.

Men think women only exist to look good for them, plus they believe women are public property, so of course they have the right to stop you and tell you what to do with your face, of course you should be smiling for them at all times :rolleyes:
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Get over yourself and your victim complex; it is not an issue of misogyny, as a plenty of male input in this thread demonstrates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Get over yourself and your victim complex; it is not an issue of misogyny, as a plenty of male input in this thread demonstrates.
    I despise feminism, but she is right.

It is a form of sexism and control and perhaps misogyny as to why men say this to women on the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    I despise feminism, but she is right.

It is a form of sexism and control and perhaps misogyny as to why men say this to women on the street.
    It's got nothing to do with gender. I don't know why I'm responding seriously when your reputation and your other posts make it clear that you're a troll bent on irking anyone and everyone you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    It's got nothing to do with gender. I don't know why I'm responding seriously when your reputation and your other posts make it clear that you're a troll bent on irking anyone and everyone you can.
    http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_bei...t-never-happen

mumsnet, lol. but they are right.

It is incredibly insensitive and disrespectful to other peoples emotions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    I do actually want to do something like this :lol:. Or say in my deepest and most monotonous voice possible "I'm smiling on the inside". :rofl: I'm not sure I would be able to keep a straight enough face to pull it off though.
    I really want to try that next time, just to see what his response or expression would be like.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.