Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    What inconsistency do you see here? Smoking doesn't double the chances of getting lung cancer, it is more than that but the point is that the risk is still a very small one. Men and women who smoke throughout their lives are 84.1% and 90.5% likely not to develop lung cancer respectively. The risk in the first place is almost non-existent, look at the figures for nonsmokers, they don't even make single percentage points. The risk for smokers is much higher than for nonsmokers, but still remains very slight.
    The way you worded the original post seemed to imply that the "double" was more an over-exaggeration than an under one - apologies if that wasn't how you wanted it to sound.

Maybe it's just different points of view but I certainly would find calling 0.2/0.4% an "almost non-existent" percentage a bit ludicrous; 0.4% is 1 in 250.

...and then you have calling 15.9/9.5% "infinitesimally small": 15.9% being around 1 in 6 for male smokers and around 1 in 11 for female smoker. I certainly don't think the 1 in 6 odds of developing lung cancer (from my apparent current odds of 1 in 500) is a "infinitesimally small" odd, and I think anyone who thinks it is is a bit of a fool.

Lung cancer is a slow and painful way to go, I think your "pros" to smoking are pretty insignificant if you weight up the benefits and the detrimental effects (which go beyond health reasons e.g. financially, appearance and generally being despised by non-smokers who have to breathe in the second-hand fumes).

As for one of your pros being that it's therapeutic or whatever it was.. the reason you find it therapeutic or relaxing is because you are feeding your craving, I don't think (and I know a lot of smoker that have said) your first few cigarettes do anything in terms of being therapeutic or relaxing until you have started to become addicted to the nicotine - which is not a good thing.. by your logic I can use that to argue heroin/cocaine/meth has the health benefit of being therapeutic after frequent use - again, quite a ludicrous thing to say.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's some 11 year old mentality you got going there lol. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serpentine111)
    Maybe it's just different points of view but I certainly would find calling 0.2/0.4% an "almost non-existent" percentage a bit ludicrous; 0.4% is 1 in 250.
    I would describe that as almost non-existent. One 250th is an extremely small proportion of our population.

...and then you have calling 15.9/9.5% "infinitesimally small": 15.9% being around 1 in 6 for male smokers and around 1 in 11 for female smoker. I certainly don't think the 1 in 6 odds of developing lung cancer (from my apparent current odds of 1 in 500) is a "infinitesimally small" odd, and I think anyone who thinks it is is a bit of a fool.
    There's no need to insult me personally. I did re-phrase later in the conversation but my main motive in describing it like that was to counteract what I see as a popular misconception that lung cancer is a dyed in the wool certainty of long term smoking when this is patently not the case. Perhaps you're more of a cautious individual than I am, but to me an 85% chance of not developing lung cancer is security enough for me to continue an enjoyable activity that does provide many other health benefits alongside its drawbacks and risks.

Lung cancer is a slow and painful way to go, I think your "pros" to smoking are pretty insignificant if you weight up the benefits and the detrimental effects (which go beyond health reasons e.g. financially, appearance and generally being despised by non-smokers who have to breathe in the second-hand fumes).
    I disagree, obviously. I believe that the many benefits outweigh the many but slight risks and I am not going to repeat everything I have already said in previous posts. For the slight risk of lung cancer, it protects against breast cancer, etc. etc.

The financial impact on me is extremely small and in a year and a half of smoking I have yet to notice any changes to my appearance at all.

I couldn't care less what others think of my lifestyle choices. Judgemental prigs are rarely desirable companions anyway - besides, it is extremely rare that I am smoking around non-smokers.

As for one of your pros being that it's therapeutic or whatever it was.. the reason you find it therapeutic or relaxing is because you are feeding your craving, I don't think (and I know a lot of smoker that have said) your first few cigarettes do anything in terms of being therapeutic or relaxing until you have started to become addicted to the nicotine - which is not a good thing..
    I have already responded to this. The therapeutic effects are independent to addiction. This has been demonstrated because people who have never encountered nicotine before have experienced them in controlled experiments. They are inherent to smoking and nicotine and not an illusion of addiction.

by your logic I can use that to argue heroin/cocaine/meth has the health benefit of being therapeutic after frequent use - again, quite a ludicrous thing to say.
    As above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocahontas lol)
    Please smoke. Cough your lungs out while you're at it. I won't miss you. In fact...no one will. :kiss:
    Not only a sexist but now wishing death on people. Disgusting. I'll speak to some of my mod friends tomorrow to get your ban sorted out. You need a timeout.

ReputationRep:

This message is hidden because Messiah Complex is on your ignore list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castro Saint)
    That's some 11 year old mentality you got going there lol. Well done.
    He was born in 94 I'd assume, judging by his name. That makes him 20 so apparently he's stuck in high school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mals94)
    couple of points about smoking;
    - only at night, on nights out/house parties
    -only when it is ice cold, or if little flakes of snow are falling down
    - only go for 1 during the night unless it is a special occasion (but then the smell on yourself isn't succinct so loses some appeal)
    - get a cigarette from someone else, do not buy a packet

getting back from a night out with a combined smell of the ice cold air, smoke, alcohol, hair spray, aftershave, and girl(s) mmmmmmm YES
    Smoking when it is ice cold outside is an utter annoyance, especially when you have to for one every hour.

People who only smoke on nights out and steal cigarettes are widely held in utter contempt by real smokers. Do yourself a favour and don't.

Smoking isn't cool, nor glamorous. It is just annoying, unhealthy and expensive. Take it from a smoker. The only positive attribute of smoking is getting to chat to people in smoking areas, but last time I checked you don't even need to smoke for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. Do you still believe that smoking has no benefits and the risk is not exaggerated? What about doctors making £88m annually from being heavily opposed to smoking?
    How many would you say you smoke on average per day? And no I believe that the cons list completely outweighs the pros

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Charlotte15)
    How many would you say you smoke on average per day? And no I believe that the cons list completely outweighs the pros

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you going to provide an explanation?

I smoke about five per day.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It smells badly too. I also don't fancy spbreathing in your vile habit.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to provide an explanation?

I smoke about five per day.
    An explanation to what? My opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i've thought about trying it and then I caught myself on and remembered how it killed my grandparents.

I'm not saying everyone who smokes dies just there is a high risk. There are alot of people who only smoke a few cigarettes a week which wouldn't cause a lot of damage.

If it wasn't stinking and had bad health effects i'd really consider it but after listening to my aunt who quite recently describe how awful and controlling it is i'd think not!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaaacup)
    i cant say much but smoking is not nice tbh. like from a girls point of view its not always attractive.when i smoke i only socially smoke, so when im drunk.. it got to a point where every weekend i would smoke. i hate it and i dont know why i did it and its just horrible. but do what you like its your own body
    I really can't get this social smoking stuff. People say its nicer when you drink but how can something which tastes revolting taste nice?? Ugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Lol, who still thinks smoking is cool in this day and age, apart from silly teenagers who are desperate to fit in and aren't strong enough to rise above peer pressure? There's no benefit whatsoever to smoking, there's only cost.
    That would be most people in my sixth form year who went out. They all smoked when they went out and they all still do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alapa)
    I started smoking when I was 15. I was an immature sheep.
    Fast forward 5 years and I'm addicted, broke, breath stinks, nasty teeth desperate for ciggies at inconvenient times (exams, cinema trips etc).

7 months ago I quit using e-cigs. Loads more money in the bank, feel ten times healthier, teeth cleaner etc. I'm weening myself of e-cigs and am a lot less addicted to nicotene all round.

Smoking is not cool. Quitting smoking is really cool. Not taking it up is SUPER COOL.
    Sometimes I do think of trying one cigarette but when I walk by people smoking and see that smell I think why bother. I have reached 19 so why start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklevisionary)
    Smoking is disgusting, those who have such a disgusting habit are repulsive to me and hopefully to everyone else, don't smoke.
    "Hopefully to everyone else?" So you think people should be hated just because they smoke? I love you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerMann)
    "Hopefully to everyone else?" So you think people should be hated just because they smoke? I love you.
    I said that I hope everyone else would be as equally repulsed as I am by the habit. I never said hated, there is quite a difference:rolleyes: love you too

ReputationRep:
    You'll smell bad, have less money, ruin your health and as attractive as smoking may seem having cravings all day will annoy the ***k out of you.
    There's plenty of better habits to pick up, but if you want to smoke that's your own business so go for it if you really want to

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.