Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it rude to constantly turn people down Watch

ReputationRep:
    47 likes for the first comment, and counting. I think OP lost this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Yeah but why do you turn them down. If you end u like a cat lady don't complain lol
    Because I don't see myself with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocahontas lol)
    47 likes for the first comment, and counting. I think OP lost this one.
    I don't care what people on this site think of me lol

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go out with someone, don't go out with them. However there are lots of people I haven't "clicked" with straight away, yet once I've got to know them I thought they were awesome. So if you never give them that chance, how will you ever know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I don't care what people on this site think of me lol
    Clearly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    If you don't want to go out with someone, don't go out with them. However there are lots of people I haven't "clicked" with straight away, yet once I've got to know them I thought they were awesome. So if you never give them that chance, how will you ever know?
    I know what you mean but then its sort of like wasting their time,seeing as you'd have to most likely break it to them that you just wanna be friends.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean but then its sort of like wasting their time,seeing as you'd have to most likely break it to them that you just wanna be friends.
    Dating is mostly wasting time, lol. Who stays with the first person they go on a date with? Pretty much nobody!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Dating is mostly wasting time, lol. Who stays with the first person they go on a date with? Pretty much nobody!
    Even after going on several dates?

ReputationRep:
    Even after going on several dates?
    Some people spend years together and still break up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Hey everyone I'm soooo popular with the guyz.
    :rofl: +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Self explanatory
    She was actually genuinely trying to be polite and save the guy from wasting his time/energy methinks; I know her very well and she doesn't strike me as being at all arrogant, just FYI

He is beta tho,no need to sugarcoat it
    No, I've spoken to him a fair bit in the past, he's not, and even if he were there's no need to be quite so crass

Oh I have asked him several times
    Usually when you ask someone out you give a specific date/time/location :borat:

Foo,a romantic stroll in New York would be just your sort of thing!
    I remain to be convinced :haughty:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..but welcome invitations :gah:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is going places..

ReputationRep:
    I think it is worse to give them false hopes. Rip the bandage quick and painless.

ReputationRep:
    Like for dates? I mean I get it if there's no attraction but what if you generally just don't click?

i just feel like,it makes me look bad.
    i've had many offers from respectable,great looking gentlemen and I was joking about this whole situation with a friend of mine yesterday who said something along the lines of... It doesn't make you look good and would put me off ever asking you out,even tho I knew he joking but I guess he has a point.

i just truly want to be with a certain person right now but I don't want to come across an an arrogant young lady to other men who ask me out.
    there nothing wrong with turning people down that you don't click with, because just imagine your dating someone and you feel like you don't click but you leave it a couple of months because your unsure on how you feel and just don't want to look bad... meanwhile the person your dating is falling deeply madly in love with you feeling like your the one they want to be with forever how are they going to feel after months of you umming and aring on weather you like them and then finishing them? look at it from both sides,. you cant help it if you don't like someone just be honest don't hurt the other person and you'll be fine if that makes sense xx

ReputationRep:
    You're under absolutely no obligation to go out with people you don't want to, for whatever reason

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like your friend is a jerk and you should probably stop listening to him.

In general, you have no obligation to spend time with anyone you don't want to spend time with. You're a busy person with lots of things to worry about -- work, family, studies, friends -- and your time is valuable. Don't let a man think it's not just because he feels like he's entitled to your time just because he... what? had the "courage" to ask you out? If you start giving 4 hours of your life to every guy who puts in that kind of effort you're not going to have much free time left.

As for how it will make you look, it will probably make you come across as more attractive to men, honestly, as it makes you seem selective. As far as making you seem arrogant, I think it will only make you seem arrogant if you do it in an arrogant way. If you just say, "Sorry, but I don't feel like there's much chemistry between us, and I'm also really busy with school right now; nothing personal, you seem like a great guy!" then anyone who gets offended or thinks your arrogant has his own problems that he needs to sort out. That's not your job.

In general, in life -- especially when you're an attractive woman -- a lot of people (often men) are going to try to manipulate you into feeling bad for something that's not your fault in order to get you to spend time with them, take care of them, listen to them, etc. You have to learn to see what's a "me problem" and what's a "you problem". If you -- a perfect stranger -- is getting bent out of shape because I don't automatically want to go out with you just because you bothered to ask... that's what we call a "you problem", Mr. Casanova.

In sum, you're doing great. When you meet someone you like, I'm sure you'll go out with him and have a great time. Until then, do what you want.

(I'm a man by the way.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    She was actually genuinely trying to be polite and save the guy from wasting his time/energy methinks; I know her very well and she doesn't strike me as being at all arrogant, just FYI

No, I've spoken to him a fair bit in the past, he's not, and even if he were there's no need to be quite so crass

Usually when you ask someone out you give a specific date/time/location :borat:

I remain to be convinced :haughty:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..but welcome invitations :gah:
    You tell them uncle foo,and thank you
    I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to fly with me to New York City for Valentine's Day
    Btw do you or anybody else on this forum know what the term snow bunny means? In a certain context. There was this guy on the tube today who kept calling me his snow bunny,but was like'you could be my snow bunny,I want you to be my snow bunny'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metonymy3)
    It sounds like your friend is a jerk and you should probably stop listening to him.

In general, you have no obligation to spend time with anyone you don't want to spend time with. You're a busy person with lots of things to worry about -- work, family, studies, friends -- and your time is valuable. Don't let a man think it's not just because he feels like he's entitled to your time just because he... what? had the "courage" to ask you out? If you start giving 4 hours of your life to every guy who puts in that kind of effort you're not going to have much free time left.

As for how it will make you look, it will probably make you come across as more attractive to men, honestly, as it makes you seem selective. As far as making you seem arrogant, I think it will only make you seem arrogant if you do it in an arrogant way. If you just say, "Sorry, but I don't feel like there's much chemistry between us, and I'm also really busy with school right now; nothing personal, you seem like a great guy!" then anyone who gets offended or thinks your arrogant has his own problems that he needs to sort out. That's not your job.

In general, in life -- especially when you're an attractive woman -- a lot of people (often men) are going to try to manipulate you into feeling bad for something that's not your fault in order to get you to spend time with them, take care of them, listen to them, etc. You have to learn to see what's a "me problem" and what's a "you problem". If you -- a perfect stranger -- is getting bent out of shape because I don't automatically want to go out with you just because you bothered to ask... that's what we call a "you problem", Mr. Casanova.

In sum, you're doing great. When you meet someone you like, I'm sure you'll go out with him and have a great time. Until then, do what you want.

(I'm a man by the way.)
    That you for the positive feedback

ReputationRep:
    I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to fly with me to New York City for Valentine's Day
    Oh wowzles! :woo:

Btw do you or anybody else on this forum know what the term snow bunny means?
    No clue, until I googled: was he non-white? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Oh wowzles! :woo:

No clue, until I googled: was he non-white? :beard:
    I can't waiiiiit plenty of champagne and red roses!!!

Yeah,but he had these bright green eyes,I think he was mixed race,latino and something else because he was saying some spanish words which overlap in italian abit.

what does it mean?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.