Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Actually last year Kensington and Chelsea had a higher murder rate than Lewisham. True story.
    According to Met data there were 3 murders in Kensington and Chelsea in 2014, 4 in Lewisham. There were also 97 rapes in RBKC and 226 in Lewisham. There were also zero murders in RBKC in 2013.

So I'm not sure why people are trying to suggest it's safer in Lewisham? Personally I wouldn't want to live there and I would never recommend it to someone who's never lived in London before. Maybe if they've lived in London for a while and have some street smarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    According to Met data there were 3 murders in Kensington and Chelsea in 2014, 4 in Lewisham. There were also 97 rapes in RBKC and 226 in Lewisham. There were also zero murders in RBKC in 2013.

So I'm not sure why people are trying to suggest it's safer in Lewisham? Personally I wouldn't want to live there and I would never recommend it to someone who's never lived in London before. Maybe if they've lived in London for a while and have some street smarts.
    This is getting silly. London is generally safe in most places. Just a bit of common sense and you won't fall victim to muggings or violence. The way posters are portray London is as though it is very dangerous. In reality it is just as safe or dangerous as any other large city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)

As someone who moved to Lewisham in May having never lived in London before, I'm actually really glad people recommended it to me because it is wonderful here.

I pay £1100 a month for a decent size flat with a garden and parking, there are trees lining the street made up of Victorian housing and the birdsong wakes you up in the morning. At the top of my road is Blackheath, and a short walk across that and you reach Greenwich Park. At the bottom of my road is Lewisham station - zone 2, 10 mins to London Bridge and 15 to Charing Cross and Victoria. The market will sell you a crate of mushrooms for two quid of 5kg of Onions. There's a mix of races and cultures and good cheap places to eat. People are friendly and I say Hi to my neighbours in the morning. My local councillor dropped by for tea when we moved into the area. At dusk the parakeets fly over the house before they roost and it reminds me of Peru

I regularly walk home from the station on my own in the evenings and get the night bus in the early hours. I have never felt threatened.

I don't want to live anywhere else in London that's for sure. .

I bet you've never even been to Lewisham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    As someone who moved to Lewisham in May having never lived in London before, I'm actually really glad people recommended it to me because it is wonderful here.

I pay £1100 a month for a decent size flat with a garden and parking, there are trees lining the street made up of Victorian housing and the birdsong wakes you up in the morning. At the top of my road is Blackheath, and a short walk across that and you reach Greenwich Park. At the bottom of my road is Lewisham station - zone 2, 10 mins to London Bridge and 15 to Charing Cross and Victoria. The market will sell you a crate of mushrooms for two quid of 5kg of Onions. There's a mix of races and cultures and good cheap places to eat. People are friendly and I say Hi to my neighbours in the morning. My local councillor dropped by for tea when we moved into the area. At dusk the parakeets fly over the house before they roost and it reminds me of Peru

I regularly walk home from the station on my own in the evenings and get the night bus in the early hours. I have never felt threatened.

I don't want to live anywhere else in London that's for sure. .

I bet you've never even been to Lewisham...
    Brava! :yy:Lol

Now I want to live in Lewisham. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

House prices have risen high in those areas so the loads of people in those areas who might be associated with trouble there have been priced out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    They are the most dangerous areas nevertheless.
    harlseden wasnt dangerous per say... just had a feeling of being dangerous lol. id recommend people to live in there areas actually, pops the bubble of delusion that spoilt students at university have for instance, open their eyes to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    harlseden wasnt dangerous per say... just had a feeling of being dangerous lol. id recommend people to live in there areas actually, pops the bubble of delusion that spoilt students at university have for instance, open their eyes to the real world.
    I've been around that area before, and also read plenty on the web that it is a mugging hotspot. There are some decent areas not far, such as Rayners Lane and Park Royal.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Croydon and I would 100% avoid it, particularly West Croydon and Thornton Heath

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also looking for which area to rent in as I'll be moving to London in October to study. I'll be studying in the Swiss Cottage area and have roughly £200 per week available to spend on rent. Any recommendations nearby? Looked at Primrose Hill but that's crazy expensive haha

ReputationRep:
    How would Londoners rate Finchley? One of the better areas like Ealing I thought from first impressions, but don't know much beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light_bulb)
    No go areas:

Peckham
    Brixton
    Hackney
    Lewisham
    Croydon
    Kensal Rise
    Harlesden

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham
    This is rubbish who ever wrote this list seems poorly informed about the realities of London!!

ReputationRep:
    There is not a single 'No-go' area in London or any other major city in the United Kingdom. It is an incredibly safe city by global standards. Sure there are relatively poorer areas, but what is realistically going to happen to you walking through Edmonton at 1AM? 99% of the time absolutely nothing in the slightest.

I find it difficult to hear British people talk about crime with such a stance. I lived in Medellin for a few years when I was younger and that city genuinely does have areas you can not go to; not with a slight risk of a kid in air max's swearing at you but a certainty you are getting held up with a machete or gun.

ReputationRep:
    There's very few places that put me on edge walking around at night and I've lived around the world. London is unfortunately one of them unless you're smack in the middle of it - it just has this weird vibe. Obviously it isn't by any means dangerous but I never felt entirely comfortable unless I was with someone. I live in London, ON at the moment and I feel fine walking around outside at 4 AM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    There's very few places that put me on edge walking around at night and I've lived around the world. London is unfortunately one of them unless you're smack in the middle of it - it just has this weird vibe. Obviously it isn't by any means dangerous but I never felt entirely comfortable unless I was with someone. I live in London, ON at the moment and I feel fine walking around outside at 4 AM.
    Interesting. I genuinely thought it was just me that felt that way.

ReputationRep:
    West London endz. I run them streets 😜

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.