The Student Room Group

Sex/Relationship Education at school; the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyrical_lie
I definitely agree, if people have the education then hopefully that will give them the confidence to know what to do in situations. Also they wouldn't have to seek out the info and have the awkward conversations if they already have an incline of what to do.

it might also lower the amount of people saying "I had oral sex, can I get pregnant?" or just lowering the amount of teen pregnancies and STIs.
My sex education consisted of:

A three minute video on periods in Year 5
Watching movies
Having obscenely funny friends

-

Everything I learned, I learned from the movies
Reply 102
For Years 7-11, I got sex/relationship-ed pretty much every year in PSHE. With each year, more information was given (I assume to be more suitable for our ages). I remember we learned about how our bodies work at some point in Biology as well. As much as that school had flaws, they did well at letting us know about these things. We didn't get much talk about homosexuality or anything. I think it was mentioned once but I don't remember. Any other sexualities; we weren't taught at all. I didn't know anything about asexuality, pansexuality, gender fluidity etc until I started using things like tumblr.
On the other hand, the school I am currently in (I moved for Sixth Form and I'm in Year 13), my friends tell me they never got proper information on sexual education at all and some of the questions they ask in relation to the topics surprise me. This is probably due to the school being Catholic I guess. It's a very good school, best school in my town I believe, but a lot of my friends are frustrated that they didn't get taught the important things in sex-ed.
Original post by RFowler
I'm wondering if that is from years ago, or if it is fairly recent. I would have thought that was a problem of the past, but if it's recent then there is still work to be done. Religion should not be an excuse to teach kids dangerous utter BS.

Just be thankful we're not in the USA, where abstinence sex ed is taught in a lot of schools in the more Conservative areas, despite the fact that study after study has proven it to be completely useless.

Unfortunately it still happens. My sister had a shocking whole day of talks by an outside group about abstinence in her all girls' Catholic sixth form, only 1 or 2 years ago.

As one demonstration, they got a girl to stand up and wrapped cellotape around her, then took it off and stuck it back, then took it off and now it wasn't sticky anymore. They said this was exactly what happens to a girl when she has sex. At first it can be pleasurable, but as she gets 'used' it no longer is.

I cried when she told me, that's a hideous message that doesn't even make any sense. Any Catholic girl that takes on board everything she's told (and there were a rare few who really did) will believe that even if she does everything 'right' and waits for marriage, she's still doomed to a life of unpleasant sex because she's used up and valueless. My sister complained to the head about it, but they defended the whole horrible thing; I imagine they asked them back again each year since.

One of my friends (aged 18) who had gone to the secondary there too got her first boyfriend. She didn't do anything physical with him but she started secretly going to church regularly crying, begging for forgiveness in prayers. She finally opened up to her friends about her terrible sin, and was shocked to find out that simply feeling the urge to kiss her boyfriend was completely normal. Then she became angry at her parents and school for deceiving her.
Original post by Ribbits
Unfortunately it still happens. My sister had a shocking whole day of talks by an outside group about abstinence in her all girls' Catholic sixth form, only 1 or 2 years ago.

As one demonstration, they got a girl to stand up and wrapped cellotape around her, then took it off and stuck it back, then took it off and now it wasn't sticky anymore. They said this was exactly what happens to a girl when she has sex. At first it can be pleasurable, but as she gets 'used' it no longer is.

I cried when she told me, that's a hideous message that doesn't even make any sense. Any Catholic girl that takes on board everything she's told (and there were a rare few who really did) will believe that even if she does everything 'right' and waits for marriage, she's still doomed to a life of unpleasant sex because she's used up and valueless. My sister complained to the head about it, but they defended the whole horrible thing; I imagine they asked them back again each year since.

One of my friends (aged 18) who had gone to the secondary there too got her first boyfriend. She didn't do anything physical with him but she started secretly going to church regularly crying, begging for forgiveness in prayers. She finally opened up to her friends about her terrible sin, and was shocked to find out that simply feeling the urge to kiss her boyfriend was completely normal. Then she became angry at her parents and school for deceiving her.

I think that seems to back up ChaoticButterfly's original comment about that sort of thing being "child abuse". The last paragraph in particular. It sounds like they were pushing harmful propaganda rather than teaching the facts.

This is Britain and it's the 21st century, this kind of rubbish should not be tolerated. That kind of thing really makes my blood boil sometimes.
Original post by Ribbits

Wow that's crazy! We didn't have anything like that at our school and ours was a private catholic one so technically they could have taught us anything they wanted. They just didn't teach us anything, which although not great a lot better than propaganda and utter nonsense.
Reply 106
Original post by lyrical_lie
Wow that's crazy! We didn't have anything like that at our school and ours was a private catholic one so technically they could have taught us anything they wanted. They just didn't teach us anything, which although not great a lot better than propaganda and utter nonsense.

The Catholic religion is one of the few religions in the world that is actually against sex in any form, even in marriage. Having sex and then children is to that religion a unfortunate cause of nature, that is why when a baby is Christened it is to purify the 'dreadful act' of sex of how that baby was conceived in the first place, so its no surprise that in Catholic Schools girls are taught of how bad sex actually is, even in marriage.
My memory of sex education:

Primary school - puberty
Secondary school - learnt a bit in year 7 about how you get pregnant. I remember one time when the topic of homosexuality was brought up (crazy catholic school) some kids said that if one if their kids turned out gay they'd physically beat the gay out of them :lolwut: didn't know that bisexuality existed as I was taught that it wasn't a thing so made me working out I was bi a lot harder :erm:

Also, we got told that we are sinners if we mastabated as we are killing potential children :erm:

That said, one kid ended up going through all the sex positions he does with his girlfriend :rofl:

Basically I learnt most of my sex ed through my own experiences going wrong, friends and the internet
Reply 108
Original post by Slowbro93
My memory of sex education:

Primary school - puberty
Secondary school - learnt a bit in year 7 about how you get pregnant. I remember one time when the topic of homosexuality was brought up (crazy catholic school) some kids said that if one if their kids turned out gay they'd physically beat the gay out of them :lolwut: didn't know that bisexuality existed as I was taught that it wasn't a thing so made me working out I was bi a lot harder :erm:

Also, we got told that we are sinners if we mastabated as we are killing potential children :erm:

That said, one kid ended up going through all the sex positions he does with his girlfriend :rofl:

Basically I learnt most of my sex ed through my own experiences going wrong, friends and the internet

That is absolutely rubbish regarding masturbating and killing potential children, the males human body manufactures naturally in a man's testicules millions of sperm per day, so if a boy masturbates just to get rid of that lot you are "killing" millions of sperm, just a lot of tosh, it is natural for a boy to get rid of that lot by either masturbating or having 'wet dreams'
Original post by almorr
That is absolutely rubbish regarding masturbating and killing potential children, the males human body manufactures naturally in a man's testicules millions of sperm per day, so if a boy masturbates just to get rid of that lot you are "killing" millions of sperm, just a lot of tosh, it is natural for a boy to get rid of that lot by either masturbating or having 'wet dreams'

That's what I said and she sent me out of the class :rofl:
Reply 110
Original post by Slowbro93
That's what I said and she sent me out of the class :rofl:

Yes, that's typical, she does not like to face the truth, anyway, what does she know about the feeling a boy has when his balls are about to burst with the amount of semen which one way or another HAS to be realised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending