The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TazzyBoo
Yep! Hopefully I'll be going to Oxford this year (grades permitted), which is why I was so curious!

The reasoning behind your username?

Because I initially joined to ask a weight-loss-related question.

Adipocyte Apoptosis

that sort of thing
Yep! Hopefully I'll be going to Oxford this year (grades permitted), which is why I was so curious!

The reasoning behind your username?

And congraulations on your offer, I'm sure you'll make the grades.
Original post by Adipoptosis
Because I initially joined to ask a weight-loss-related question.

Adipocyte Apoptosis

that sort of thing

Have you been successful in losing the weight?
Have you been successful in losing the weight?

Actually I had already been successful by the time I asked.

I just wanted to know about building muscle.

It was a post-weight-loss-now-I-want-to-look-good-in-a-tshirt type question :smile:
Or maybe you were just asking generally and didn't actually have to lose any weight. *shrugs shoulders*
Extra-curricular activities. What should I do, not sure if I want to be a surgeon so just for medicine in general
Original post by saahil0987
Extra-curricular activities. What should I do, not sure if I want to be a surgeon so just for medicine in general

DofE Silver, Young Enterprise, Cricket school+club, Rugby B Team
Well done on getting were you are! Being in such a important position, how do you keep your concentration on the job? Do you worry/think about how your personal feelings may interfere with your working life? For example you may not like people of a certain race or religion or whatever it may be, but effectively their life lies in your hands in some situations and although you may not mean them any harm you could subconsciously make decisions which may hard them because of this.
Original post by College_Dropout
Well done on getting were you are! Being in such a important position, how do you keep your concentration on the job? Do you worry/think about how your personal feelings may interfere with your working life? For example you may not like people of a certain race or religion or whatever it may be, but effectively their life lies in your hands in some situations and although you may not mean them any harm you could subconsciously make decisions which may hard them because of this.

The honest answer is that I don't think any doctor being can totally eliminate such influences from their clinical practice.

What I personally do is I have a certain standard of care which I will not break, no matter what I am confronted with. This standard is based on what I would expect a competent and caring health professional to provide for me I was there. I just stick to this for everyone.

Where I break this is for people who particularly appeal to me. For example, if someone reminds me of my sister or my mum or someone I know then I may go the extra mile for them. Do things which I don't have to do but I know will make a benefit to them.

Ideally everyone should be treated by the second standard so I go back to my original statement, its not possible. Not in an environment with limited time and resources.
A few questions:

1. What kind of questions were you asked at your Oxford interview? I've heard rumours of really crazy things like being asked to explain the meaning behind a drawing of a stick person e.t.c. Was the interview mainly science based, or more around your personal statement?

2. How did you prepare for your interview?

3. where else did you apply? other than oxford?

:smile:
Original post by GCSEmoron
A few questions:

1. What kind of questions were you asked at your Oxford interview? I've heard rumours of really crazy things like being asked to explain the meaning behind a drawing of a stick person e.t.c. Was the interview mainly science based, or more around your personal statement?

2. How did you prepare for your interview?

3. where else did you apply? other than oxford?

:smile:

It was a mixture of science questions and questions based on my personal statement. Science questions were all based on AS and A2 Biology.

We had a couple mock interviews at school.

I applied to UCL, Imperial and KCL.
How do you feel that you're doing a good job of fooling everyone that you're a surgeon?

Your at best, just a med student.
Original post by bittr n swt
How do you feel that you're doing a good job of fooling everyone that you're a surgeon?

Think what you like :smile:
Original post by bittr n swt

What a nasty pessimistic comment.
Closed thread :smile:

Latest