Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Soooo hey guys!
    Just thought I'd make a thread where you can ask any questions about what it's like living in an African country as a non-native ,or anything else like that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    no I don't speak African

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you watch Nollywood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, the stereotypical view?I blame our media.Africa is not a poverty slum area like they portray.If you watch Nollywood you will see how beautiful the houses are there?
    i feel like you're being very hostile. i have come to learn about africa. i want to know how the average person lives in West Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    i feel like you're being very hostile. i have come to learn about africa. i want to know how the average person lives in West Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I apologise I don't intend to be hostile.It's just that when people say Africa negative connotations tend to come up which is annoying as it's not the full picture.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't been back in Africa since I was little so Im not fully sure about the last sentence though.

ReputationRep:
    what are the houses like? i do kind of think of africa as nothing but mut huts and fields and mud and stuff.
    Goes without saying that it varies drastically depending on where in the country..

http://www.google.com/search?q=Plate...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

http://www.google.com/search?q=Rivie...btnG=&tbm=isch

But in the more deprived parts you will find tiny huts etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I apologise I don't intend to be hostile.It's just that when people say Africa negative connotations tend to come up which is annoying as it's not the full picture.
    it is annoying for me as well because i know it can't be what it's really like. literally the only thing we see of africa in the news in the UK is poverty and disease. if we see anything positive it is of african children clapping and singing. this is 100% all we see.

ReputationRep:
    Goes without saying that it varies drastically depending on where in the country..

www.google.com/search?q=Plateau+Abidjan&prmd=iv nsm&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei =8EHWVMPNOI7datOPgOgL&ved=0CAYQ_ AUoAQ

www.google.com/search?q=Riviera+3+Abidjan&btnG= &tbm=isch

But in the more deprived parts you will find tiny huts etc..
    ok thank you for this. do you live in a "nice" area? is there much crime where you are? what are the police like?

ReputationRep:
    it is annoying for me as well because i know it can't be what it's really like. literally the only thing we see of africa in the news in the UK is poverty and disease. if we see anything positive it is of african children clapping and singing. this is 100% all we see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I agree.I remember sometimes in school when I was in Ireland people thought Africa was a country and I'm just like facepalm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How do the black population in Ivory Coast view you? I'm not sure about Ivory Coast but people with light skin in Nigeria are seen as the ideal beauty standard and your Lebanese (#bestlookinggirls out there) so just wondering?
    People are generally very friendly but its not like my family are new expats, Lebanese people have been in Ivory Coast(and other countries in West Africa) since the early 20th century, so here people are used to us lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there alot of cocoa in Ivory Coast? I heard they are the largest producer of cocoa.
    Yesssss!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you watch Nollywood?
    Not really haha

ReputationRep:
    I want to ask are you accepted in Africa despite not being a native?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    How's life for muslims in Ivory Coast?

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you for this. do you live in a "nice" area? is there much crime where you are? what are the police like?
    Yes
    A little! Thefts aren't uncommon, but I'd say it's relatively safe. Other parts of the city..not so much

The police are mostly ineffective tbh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    How's life for muslims in Ivory Coast?
    Normal.. I think there's a slightly higher percentage of Muslims than Christians here

ReputationRep:
    Normal.. I think there's a slightly higher percentage of Muslims than Christians here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, interesting never knew that, thought Christians were the majority?

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    A little! Thefts aren't uncommon, but I'd say it's relatively safe. Other parts of the city..not so much

The police are mostly ineffective tbh..
    what is employment like? do most people work? do you plan to ever leave and move to another country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I want to ask are you accepted in Africa despite not being a native?
    Difficult to answer..

Overall I'd say yes.People are generally friendly and accepting of non natives,but I don't think non natives will ever fully be welcomed and accepted if that makes sense? Like for e.g. after any political uprising(like the 2004/2011 civil war),non-natives are particularly targeted. French schools burnt down, foreigner owned shops looted.But the natives suffer most at these times, so idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, interesting never knew that, thought Christians were the majority?
    38% of population are Muslims, and 32% Christians

ReputationRep:
    38% of population are Muslims, and 32% Christians
    Why are you muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.