Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is "just be yourself" good advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Wanna bet?
    Sure, £200 says just being your (true) self results in you securing a new boyfriend who will support you through thick and thin and love you very muchly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Sure, £200 says just being your (true) self results in you securing a new boyfriend who will support you through thick and thin and love you very muchly
    And are you 100% sure about this theory/situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    Whether it's trying to make friends or going on a first date, is being yourself good advice?
    Does anyone have stories when being themselves worked or didn't or pretending to be someone else worked out better for them?
    "Just be yourself" is used for people who are shy and act awkward when they can't pull off a normal conversation because they're trying too hard.

"Just be yourself" doesn't always work because honestly, not all people should.

"Be the best you can be, for you and not for someone else" is more like it.

ReputationRep:
    And are you 100% sure about this theory/situation?
    You know how much of a tightass I am, and where that £200 has come from, you know I wouldn't gamble it on a whim

Put yourself in that situation, and you'll see how right I am :borat:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..just call me Mr. Right :smug:

ReputationRep:
    You know how much of a tightass I am, and where that £200 has come from, you know I wouldn't gamble it on a whim

Spoiler:
    Show
    Can you two just **** and get it over with or has that happened already?

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh I definitely know where it came from
    I'll tell you what,keep the 200 but in return I'll give you a getaway to Prague with a hotel that has breathtaking sights plus expensive champagne! How does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you what, keep the 200 but in return I'll give you a getaway to Prague with a hotel that has breathtaking sights plus expensive champagne! How does that sound?
    Haha, surely you wouldn't make a romantic break a wager in a bet now!? :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. It sounds awesome but I can of course only condone it if such a gesture constitutes being your true self

ReputationRep:
    Haha, surely you wouldn't make a romantic break a wager in a bet now!? :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. It sounds awesome but I can of course only condone it if such a gesture constitutes being your true self
    Is that a yes or a no? You no likey?!
    Is that the condition? that I can do ofcourse

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.