Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spurs9393)
    You call us stereotypical and then brand the majority of UKIP-voters as "not particularly smart." Stereotypical to say the least. And I won't have you - somebody I've never met - say that I'm not above average intelligence, when I know that I am.

It is true that not every immigrant is from a war-torn country, but that's not the problem. The problem is that Britain has become a haven for immigrants whom don't want to work. I know that not all immigrants claim benefits, but a significant number do. And plus, what all immigrants do is take up resources, jobs, and, when they have kids - under the NHS - school places. UKIP aren't saying put an end to immigration. They're not even saying deport immigrants who didn't arrive illegally. They just simply want a sensible control of method of keeping track of who comes into the country - what on earth is racist about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its just shaming tactics, they want Britain to commit cultural and economical suicide by filling the country full of people who aren't western and have zero to offer to the country. If we don't like it we're Nazi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    So you deny that the UKIP electorate comes from the Tory party?

Recently we've taken votes from across the board, that's why in Heywood and Middleton the Tory vote added to ukip would've won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em211997)
    The fact that no one who's voting ukip seems to have a clue about any other policies than leaving the EU and controlling borders is shocking. Do you know their policies on education? The environment? Foreign policy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For education, UKIP wants to reintroduce grammar schools or something of the sort to give talented children from all backgrounds, as special schools usually have high school fees that working class people cannot afford. UKIP also wants to make certain university subjects like science, medicine, and technology, engineering, and maths free. Ukip also wants to introduce an option for students to take an apprenticeship instead of GCSEs and A-Levels. Students from the EU will pay the same school fees as other international students.

UKIP supports a diverse energy market including coal, nuclear, shale gas, geo-thermal, tidal, solar, conventional gas and oil. UKIP also wants to repeal the Climate Change Act 2008 which costs the economy £18bn a year. In order to reduce fuel bills, UKIP will abolish green taxes and charges. UKIP supports the development of shale gas with proper safeguards for the local environment too. UKIP wants the UK to leave the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy. UKIP also wants food to be labelled to include the country of origin, method of production, method of slaughter, hormones and any genetic additives. UKIP wants to ban the export of live animals for slaughter.

UKIP will target foreign aid at healthcare initiatives, inoculations against preventable diseases and clean water programmes.

To read more about UKIP's policies, go to http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    So you deny that the UKIP electorate comes from the Tory party?
    I know you aren't asking me, but I do not deny that some of the UKIP electorate come from former Conservative voters. However, UKIP are also taking votes from former Labour, and Lib Dem voters, as well as people who have never voted before or have never voted in a long time.

I supported the Liberal Democrats in the 2010 election (even though I was a eurosceptic), but now I see how many promises the disaster known as Nick Clegg broke, and that they are another establishment party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    I know you aren't asking me, but I do not deny that some of the UKIP electorate come from former Conservative voters. However, UKIP are also taking votes from former Labour, and Lib Dem voters, as well as people who have never voted before or have never voted in a long time.

I supported the Liberal Democrats in the 2010 election (even though I was a eurosceptic), but now I see how many promises the disaster known as Nick Clegg broke, and that they are another establishment party.

I doubt if a significant number of people defect from the labour part to UKIP. Perhaps people on the fence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I doubt if a significant number of people defect from the labour part to UKIP. Perhaps people on the fence
    UKIP has the highest proportion of their vote from the working class, and are 2nd with ethnic minorities. They've got to be coming from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickbonista)
    UKIP has the highest proportion of their vote from the working class, and are 2nd with ethnic minorities. They've got to be coming from somewhere.

This working class are probaly just ex Tory voters who don't want their money stolen by the government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    This working class are probaly just ex Tory voters who don't want their money stolen by the government
    Perfectly rational position, Thatcher ingratiated much of the working class to the Tories by making them property owners. Our no tax on minimum wage policy helps them more than anyone else. Do you want your money stolen by the government to pass on to EU bureaucrats and foreign dictators?

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly rational position, Thatcher ingratiated much of the working class to the Tories by making them property owners. Our no tax on minimum wage policy helps them more than anyone else. Do you want your money stolen by the government to pass on to EU bureaucrats and foreign dictators?
    Precisely, that is a traditional Tory mentality, which the conservatives reject for some reason, the same reason that they have gravitated to the centre right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Precisely, that is a traditional Tory mentality, which the conservatives reject for some reason, the same reason that they have gravitated to the centre right
    It is interesting, the Tories fought '01 and '05 on tax, Europe and immigration and were slaughtered, UKIP campaign on same fronts and are rising, especially in the areas that would never elect Tories. It's primarily down to the legacy of Thatcher in my opinion, her name is still poison even among UKIP voters in much of the north. But rationally, our policies help the working classes, so it's no surprise to see them supporting a party that represents their views and concerns, and will enhance their prospects and prosperity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biodesign)
    If you do not vote for UKIP that is fine.

Please though understand what UKIP immigration policy is.

They want a point-based system similar to Australia, where we decide the numbers and skills.

As mentioned it is actually a much more ethical and fairer playing field.
    Yeah mate, but Aussie immigration policy is a) designed to increase their population, and b) has led to a 24-26% foreign-born population.

In the UK that figure is at 12% currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    Yeah mate, but Aussie immigration policy is a) designed to increase their population, and b) has led to a 24-26% foreign-born population.

The principle stands to judge people based on skills and suitability to live and work in Britain. Also, you may have noticed Australia have a lot of space to play with, whereas as we are the most crowded country in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather hack off my right hand with a rusty knife than put a cross next to ukip on a ballot form!!

ReputationRep:
    The principle stands to judge people based on skills and suitability to live and work in Britain. Also, you may have noticed Australia have a lot of space to play with, whereas as we are the most crowded country in Europe.
    Most of Aussie land is unliveable, though. You notice how they all live along the west coast in a line? (except Perth)

Please don't spread blatant lies on the internet. I think you'll find that the most crowded country in Europe is the Netherlands, followed by Belgium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

The UK is 3rd, or 51st in the world. Closely followed by Liechtenstein and Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Most of Aussie land is unliveable, though. You notice how they all live along the west coast in a line? (except Perth)

Please don't spread blatant lies on the internet. I think you'll find that the most crowded country in Europe is the Netherlands, followed by Belgium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

The UK is 3rd, or 51st in the world. Closely followed by Liechtenstein and Germany.
    If we're going to be pedantic, most people live on the eastern coast of Australia. 3rd most crowded is still high enough to be considered crowded. And as I said, you can't fault the principle the policy is based on.

ReputationRep:
    It is interesting, the Tories fought '01 and '05 on tax, Europe and immigration and were slaughtered, UKIP campaign on same fronts and are rising, especially in the areas that would never elect Tories. It's primarily down to the legacy of Thatcher in my opinion, her name is still poison even among UKIP voters in much of the north. But rationally, our policies help the working classes, so it's no surprise to see them supporting a party that represents their views and concerns, and will enhance their prospects and prosperity.
    It is one thing to want a UKIP government and another to make a tactical error which would be so disastrous (Miliband)

ReputationRep:

Us adopting an Australian point-based system does not mean we will implicate it the same way.

Britain is incredibly densely populated and has an open door to unskilled labour from EU member states.

So a point-based system would be open to the entire world, not the current favourtism of EU member states.

So unless you mean.. we will use the system in exactly the same way as the Australians. (Given the recent astonishing immigration levels of the UK) and the fact over 70% of the British population want it reduced I don't see the relevance as we have different needs to Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    Exist?
    You were quick to announce TSR is full of Tory supporters, while the Greens are gaining momentum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    It is one thing to want a UKIP government and another to make a tactical error which would be so disastrous (Miliband)
    Sure, if I lived in a marginal that was on the line (not the ones the Tories barely won in 2010 and are bound to lose, bye bye Anna Soubry ) I may tactically vote Tory to keep labour out. But in safe Tory, Tory lib dem marginals, or anywhere in the north, UKIP will be the main opposition. In the north it's vote Tory get labour. And long term, if you want UKIP to replace the Tories or labour and form governments, a few years of an unwanted government is little in comparison to prolonged stagnation of the two current main parties.

ReputationRep:
    a few years of an unwanted government is little in comparison to prolonged stagnation of the two current main parties.
    This is what would make me vote UKIP but I'm not sure

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2015
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.