Edexcel M4 Exam Discussion Thread [June 5th] Watch

TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cogito.)
Self studied M1-5, didn't encountered that problem before in M2. Anyway i'll have a check on textbooks.
well it is the same in M4

there is momentum exchange ONLY in the direction of the lines joining the centres of the spheres on impact.
Therefore
the restitution law is to be applied in the components of the velocities in that direction only.
Attached files
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cogito.)
Self studied M1-5, didn't encountered that problem before in M2. Anyway i'll have a check on textbooks.
Lol it is a whole chaper in M2. Ia ssume you did edexcel M2 ofcourse.
cogito.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I figured it out, painfully. Of course i understand the content or otherwise i won't do M5. I just don't understand why sometimes w-v not v-w if we don't know which one is bigger.
Now i understand it because of common sense that later one must be bigger or balls will become stick together.

(Original post by physicsmaths)
Lol it is a whole chaper in M2. Ia ssume you did edexcel M2 ofcourse.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I understood Relative Motion when I first learnt it months ago. I didn't practise it enough so I pretty much forgot it, and now I'm in relative motion hell . I hope the relative motion question this year is easy.
Vesniep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatPerson)
I understood Relative Motion when I first learnt it months ago. I didn't practise it enough so I pretty much forgot it, and now I'm in relative motion hell . I hope the relative motion question this year is easy.
Well ,the relative motion questions are usually the difficult questions in the paper.Luckily M4 has lower grade boundaries than any other unit (except of M5)
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the last two are for C3,C4 not for M4.
I 'll try them later. Thank you
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vesniep)
Well ,the relative motion questions are usually the difficult questions in the paper.Luckily M4 has lower grade boundaries than any other unit (except of M5)
The problem is that I'm aiming for 90+ UMS so I can secure the A* in FM before next week, which while reduce the pressure for my later exams significantly. Relative motion is the only obstacle to that.
Gawain
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem is that I'm aiming for 90+ UMS so I can secure the A* in FM before next week, which while reduce the pressure for my later exams significantly. Relative motion is the only obstacle to that.
If you are having problems with diagrams this close to the exam then possibly focussing on a vector approach is your best bet. If you prefer geometrical methods maybe try going over the past papers/questions you've already done and just draw the diagrams and check them against the mark scheme. Won't take long and honestly is 80% of the work but takes a minute per question.

Luckily with relative motion almost all questions are incredibly similar (interception, closest approach, 'two hikers' or crossing a river).
cogito.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will someone post the unofficial MS after exam?
Gome44
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, the only thing I struggle with in m4 is relative motion (and making stupid errors on the collision questions). Sometimes I get RM questions straight away but other times I'm just like da***
simonli2575
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
Yeah, the only thing I struggle with in m4 is relative motion (and making stupid errors on the collision questions). Sometimes I get RM questions straight away but other times I'm just like da***
Try the one in June 2012, it's the hardest I've seen yet.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find the problems that involve vectors and or very basic diagrams fine, but I've looked at a few exam questions and then the corresponding diagrams in the mark schemes and I'm just like fml.
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by simonli2575)
Oh yes ,it is.But you could solve it with algebra,though it was not obvious.I tried to solve it with geometry and it was horrible (such time consuming process)
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find the problems that involve vectors and or very basic diagrams fine, but I've looked at a few exam questions and then the corresponding diagrams in the mark schemes and I'm just like fml.
Two things :
Mark schemes in M4 are awful, because they rarely put alt.methods and are vague.
What is fml ? I only know shm,nel and suvat,but think it is kind of wtf.
simonli2575
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vesniep)
Two things :
Mark schemes in M4 are awful, because they rarely put alt.methods and are vague.
What is fml ? I only know shm,nel and suvat,but think it is kind of wtf.
F*** my life.
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Me too(M3 90,Fp2 100). How did you do in FP2, M3? M4 is not the best unit to rely on (you can aim for A* but not be sure)
If you have M2 and/or FP3 it is better to think of getting a good mark in these units,in my opinion( they are safer)
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
F*** my life.
Hmmm,nice....really nice
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which one. I did both yesterday. I like the first one because you could use I and j vectors, as the angles were nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
simonli2575
Rep:
?
Which one. I did both yesterday. I like the first one because you could use I and j vectors, as the angles were nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
The one where you are required to find the speed of B.
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The one where you are required to find the speed of B.
This one?
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed