Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qpqpqpqpqp)
    can someone explain 7ciii for june 2014 - i got y=tan75x which is wrong but i don't understand the mark scheme?
    i did cos^-1(-root3/2) = 150 = 2 theta, so theta = 75?
    further down in the ms it says condone 75

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qpqpqpqpqp)
    can someone explain 7ciii for june 2014 - i got y=tan75x which is wrong but i don't understand the mark scheme?
    i did cos^-1(-root3/2) = 150 = 2 theta, so theta = 75?
    (Original post by -jordan-)
    I've just done the same question and got the same thing
    That's because it isn't -root3/2. Your enlargement is scale factor root 12, so take out a factor of root 12 - cos2theta then equals -3/root12, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    That's because it isn't -root3/2. Your enlargement is scale factor root 12, so take out a factor of root 12 - cos2theta then equals -3/root12, etc
    I got -3/root12, try and resolve that and you get the angle of 75 degrees.

ReputationRep:
    That is strange? (I did it in radians by accident earlier!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah no, nevermind, I see the problem - you have to look at both sin and cos and find the first common angle, which is 210 degrees - is this what the markscheme has?

ReputationRep:
    I also got y=tan75x but the mark scheme only condones y=-tan75x?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Ah no, nevermind, I see the problem - you have to look at both sin and cos and find the first common angle, which is 210 degrees - is this what the markscheme has?
    Got it... but how do I find the common angle? Never seen a question like this before. Just assuming the angle is the same works for all the questions I've done has served me fine so far.

ReputationRep:
    Got it... but how do I find the common angle? Never seen a question like this before. Just assuming the angle is the same works for all the questions I've done has served me fine so far.
    You've gotten lucky a lot then!
    The same way as when you're trying to find multiple solutions to a trig equation, but with two of them. Write both down (sinx = and cosx = ) and find new solutions using 180-initial for sin and plus/minus or 360-initial for cos until you find a matching pair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    You've gotten lucky a lot then!
    The same way as when you're trying to find multiple solutions to a trig equation, but with two of them. Write both down (sinx = and cosx = ) and find new solutions using 180-initial for sin and plus/minus or 360-initial for cos until you find a matching pair
    I just did this and got 150 as a pair?? Perhaps it's the signs messing me up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    I swear I get a different answer every time I try and do this now! The method is to find the common angle, but I don't know what that is! (I really should look at the markscheme)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    Excuse my handwriting but here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hnt7u4988...09.38.png?dl=0 I think I got it figured out. I hadn't run into any problems like that before and I've managed to do most of the past papers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bartbarrow)
    Excuse my handwriting but here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hnt7u4988...09.38.png?dl=0 I think I got it figured out. I hadn't run into any problems like that before and I've managed to do most of the past papers...
    and so the penny drops! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I swear I get a different answer every time I try and do this now! The method is to find the common angle, but I don't know what that is! (I really should look at the markscheme)
    210 is the common angle.
    So y=tan(105)x

ReputationRep:
    In which order do you multiply matrices?

For example if i said find the matrix corresponding to the combined transformation of a reflection inthe line y ¼ x followed by a stretch parallel to the y-axis of scale factor 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)

For example if i said find the matrix corresponding to the combined transformation of a reflection inthe line y ¼ x followed by a stretch parallel to the y-axis of scale factor 7.
    If you are trying to find a matrix with order of transformations AB, you find the matrix BA (it's the reverse)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)

If you want to apply a transformation, say A and then you want to apply another one, say B then you multiply B by A to get the single matrix representing both.

So you would multiply the stretch by the reflection

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a dumb moment
    How do I make α^4+β^4 into the form only involving α+β αβ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I'm having a dumb moment
    How do I make α^4+β^4 into the form only involving α+β αβ
    I usually find a^2+b^2, square it and then take away the bits you don't need to get a^4 + b^4 on it's own, then it's easy substitution. Seems quicker than doing binomial expansion and then factorising it.

ReputationRep:
    I usually find a^2+b^2, square it and then take away the bits you don't need to get a^4 + b^4 on it's own, then it's easy substitution. Seems quicker than doing binomial expansion and then factorising it.
    My dumb. Moment is strong and I can't even do it
    wtf is wrong with me lmao

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait are you talking about this?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  507.5 KB

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.