Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)

About the basle agreements
    the capital adequacy ratios
    how the reserves the banks kept were inappropriate even under this ratio
    the rate the ratios were set at themselves
    the sub-prime mortgage problems
    Just because you know what colour underpants Alan Greenspan was wearing in 2008 does not confer any special wisdom upon what is so wrong with the economy.

I'm not saying those facts and figures are irrelevant (the last one is famous). But I would say that the "too big to fail" grasp of the recession is a very good one. It has good explanatory power, and in many peoples views really succeeds in getting at the heart of the problem: Healthy organisms allow failing/dying cells to die, when an organism fails to adhere to this framework it gets a disease called cancer (also quite famous).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    1. The economic mess happening in Britain was actually part of a "going pop" that had its epicentre in Washington DC. This "going pop" in America took place under goverment more fiscally conservative than the Conservatives *AND* Labour.
    That doesn't remotely change what I said. The problems I mentioned were also put to various governments, they just ignored them. This "going pop" business being due to the US alone is false. Governments were warned but they chose to ignore them and continue risky policies. The system was only going to be stable under ideal conditions-and the conditions went wrong as you would expect. I could write an essay on the topc but to say it was not also the fault of government is laughable.
    2. Gordon Brown *AND* Alastair Darling *BOTH* opposed the reintroduction of the Glass-Steagall act. *NEITHER* of them spoke much about how the housing ladder was starting to resemble a Ponzi scheme.

3. Mass immigration is a difficult problem. It is caused by all of us. Do you eat steak? Then you are causing immigration by fuelling global warming and deforestation.
    Ok...in the real world you try putting that arguement to someone. Dear lord because i may or may not eat steak therefore means I cannot be critical of EU policy that floods the nation with migrants... yeah right.
    4. You are quite right to identify that Labour isn't really labour anymore. In the 80s we had a "baby boom" generation born into good times, hating anything communist and wanting to do the exact opposite, who went on a binge, basically. Tony Blair came along and fuelled the flames with his "optimistic" brand of politics. The regulations were taken off the banks to allow reckless lending to fuel optimism and growth. Everyone was so incredibly (ridiculously, even) happy. But it was very much "strong today, gone tomorrow". Furious growth, frivolity and excessive fullness of joy and life (see Roaring twenties) inevitably leads to a miserable crash.

5. As such, Labour is trying to redefine itself. Labour has been usurped from within by semiTory Blairites, and now it just looks weak. This is the explanation for the rise of Jeremy Corbyn. There are so few actual Labour politicians left, and Jeremy Corbyn was always the outspoken voice of discontent. It fits. Something similar has happened in America. What speaks louder than anything is the age of Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders. They are old. They are certainly not new. It is just that they are needed. The Reagan/Thatcher/Blair/Clinton 25 year binge has gone pop, and a new alternative is needed.

6. In both Britain and America the voters have kneejerked over the fence and elected the opposition. From right to left in America, and left to right in the UK. But people are realising that both these alternatives, in both America and UK, are largely bought out by corporate interest groups, who never really paid for their crimes up to and during credit crisis. This is why the union-backed candidates are coming back. The ruthless rule of capital over labour is probably going to see the balance shift. Older people who fuelled the 1980-2005 bubble are going to die, and younger voters who were punished by their recklessness are going to come into the cohort: In the last election, if over 65s were banned from voting, and all age demographics turned out in equal measure, Labour would have won by a landslide (6%). The tories are not popular with the workforce of this country, especially the young.
    To be fair, I stopped reading at the steak point. It is just plain ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Just because you know what colour underpants Alan Greenspan was wearing in 2008 does not confer any special wisdom upon what is so wrong with the economy.
    What on earth does this mean in English?
    I'm not saying those facts and figures are irrelevant (the last one is famous). But I would say that the "too big to fail" grasp of the recession is a very good one. It has good explanatory power, and in many peoples views really succeeds in getting at the heart of the problem: Healthy organisms allow failing/dying cells to die, when an organism fails to adhere to this framework it gets a disease called cancer (also quite famous).
    I stopped reading at this point. I can't be bothered to carry on reading past all this talk of underpants and steak meaning I cannot want a change in the law regarding immigration.

ReputationRep:
    I don't need to learn anything thanks. My learning about the economy and finance has got me a job. I got my education from accounting bodies/universities.

You on the other hand try and insult me by saying I have to go and learn when you have done no "learning" of any kind.

So, hypocritical scrounger, YOU go and learn something and come back to me.
    So you stick with ignorance because someone hired you? I am astounded. I guess that is why all those stupid Germans in WW2 thought they where superior to everyone else. Because you got hired for a job?

Wait your an accountant and you don't know what a Collateral Debt Obligation is? Your ignorance is astounding.

But then again most universities are full of Keynesian's. Carry on I need the midnight giggles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I think "reason" is the last criterion the public used when they blamed Labour for spending too much and/or causing the global financial crisis.

The fact that you've totally ignored my questions about why we are not like Greece in preference for a "well obviously the public knows best" is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.
    i wouldn't bother with this one. He thinks a job determines his IQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    So you stick with ignorance because someone hired you? I am astounded. I guess that is why all those stupid Germans in WW2 thought they where superior to everyone else. Because you got hired for a job?

Wait your an accountant and you don't know what a Collateral Debt Obligation is? Your ignorance is astounding.

But then again most universities are full of Keynesian's. Carry on I need the midnight giggles.
    You don't need the midnight giggles you need a job

Honestly, you think I am going to waste my time trying to debate with a scrounger? You just go on weird, weird rants. I explained that before. Why on earth would I bother talking to you?

Just because I can't be bothered to read through page after page of crap from some people doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. Just like that guy who started talking about steak and immigration I really can't be bothered to read a post, re-read, read again, read again to try and make sense of it and then finally come to the conclusion you are a nutter.

So far we had two debates; 1) you being a hypocrite and you just started ranting about globalisation or some irrelevant crap.

2) About the government responsibility during the financial crash. And yet in your post you are still talking absolute crap about Keynesian theory.

When you just rant about things that are not even relevant I really don't have time for it. I mean you have all the time in the world, but I don't.

Enjoy your midnight giggles.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need the midnight giggles you need a job

Honestly, you think I am going to waste my time trying to debate with a scrounger? You just go on weird, weird rants. I explained that before. Why on earth would I bother talking to you?

Just because I can't be bothered to read through page after page of crap from some people doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. Just like that guy who started talking about steak and immigration I really can't be bothered to read a post, re-read, read again, read again to try and make sense of it and then finally come to the conclusion you are a nutter.

So far we had two debates; 1) you being a hypocrite and you just started ranting about globalisation or some irrelevant crap.

2) About the government responsibility during the financial crash. And yet in your post you are still talking absolute crap about Keynesian theory.

When you just rant about things that are not even relevant I really don't have time for it. I mean you have all the time in the world, but I don't.

Enjoy your midnight giggles.
    So since packing in my Job as a trader of FOREX and Blue Chip stocks and becoming a student I am now within the ranks of the scroungers? I do love the Tory evaluation on society. Well I am happy to be a scrounger because us scroungers treat each other with the kind of compassion which cannot be brought and sold.

So getting my student loan soon loaned to me by the Government. I'll be doing all the left-wing scrounger things like going on student protests etc.

Oh and just to clarify a few things I am studying with the Open University for a year. This is because I clearly just want to stay home and watch Jeremy Kyle on the TV and sip Carlsberg special brew. I might even try and get on the show "Lazy ex Banker / new Student who sits in house all day and does nothing".

You'd love it.

........... Anyway work harder us Scroungers depend on you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    It is in a parliamentary democracy you chod.

The largest group of people voted for them, thy therefore hot the majority of the votes.
    I really don't get how people can doubt the Tories got a majority. A majority in politics is when MP's of a certain party are over 50%.

This is relevant as rather than the number of votes or some other measure it allows for a government to pass legislation at will.

For example, if the Tories only have 40% of MP's they will have to negotiate with other parties. With above 50% they can go on as they please. Percentage of votes counts for **** all. Just ask UKIP.

Bottom line; just because you like the idea that a government is only legitimate if it wins over 50% of votes for some peculiar reason doesn't change the law of the UK. It is the parliamentary majority which matters. Feel free to adopt any Tory-bashing figure you like but they got the only stat that matters.

It just shows how strange TSR is that people can doubt the Tories got a majority. Like I said above, if Labour got in this way people on here wouldn't be questioning it.

Heck, if Labour got in only by going into a coalition with the SNP people wouldn't question it.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't bother with this one. He thinks a job determines his IQ.
    I don't bother with scotgrot because he doesn't even understand why the debt went up under the Tories. Nothing personal against them but they evidently are just being plan silly. I even gave a nice analogy earlier in the thread to make it simple for people and they still don't get it.

I don't bother with you because you spend your time on this forum posting nonsense about how poor people are going to end up in workhouses, how disabled people will be hunted, and other simply stupid points.

On TSR you can say these things and hide behind a keyboard and convince yourself you are right. The reality is that in the real world people would flat out laugh at you. If you think I am wrong, try talking to people and see their reaction. Half the time you are just hysterically screeching how disabled people are going to get murdered like under the Nazis, the other half of the time I'm not even sure what you are ranting about.

ReputationRep:
    Examples of your hysterical screeching off the top of my head;

Thread title;
    If the Tories get a vote landslide in the general election 2015.

I personally feel that the Conservatives are going to win the general election with a huge landslide.

I reckon they will do these 10 things.

6. Bring back the work houses for vulnerable benefit claimants.

What does TSR think?
    Plain stupid.

Thread;
    Killing the elderly and disabled is a real vote winner!

The title alone is ridiculous.

Other threads where you talk of "Auschwitz" and other places for the disabled. Ridiculous.

A person who talks such utter nonsense as that really isn't worth debating with.

ReputationRep:
    So since packing in my Job as a trader of FOREX and Blue Chip stocks and becoming a student I am now within the ranks of the scroungers? I do love the Tory evaluation on society. Well I am happy to be a scrounger because us scroungers treat each other with the kind of compassion which cannot be brought and sold.

Calling for snipers for people worse off than you? Compassionate my ass Fair enough if that is your view but don't then complain about benefit cuts for yourself.

So getting my student loan soon loaned to me by the Government. I'll be doing all the left-wing scrounger things like going on student protests etc.

Oh and just to clarify a few things I am studying with the Open University for a year. This is because I clearly just want to stay home and watch Jeremy Kyle on the TV and sip Carlsberg special brew. I might even try and get on the show "Lazy ex Banker / new Student who sits in house all day and does nothing".

You'd love it.

........... Anyway work harder us Scroungers depend on you!
    If you were such a successful banker why you on TSR going mental about benefit cuts? Surely you should have good money saved up? (It isn't a question. I really don't care. You will just rant about something irrelevant and then claim that the Tories have tried to put you in a workhouse or gas chamber).

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother with scotgrot because he doesn't even understand why the debt went up under the Tories. Nothing personal against them but they evidently are just being plan silly. I even gave a nice analogy earlier in the thread to make it simple for people and they still don't get it.

I don't bother with you because you spend your time on this forum posting nonsense about how poor people are going to end up in workhouses, how disabled people will be hunted, and other simply stupid points.

On TSR you can say these things and hide behind a keyboard and convince yourself you are right. The reality is that in the real world people would flat out laugh at you. If you think I am wrong, try talking to people and see their reaction. Half the time you are just hysterically screeching how disabled people are going to get murdered like under the Nazis, the other half of the time I'm not even sure what you are ranting about.
    To be honest when I compare the Nazi's to the Tories I think the Nazi's may have been slightly superior in their morality vs the disabled. I mean the Tories starve disabled to death. The Nazi's weren't that harsh.

Now as for Stalin that bloke was a monster.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest when I compare the Nazi's to the Tories I think the Nazi's may have been slightly superior in their morality vs the disabled. I mean the Tories starve disabled to death. The Nazi's weren't that harsh.
    Quoted this so you can't edit it. Any additions will show now. Just to show why I am justified in not even trying to have a sensible conversation with you.

You claim to be intelligent and continually, not as a one off, continually, come out with this crap.

Good lord.

ReputationRep:
    Quoted this so you can't edit it. Any additions will show now. Just to show why I am justified in not even trying to have a sensible conversation with you.

You claim to be intelligent and continually, not as a one off, continually, come out with this crap.

Good lord.
    Not saying either the Nazis or the Tories are moral. Just saying the Tories are more vile than the Nazis are.

Now be a good little Tory crybaby and report me to the admins.

ReputationRep:
    Not saying either the Nazis or the Tories are moral. Just saying the Tories are more vile than the Nazis are.

Now be a good little Tory crybaby and report me to the admins.
    I'm not reporting you for anything...weirdo.

Now be a good little scrounger crybaby and moan how the Tories are worse than the Nazis. Good grief. The Tories cut your benefits and your tantrum is so severe you start calling them worse than Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    Examples of your hysterical screeching off the top of my head;

Thread title;
    If the Tories get a vote landslide in the general election 2015.

Plain stupid.

Thread;
    Killing the elderly and disabled is a real vote winner!

The title alone is ridiculous.

Other threads where you talk of "Auschwitz" and other places for the disabled. Ridiculous.

A person who talks such utter nonsense as that really isn't worth debating with.
    But you don't actually have an argument for why he's wrong, do you? Exaggerated for effect, certainly, but aside from that what he described is actually what is happening.

Just like you didn't have an argument to support why we are so much like Greece. All you can do, like all Tories, is call it nonsense and expect everyone to agree with you. Ypu have not presented a shred of evidence or argument to suggest that you understand the first thing about basic accounting, economics or the public finances beyond the rubbish put about by the popular media.

You said I don’t understand why the debt has gone up under the Tories - enlighten me, why did it go up then? Let me guess, something to do with "clearing up Labour's mess"?

ReputationRep:
    But you don't actually have an argument for why he's wrong, do you? Exaggerated for effect, certainly, but aside from that what he described is actually what is happening.

Just like you didn't have an argument to support why we are so much like Greece. All you can do, like all Tories, is call it nonsense and expect everyone to agree with you. Ypu have not presented a shred of evidence or argument to suggest that you understand the first thing about basic accounting, economics or the public finances beyond the rubbish put about by the popular media.

You said I don’t understand why the debt has gone up under the Tories - enlighten me, why did it go up then? Let me guess, something to do with "clearing up Labour's mess"?
    I think this guy is just a 2nd year apprentice who has began earning a few pounds above min wage but to him hes on top of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped reading at this point. I can't be bothered to carry on reading past all this talk of underpants and steak meaning I cannot want a change in the law regarding immigration.
    You seem to have a big problem with stopping reading when anyone asks you to consider a different viewpoint. It's very convenient for you, as it means you don't have to argue against or take on board their points.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I stopped reading at the steak point. It is just plain ridiculous.
    1. I AM blaming the government. And that means Thatcher, Reagan, Blair, Brown, Clinton. The recession was not the work of five years but twenty-five. You're a fool if you think a conservative government would have prevented crisis. Honestly the role of the UK in the financial globe is... medium. There are bigger factors and by far the biggest in the 2008 meltdown was America.

3. I do frequently. Throwing up your hands in dismay and saying "ridiculous" is not an argument. The increasing intake of meat (especially steak/beef, in comparison to a greener alternative such as chicken) by China and India is a growing problem. Compared to the deforestation caused by clearing land for livestock, the financial crisis doesn't even matter.

It's your decision. You can believe the true argumentation, or the false. Greenpeace, or the meat industry. You either care about the environment, or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have a big problem with stopping reading when anyone asks you to consider a different viewpoint. It's very convenient for you, as it means you don't have to argue against or take on board their points.
    Nothing convenient about it. These people have just proven they are utter morons.

On this thread alone;

1) People doubt the Tories getting a majority.
    2) Someone didn't understand why the national debt had increased under the Tories.
    3) Someone believed the Nazis were kinder to the disabled than the Nazis. They also go off on weird rants.
    4) Someone said that if you eat beef you can't be against immigration. For some reason a country cannot have laws that restrict people who wish to enter if it has people who eat steak.

It isn't "convenient" at all. Just a massive waste of my time even bothering trying to listen to such people. Like I said, I can't be bothered to read their posts (illegaltobepoor in particular) when they make irrelevant and/or plain stupid points. The above four in this thread alone. The left on this forum are really not worth even really replying to sadly.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.