Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    I have almost 200 hours and counting for volunteering. However, I much prefer Leicester and the R and R form for Keele seems more subjective that a definite 41/48 score, but if I don't have a shot its probably not worth it. I'll have a think..
    Leicester would be a gamble as we dont know what will happen with cut offs but if you like leicester more then apply you most certainly do have a shot

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I absolutely want to get into Leicester med uni - I have been visiting Leicester since the age of 3 and I absolutely love the vibes of the city! It is my ideal and number one uni to go to!!
    My total GCSE score = 20 and my UKCAT is scheduled for the 4th of October - I'm not very good at it and I just pray that I can get a score of 20 points from the UKCAT bringing my total upto 40/48 ( best case scenario) - now my question is I feel like even if my total score comes out to be 38/48 I will still risk it and apply - am I being stupid applying to Leicester?? Be honest please!
    When do the cut out scores come out?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtom32)
    Hi everyone - I absolutely want to get into Leicester med uni - I have been visiting Leicester since the age of 3 and I absolutely love the vibes of the city! It is my ideal and number one uni to go to!!
    My total GCSE score = 20 and my UKCAT is scheduled for the 4th of October - I'm not very good at it and I just pray that I can get a score of 20 points from the UKCAT bringing my total upto 40/48 ( best case scenario) - now my question is I feel like even if my total score comes out to be 38/48 I will still risk it and apply - am I being stupid applying to Leicester?? Be honest please!

Thanks
    Hard to say if you're safe to apply without having a score! The cut off scores come out 7th October I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Certainly possible. As it's been said, we don't know how cut-offs will change. They depend upon many factors; so an estimate is really unqualified. If you want to apply to Leicester, then I think you should. 38/40 is much the same as other people's on here.

Best of luck!

G

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say if you're safe to apply without having a score! The cut off scores come out 7th October I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thank you!! I might as well just wait till the cut off scores come out then - but the problem is my college have an internal deadline of handing in medic ucas applications by the 5th - as they process the applications and send it off to ucas.
    If I call up leicester uni do you think they could give me a rough estimate of the cut off?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    Certainly possible. As it's been said, we don't know how cut-offs will change. They depend upon many factors; so an estimate is really unqualified. If you want to apply to Leicester, then I think you should. 38/40 is much the same as other people's on here.

Best of luck!

G
    Thanks a lot - really appreciate it!!

ReputationRep:
    I just about made 41/48 hopefully it's enough

ReputationRep:
    I've read the thread before anyone says and I'm still trying to decide whether or not Leicester is worth an application for me (I'm trying to decide my 4th option between Leicester and Keele). My ukcat has let me down, as do my A's in 2 of the core subjects at GCSE which must be scored- the rest are A*. With 41.2, how risky do people think this is? May have to go for Keele if I don't have a shot here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they're equally uncertain then you need to go with your heart and where you prefer to spend the next 5 years.

My Leicester calculation based on last year is 40.5, so it would need to be 41.5 for you to miss out. That's an extra 100 on total ukcat or an extra point on academics. IMO, which may be wrong, that gives you at least a 60% chance. If you think that Keele is 80% then that may be a better option. That's my best guesses for what they're worth. There's no right answer though.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you!! I might as well just wait till the cut off scores come out then - but the problem is my college have an internal deadline of handing in medic ucas applications by the 5th - as they process the applications and send it off to ucas.
    If I call up leicester uni do you think they could give me a rough estimate of the cut off?
    Thanks
    You need to know your UKCAT score to be able to make a good application, maybe compare it to the interim deciles, although they will most likely change. I don't think they will be able to give a cut off as they dont know the scores of who are applying yet and their cut off is on their own points system based on GCSEs and UKCAT rather than an actual UKCAT cut off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meddad)
    If they're equally uncertain then you need to go with your heart and where you prefer to spend the next 5 years.

My Leicester calculation based on last year is 40.5, so it would need to be 41.5 for you to miss out. That's an extra 100 on total ukcat or an extra point on academics. IMO, which may be wrong, that gives you at least a 60% chance. If you think that Keele is 80% then that may be a better option. That's my best guesses for what they're worth. There's no right answer though.
    Thank you, this is really useful! If you have time over the next few days, please would you be able to read the thread I have made as that might give you a better picture and you seem to know your stuff! It's so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    would 39.5/48 be worth an application. Really dont want to waste a choice as i'd imagine many applicants would get a full score for GCSE and very high UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    You need to know your UKCAT score to be able to make a good application, maybe compare it to the interim deciles, although they will most likely change. I don't think they will be able to give a cut off as they dont know the scores of who are applying yet and their cut off is on their own points system based on GCSEs and UKCAT rather than an actual UKCAT cut off
    That's correct. X number of people apply. Their academics and ukcat scores are turned into a score after the ucas application deadline has past. The Med school have decided they want to interview x hundred number of applicants. They offer interviews to that number of people and the cut off score is the lowest score invited to interview. It is not pre-determined and isn't known until after the process completes. That's why people on here quote last year's figure as a guide. It's the best you have to go on but may change.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So as a few other people have mentioned, Leicester has always been my number one city and would be my number one choice for Medicine. However after an extremely low and disheartening score on the UKCAT I fear this would bring down my total score, despite my GCSE academics being fairly high.

I understand that the UKCAT points are calculated by dividing by 100, but would somebody please be able to explain to me how the GCSEs are accounted for? Are the top 8 just credited with certain points, or must core subjects have a play somewhere?

Anyone's help is really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I've got 43.4/48 and with my luck I'm sure the cut off's this year is gonna be 43.5/48 for interviews. Considering people did better on their UKCAT this year compared to last year.

I liked Leicester a lot though. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sububzi)
    I've got 43.4/48 and with my luck I'm sure the cut off's this year is gonna be 43.5/48 for interviews. Considering people did better on their UKCAT this year compared to last year.

Id suggest making it easier for the rest of us and apply elsewhere jk apply where u like ur stats are fiiiiine better than vast majority anyway. Cut offs wont change massively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I <3 WORK)
    Hey guys,

So as a few other people have mentioned, Leicester has always been my number one city and would be my number one choice for Medicine. However after an extremely low and disheartening score on the UKCAT I fear this would bring down my total score, despite my GCSE academics being fairly high.

I understand that the UKCAT points are calculated by dividing by 100, but would somebody please be able to explain to me how the GCSEs are accounted for? Are the top 8 just credited with certain points, or must core subjects have a play somewhere?

Anyone's help is really appreciated!
    Hey,

The UKCAT is marked /24 and GCSEs are marked /24, in a 50:50 ratio.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/med...-document-2017

Have a look at this ^^ document, it'll tell you exactly how Leicester score them and you can calculate your score from there.

Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this is really useful! If you have time over the next few days, please would you be able to read the thread I have made as that might give you a better picture and you seem to know your stuff! It's so difficult!
    Not sure if I know my stuff but I know what my daughter went through two years ago Having checked Keele then on paper you look like a strong candidate. That is providing you can present your learning points from your volunteering in a way that satisfys the assessors that you meet their criteria to a high standard. That assessment is subjective and also depends on the quality of the other candidates, so it's uncertain - just in a different way from Leicester. You should have enough material to smash it but I also saw people last year getting interviews at Sheffield which was very PS heavy until last year, but missing out on interview at Nottingham because they only scored 4/15 on their PS. If in your mind the level of uncertainty is fsirly even then go with your heart. If you think your PS (R&R) is going to stand up well against others then maybe go for Keele. Nobody on here can tell you the right answer to that because we've only seen your list of volunteering and achivements. The list scores nothing at all - what scores points is what you gained from that and how you link it to attributes required for a medical career.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Happy for you to PM me if you have questions about what I've said but I don't want to take over this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sububzi)

To be honest I don't think the cut-off scores will be that high, but who knows as they all decide the cut-off scores depending on the quality and quantity of applicants. I can see why you may think because the UKCAT scores look higher this year that the cut off may rise a lot too, but let's just think about this quantitatively: The interim results (which includes less than half of the applicants) showed that the average went up by 29 points compared to the last cycle. Now assuming this doesn't change, this won't have as big as an impact as you may think for leicester as UKCAT scoring goes up in 50's. Of course I'm oversimplifying it a lot, but just some assurance for those who may be applying with scores on the lower side.

ReputationRep:
    40.5??? Is it good enough??

21/24 1980 ukcat

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT: 713
    GCSE: 6A*s 2As.

Is my score 23.5? And if so would that likely be enough for an interview?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2017

University open days

• University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.