Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j0ydivision)
    How is everybody revising for this exam?
    I'm not haha. Might look at my stuff the night before, but otherwise I don't intend to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fundamental thing that I am majorly confused about for this exam is being able to recognise literary periods and their genre. I often misunderstand the literary period and therefore cannot explore the conventions. Does anyone have a list of the periods/genres and their conventions, it would help me so much!!! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    timing is the biggest problem for me...all i need is a C to get an A overall...but trying to gun for an A* but can only do two aspects in 1hr 15mins any tips Gingerbread101
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    timing is the biggest problem for me...all i need is a C to get an A overall...but trying to gun for an A* but can only do two aspects in 1hr 15mins any tips Gingerbread101
    I struggled with timing a bit, but I've done several past papers and one thing that helped me is knowing where I was going with my essay. Writing a plan (even just a small one) just before proceeding with the actual essay helps me to allocate my time more wisely.
    If you find yourself with an idea as you're writing and you don't want to lose it write it in the margins - I don't know if that will help you but I've lost time on papers trying to remember ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    I struggled with timing a bit, but I've done several past papers and one thing that helped me is knowing where I was going with my essay. Writing a plan (even just a small one) just before proceeding with the actual essay helps me to allocate my time more wisely.
    If you find yourself with an idea as you're writing and you don't want to lose it write it in the margins - I don't know if that will help you but I've lost time on papers trying to remember ideas.
    Prior tothis week i usually spend 15mins planning and use the hour to write but I feel I could benefit from a little more time but I keep writing too slowly? yesterday i gave myself 30mins and got halfway through two aspects and completed one completley so i think giving myself 30 mins is too much time...do you reckon i should just focus on trying to plan well in 15mins?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Prior tothis week i usually spend 15mins planning and use the hour to write but I feel I could benefit from a little more time but I keep writing too slowly? yesterday i gave myself 30mins and got halfway through two aspects and completed one completley so i think giving myself 30 mins is too much time...do you reckon i should just focus on trying to plan well in 15mins?
    Not too much planning, I think that can be overkill. Tbh, I don't even spend much time planning, personally - just paragraph ideas/headings.

When you say planning, is that factoring in the time taken to read and analyse extracts?

Do you think you're aiming to write too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Not too much planning, I think that can be overkill. Tbh, I don't even spend much time planning, personally - just paragraph ideas/headings.

When you say planning, is that factoring in the time taken to read and analyse extracts?

Do you think you're aiming to write too much?
    planning for me includes - reading/analzing each extract and finding 3 aspects and 3 wider reading links

I don't think I am as in both my mocks I was able to cover three aspects so I know I can do it,but in class i can only manage two...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    planning for me includes - reading/analzing each extract and finding 3 aspects and 3 wider reading links

I don't think I am as in both my mocks I was able to cover three aspects so I know I can do it,but in class i can only manage two...
    Hmm in that case, I'm really not sure what the issue is... I spend around 15 minutes planning, personally.
    Maybe you're different in a pressurised environment, like how you could do more in the mock, versus less in class.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    I generally try to be as rigorous as I can with the times. I spend 30 mins reading, planning etc, then up to 3 mins on introduction, 10 mins on first paragraph, 10 mins on second, 10 mins on third, 5 mins on conclusion, and then a few mins spare. If I run over the time I gave myself for a paragraph, I finish that sentence and just move on

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what we can do for the complete lack of past papers on the AQA website? Quite a few extracts aren't on for the questions they do have, and I'd really really like to see what came up before Jan 2013.......

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, I need an E to get an A but my offer is an A*. I hate how you need to get 2 90s for an A* at A2, it would be a lot nicer if it was an overall average of 90%

Don't they recommend you spend 30 minutes planning for each question, or is that overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmon33)
    The fundamental thing that I am majorly confused about for this exam is being able to recognise literary periods and their genre. I often misunderstand the literary period and therefore cannot explore the conventions. Does anyone have a list of the periods/genres and their conventions, it would help me so much!!! Thank you!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_literature
    Read it through once and then go back and note down any significant things.
    Just read through taking notes of any significant things. So metaphysical Cavalier Jacobean Elizabethan Enlightenment Romantics Victorian Modern Post Modern.

Bullet point say, 5 things for each?

You now know more than you need to for ao4. Keep adding to your lists while doing past papers, if the examiner reports say anything on context etc.

Don't worry about anything before 1500, look a bit at Chaucer though.

Try and bring in context via AO2 analysis. Eg, the female character is the object of the sentence, taking the passive role in her love, as seen in the stage direction where she is carried and taken away by her husband, indicative of how the female was considered property of the male in the Jacobean era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j0ydivision)
    How is everybody revising for this exam?
    I'm just doing flashcards for each text that I've done for wider reading, and I'll do a flashcard for each literary time period as well. I'm thinking of writing a couple of questions for myself as we've already looked at all the past papers in class. Other than that, I'm not doing nearly as much for English Lit as I am for my other two subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmon33)
    As well as the wiki page someone already mentioned earlier on, I've found this website really useful.

http://www.online-literature.com/periods/

There is a lot to sift through but if you summarize each page into some key points, it may be helpful. I'd also recommend looking at the wiki pages of wider reading books you have read, so you can comment on these at the same time as your wider reading quotes.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering if anyone knows what percentage overall or in each module is needed to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belmar)
    Hey, just wondering if anyone knows what percentage overall or in each module is needed to get an A*?
    So as long as you got an A last year, and got an A* in your coursework this year, then you'll need to get 90% UMS in this exam (108/120). Every paper so far, this could be reached by getting a raw of 69, so 34 in one question, 35 in the other, or like 38 and 31... Not too bad really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnkitKapoor)
    So as long as you got an A last year, and got an A* in your coursework this year, then you'll need to get 90% UMS in this exam (108/120). Every paper so far, this could be reached by getting a raw of 69, so 34 in one question, 35 in the other, or like 38 and 31... Not too bad really!
    Is it necessary for coursework to be at A*, in order to get an A* overall in the A-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pokémontrainer)
    Is it necessary for coursework to be at A*, in order to get an A* overall in the A-level?
    I think so, to an extent. Last year's grade boundaries were 63 out of 70 for coursework, 67/80 for exam. So if you got 62, your mark in the exam would have to be higher than 67. This could only continue until the required mark in the exam is 80. In other words, you get full marks. Considering that an A in coursework is 57, it's very unlikely that if you got a low A in coursework, that it'd be possible to get an A* overall. If you're talking 62/61 it's more possible, but you have to do way better in the exam. If you were able to do way better in the exam, it's unlikely that you'd have done bad on your coursework. So yeah, it's a catch-22 (English banter ) of sorts.

TL;DR - In theory, perhaps (if it's only one or two marks below), in reality probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pokémontrainer)
    Yes I think it's absolutely necessary. It's annoying, but people need A*s in all a2 modules to A*. Even if you got 100% in the other module, and the 2 from AS ( though you only need 80% for these for A*), if you got 89% in the exam you'll still end up with an A, despite averaging at 97% over your whole a level. It's pretty annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    I think so, to an extent. Last year's grade boundaries were 63 out of 70 for coursework, 67/80 for exam. So if you got 62, your mark in the exam would have to be higher than 67. This could only continue until the required mark in the exam is 80. In other words, you get full marks. Considering that an A in coursework is 57, it's very unlikely that if you got a low A in coursework, that it'd be possible to get an A* overall. If you're talking 62/61 it's more possible, but you have to do way better in the exam. If you were able to do way better in the exam, it's unlikely that you'd have done bad on your coursework. So yeah, it's a catch-22 (English banter ) of sorts.

TL;DR - In theory, perhaps (if it's only one or two marks below), in reality probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by AnkitKapoor)
    Yes I think it's absolutely necessary. It's annoying, but people need A*s in all a2 modules to A*. Even if you got 100% in the other module, and the 2 from AS ( though you only need 80% for these for A*), if you got 89% in the exam you'll still end up with an A, despite averaging at 97% over your whole a level. It's pretty annoying.
    Ahhhhhh. Do you know what, I think I'll just try not to overthink it and instead focus on getting the best grade I possibly can for my exam. Coursework has been a personal weakness of mine for so long - I always do better in examinations. Thanks guys, and good luck yourselves!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.