Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think a Corbyn Britain would be like? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    Within ten years Scotland would be independent, Northern Ireland forcefully reunited with the Republic and Wales would be doing it's utmost to pave the way for its own independence.

A non-nuclear rump England with nationalist movements in Cornwall and Yorkshire would be laughed off of the world stage, with Germany or even India or Brazil taking our 'permanent' Security Council Seat at the UN. Incursions into our airspace by American and Russian planes would be constant as PM Corbyn would take us down a path of neutrality and our island would be used as a stage for each country to show off its newest war-planes. The UN, pressured by Latin America would encourage the 'return' of the Falkland Islands to Argentina. Known terrorist leaders would visit the mosques of London, parading about at the tax payers expense like a visit from the pope, heading a joint session of the Houses of Parliament to lecture us on the evils of our nation while securing billions in foreign aid to train jihadi soldiers.

Mass unskilled immigration into the country would ensue with communities being punished if they refused to settle and house non-English speaking 'refugees'. The so called National Education Service would go from crisis to crisis as bureaucrats try to decide which lessons the country can no longer afford to teach, losing subjects like Chemistry and Physics while maintaining Religious Education, Women's studies and Arabic lessons. School class sizes of 40 students would be the norm. Every student in England would have a free university place secured for them as thousands of elite foreign students from China and India shun our once brilliant universities. Graduates from British Universities would find themselves unemployable overseas.

The economy would falter as the UK crumbled, with unemployment reaching 22%. Millionaires would flee as they are forced to pay preposterously high taxes and take their investment with them. The offices of London skyscrapers would be refit into plush new apartments for immigrants as the native population live in crumbling housing estates. The royal family would be scrapped and tourism would shrink. British traditions and culture would be restricted as not to offend new citizens. London would be unrecognisable as the nominally independent city-state would frequently erupt into ethnic riots and have to be closed off from the rest of the Republic of South Britain. Amnesty international would decry the blockade of Tower Hamlets. ISIS agents would destroy Stonehenge, and countless cathedrals across the country, transforming St Paul's Cathedral into a mosque much like in Istanbul.

The polluting railways would be decommissioned, fracking forgotten and petrol supplies rationed. Women only, Muslim only and Transgender only coaches would be run by the National Transport Service, protecting the vulnerable groups from harassment by white men.

I could very easily go on, but in short, the UK would become a fractured collection of ethnically diverse regions devoid of unified culture, mass unemployment and no military would make us the laughing stock of the world and we would have to rely on economic aid from Poland to ensure the safety of their citizens living here.
    Exaggerating his positions, touting his suggestions as fixed policies, and even some good old reactionary fear mongering sprinkled in there . . .

You remind of that Daily Fail article about the Corbynocalypse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soldaten)
    Союз нерушимый республик свободных
    Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
    Да здравствует созданный волей народов
    Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

I'm ready comrades.
    I really hope that's purely in jest, because if it isn't then it's a display of stunning political illiteracy.
    All Corbyn is suggesting is reversing two of the privatisations done by the Conservative party, which actually makes him miles to the RIGHT of Edward Heath. But of course fear mongers such as yourself don't care about pesky nuance or accuracy, do you?

And as for the authoritarianism and surveillance of Stalin's personality cult, how ridiculously hypocritical to portray Corbyn as such, in comparison to the current government which was watching us all in secret, and started a secret court system, both of which Corbyn would end.

All that aside, it's a good song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Well the second bit of that sentence.
    Once you introduce a profit motive they start looking to cut corners. The focus becomes on making money, not providing a service and funds are taken out for profit rather then reinvested.
    I don't think private healthcare providers do too badly in providing a good service whilst being run by profiteers. The government can dictate the terms of any privatisation that takes place to ensure standards are high. As I said, the emphasis should be on good service that is free at the point of use, and it doesn't particularly matter how that is reached.

ReputationRep:
    You're conflating what I'm saying
    The big issue is the fact that private indivudals through monetary donations can and do influence policies. Sometimes very blatantly such as Blair + Ecclestone - sometimes more subtle but it happens all the time. Most of it isn't illegal and that itself is the problem. That individuals are allowed to give huge sums to politicans who then in return give them nice legislation.

If a random person wanted me to do something and paid me a lot of money to and then I did it- (sorry for vagueness - sounds a bit like a prostitute) then it would strongly indicate a causal link.
    Not if you were going to do it anyway. Just like Cameron's NHS 'privatisation' policy which you thought he hadn't come up with pre-2010 and I subsequently proved he did.

When you see powerful lobbies like the pro-israel lobby get favourable legislation and treatment and then see the huge donations they make - it strikes alarm bells.

When Jonny Nash donates hugely to the tories and then recieves a contract - it influences policy. Read up on the oil companies after the Iraq War. The oil companies lobbied hard to go to war and then they got awarded all the lucrative contracts when we did.
    What, the oil companies got oil contracts?! Woah, that must be a conspiracy. If they hadn't lobbied hard, I'm sure the oil contracts would surely have gone to WH Smith Ltd...

Paying money to politicians to influence them directly or indirectly to give you nice legislation and do you favours is wrong.

Financial lobbying as an entity should be banned completely in my view and yes this includes unions.
    How do you differentiate between financial lobbying and donations? Just interested.

I've not said it happens all the time - but rather much of our policy is influenced by those with money who lobby politicians and parties with big financial donations.
    Do you think when Cameron awarded PFI contracts, the fact that Jonny Nash had paid him a shedload of money didn't play on his mind? Is it just a massive coincidence?
    Could it be a coincidence that the DoH awards a contract to the largest care firm in the country when the owner of that firm gives money to the party in control of that department? Yes, it could well be. You might also like to consider they have been awarding contracts since 2010 to the same firm, despite Nash having left it in that year.

You'd be mad or naive to think that there is no link between donating massive sums and receiving favours - when this has happened many times at the past including our very own Prime Minister.

Someone donating hugely to a politician is a more likely cause of that politician doing them favors then someone sneezing and a dog dying. It's a stupid analogy - come off it.
    I haven't said there is no link! All I have said is that in the grand scheme of things, these events occur very rarely. As a proportion of what goes through parliament and all the donations the stories get, events where donating private individuals have created policy are extremely rare - possibly even rarer than instances of dogs catching diseases from their owners.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a mess. Harking back to the politics of the 1970s, the 'Three-Day Week' and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I think a corbyn run uk would allow me to get mor pussay

ReputationRep:
    I fear for you all now he's Labour Leader.

He's dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and the PFI fits.
    Bits have been privatised - taken into private control. They own public assets in the way of facilities, contracts and services.

I can't be bothered arguing this point anymore with you - your stubbornness is astounding.
    No bits have transferred ownership or control. The government both owns the service and controls it. They simply outsource by releasing a contract (that they have total control over) and a set price.

I have given you definitions of what the word means and yet you have the temerity to call me stubborn. I'm almost lost for words.

Could you tell me what outsourcing is, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Being a student is usually 3 years of a person's life. And not every person for that matter either. For some it's longer than 3, or shorter. Electing a politician based on a few years of your life, assuming they served for 3 years that you are a student, is silly. Vote for the person and party who you believe in rather than who will give you a better three years.
    My 5 year course has given me over £20k student debt to pay off. Under the scrapped maintenance grants this could go up to £45k for a 3 year course. Yes it is only 3 years of study but the financial implications last for a lot longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connieiscrazy)
    It would be a mess. Harking back to the politics of the 1970s, the 'Three-Day Week' and all that.
    Which was overseen under a Tory PM. Black Wednesday as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    My 5 year course has given me over £20k student debt to pay off. Under the scrapped maintenance grants this could go up to £45k for a 3 year course. Yes it is only 3 years of study but the financial implications last for a lot longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the end of the day people make the decision to go to university, aware of the financial complications :/

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day people make the decision to go to university, aware of the financial complications :/
    Yes I should have stacked shelves rather than get an MChem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mertblog)
    Whether you're labour or Conservative, Green or Lib Dem, whether you're left wing or right. Share your vision of why or why not a Corbyn Britain wouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Britain under Corbyn would only last a week at most.

He would probably hand the country over to ISIS at the first opportunity.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you left uni with £20k in private debt I might have shed a tear for you. £20k in student debt is nothing. It's quite literally the most manageable, least impeding debt you will ever have.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I should have stacked shelves rather than get an MChem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's other options. Apprenticeships for example.

ReputationRep:
    There's other options. Apprenticeships for example.
    So nobody should go to university unless they can pay all their fees and living costs up front?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.