Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Parking is free lol. He's paid his tax and insurance already and it isn't due for a while. Our broadband is free for 18 months. He is on PAYG

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What did you mean about parking in the city then?

Right, so again, he saves 3 quid a week, that is not going to mount up quickly enough for when his tax and insurance are due. Unless he rides a push bike.

What broadband provider are you with to get that kind of deal? Is it an introductory offer? :curious:

So is he topping up his PAYG with the spare 3 quid he is also using to cover tax and insurance?

How is he affording to buy clothes for himself or even presents for yourself / friends / family on occasions like birthdays etc. And I mean literally a birthday card here, not a massive £200 present, with the 3 quid?

Your making it sound like there is moths living in his wallet.

ReputationRep:
    I used to (I've never said it will 'run out' as the above user said, I just said the money could go somewhere more deserving than myself) but I was treated like **** and I've had enough of that so I gave up. They didn't help me get a job at all, just basically said 'are you applying, ok good here's your £60'. They looked down their nose at me like I was scum and more, which I won't go into.
    They do that to everybody though. That is absolutely not a reason to put more financial strain on your partner.

ReputationRep:
    I used to (I've never said it will 'run out' as the above user said, I just said the money could go somewhere more deserving than myself) but I was treated like **** and I've had enough of that so I gave up. They didn't help me get a job at all, just basically said 'are you applying, ok good here's your £60'. They looked down their nose at me like I was scum and more, which I won't go into.
    Yes, I've heard the same from others on here before. Young people who have never had to deal with the Job Centre for any reason before likely won't have any idea. I am not surprised you can't be arsed with the hassle of it if you and your partner are keeping your heads above water without it. However, you could sign on for a week and pay off that £22.50. Unless you have a debilitating mental health condition (which you quite possibly do have, I haven't seen you mention anything about it either way) whereby you really can't take the stress of dealing with them, I'd put up with the annoyance for as long as possible. Especially since you are applying for jobs anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinnyP)
    They do that to everybody though. That is absolutely not a reason to put more financial strain on your partner.
    That really is between her and her partner.

ReputationRep:
    What did you mean about parking in the city then?

Right, so again, he saves 3 quid a week, that is not going to mount up quickly enough for when his tax and insurance are due. Unless he rides a push bike.

What broadband provider are you with to get that kind of deal? Is it an introductory offer? :curious:

So is he topping up his PAYG with the spare 3 quid he is also using to cover tax and insurance?

How is he affording to buy clothes for himself or even presents for yourself / friends / family on occasions like birthdays etc. And I mean literally a birthday card here, not a massive £200 present, with the 3 quid?

Your making it sound like there is moths living in his wallet.

If we wanted a cheaper flat there isn't any parking as the cheap ones are all in the city with yellow-lined roads.
    He uses the extra for his credit yeah but he doesn't spend that much. He just texts me and I phone him. I'm hoping I'll have a job by the time his tax/insurance is due. Luckily a family friend can do his MOT and any servicing for free.

Yes it is introductory (and rubbish. But it works).

He doesn't buy anything else, we've only been renting for 3 weeks and he's been working for a month so he has the money ready to pay the bills etc
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tough, deal with it and stop acting like a baby. It's an extra £60 a week, which you quite clearly desperately need right now. For what it's worth, I've been on job seekers before and I've also felt like **** when I did it. But I still signed on every week, showed that I was looking for work and accepted the money. You seriously need to grow a thicker skin.

You're right, they don't help you get a job, but that's not what they're there for. If you don't find a job after 9 months, they put you on the work programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Tough, deal with it and stop acting like a baby. It's an extra £60 a week, which you quite clearly desperately need right now. For what it's worth, I've been on job seekers before and I've also felt like **** when I did it. But I still signed on every week, showed that I was looking for work and accepted the money. You seriously need to grow a thicker skin.

You're right, they don't help you get a job, but that's not what they're there for. If you don't find a job after 9 months, they put you on the work programme.
    They told me I'd have to work for free, but I volunteer anyway so I didn't see the point of the work programme thing.

I have mental health issues and part of my therapy is basically getting myself out of situations where I'm made to feel that way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    That really is between her and her partner.
    What are you talking about? ???

But he's either under the thumb, or terrified of losing her if he's willing to put up with that.Your partner not being on JSA because the workers there are snobby?

C'mon now, lets not be silly here. She is entitled to the money, and it's making his life harder by her sitting at home not claiming it.

ReputationRep:

But he's either under the thumb, or terrified of losing her if he's willing to put up with that.Your partner not being on JSA because the workers there are snobby?

C'mon now, lets not be silly here. She is entitled to the money, and it's making his life harder by her sitting at home not claiming it.
    He's happy, he is so chilled about everything and just deals with what comes; I'm the worrier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If she dropped out because of mental health problems, or has had them since, it was probably a very good idea for her to choose not to deal with the people who work at the Job Centre on a regular basis. I'm just guessing here.

And the idea that a guy must be 'under the thumb' or terrified of losing his girlfriend as the only reasons for 'putting up with' this kind of thing is daft.

ReputationRep:
    If we wanted a cheaper flat there isn't any parking as the cheap ones are all in the city with yellow-lined roads.
    He uses the extra for his credit yeah but he doesn't spend that much. He just texts me and I phone him. I'm hoping I'll have a job by the time his tax/insurance is due. Luckily a family friend can do his MOT and any servicing for free.

Yes it is introductory (and rubbish. But it works).

He doesn't buy anything else, we've only been renting for 3 weeks and he's been working for a month so he has the money ready to pay the bills etc
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nobody builds a life on the foundations you are building. It's financial suicide. You have an answer for everything, but each time it becomes less believable due to the sheer madness of your apparent approach to money. This 20 quid isn't even the tip of the iceburg.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any friends :s

I'm gonna have to get a small loan, tis the only way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ask your boyfriend!

"I don't have any friends". Stop putting onions in our faces! You will have plenty of friends when you start your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Holson, I still suggest you get on JSA - you're not really in a position to be avoiding any income opportunities, no matter how small they may seem. If you've applied for 430 jobs, you should at least be "paid" for doing that much... you need a new cv

Also look into remote working opportunities, there are loads out there.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 109 replies and this discussion is still going on. OP you have been given several answers on how to deal with the matter, its up to you to decide what to do :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nobody builds a life on the foundations you are building. It's financial suicide. You have an answer for everything, but each time it becomes less believable due to the sheer madness of your apparent approach to money. This 20 quid isn't even the tip of the iceburg.
    Once I have a job our finances will be fine. Even if we're both on minimum wage, 37 hours a week we'll be earning 20,000+ after tax combined, which is more than enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdi112)
    Wow, 109 replies and this discussion is still going on. OP you have been given several answers on how to deal with the matter, its up to you to decide what to do :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Not my fault people keep commenting. Also my original question was 'is there a website' (to pay the money to)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Once I have a job our finances will be fine. Even if we're both on minimum wage, 37 hours a week we'll be earning 20,000+ after tax combined, which is more than enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What kind of work are you looking for at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    They told me I'd have to work for free, but I volunteer anyway so I didn't see the point of the work programme thing.

I have mental health issues and part of my therapy is basically getting myself out of situations where I'm made to feel that way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The point of the work programme is it helps you find paid work. Which is what you need. You can't pay your way in life doing voluntary work.

You might be entitled to disability allowance then? Or just suck it up. It's really not that bad. For £60 a week, it's worth putting up with 5 or 10 minutes of strangers "looking down on you".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    What kind of work are you looking for at the moment?
    Anything going

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not my fault people keep commenting. Also my original question was 'is there a website' (to pay the money to)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The website for repayments is for tuition fee, you need to call them up and set up a payment plan.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.