The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catbakerx
Hey guys! Just wondered if anyone could help me, I've just graduated with an english degree with a 2.2 and was looking to apply for a speech and language uni course (bcu and mm idealy) but my a levels are a bit naff... Would I need to undertake an access course or would my degree suffice as it's kind of relevant? All my a levels are art related also so no biology I have a gcse in it however... Really want to be considered but not sure how to go about it and would really appreciate some advice if possible! Many thanks im advance!

Depends on the university. Some have the attitude that an undergraduate degree trumps all. Others are different. I had undergraduate and master's degrees and Newcastle still wanted me to do a biology HEFC course first. Generally the offer you are given reflects the demands of the course. Newcastle do anatomy and physiology at quite some depth and I know now that would definitely have struggled without the biology qualification. Other universities were quite happy to give me an unconditional offer straight off which probably reflects the fact they do not teach anatomy and physiology to the same depth (not necessarily a bad thing).

If you do some biology before you start then that would put you in a great position but some universities will probably take you as you are. It really depends if you can afford the course and whether it would be convenient or not.
I thought I probably wouldn't be ready to apply for SLT for 2016 entry, but my PhD supervisors have given me a mock viva date for January, so it's possible I could have my PhD submitted and my actual viva done by September. I've decided to bite the bullet and apply. I've no idea how I'll support myself through the course, but I know that if I go into an academic role then there will always be a reason not to apply this year, and I'll never end up following this through. I'm tired of putting off what I really want to do.

I'm applying for postgraduate entry at Sheffield (top choice), Reading, Newcastle, and Essex, and for undergrad entry at MMU, BCU, UEA, Marjon, and Leeds Beckett. Now to work on the thesis and try to save as much money as I can!
(edited 8 years ago)
Really starting to think I won't get the grades for SALT, and I'm panicking a bit, as I'm doing an healthcare Access course so really I'm quite limited in my options. =/ Ugh.
Original post by cherry16
Hi
Which unis did you apply to. What subjects did you do?
What were your predicted grades because I am a bit worried as my predicted grades fall slightly below the entry requirements.

Thank you

I already have a degree as I am a nature student. There is a good mix of mature students and college leavers / students who have taken a gap year.

I know all the courses are very competitive and BCU asks for 3B's or the equivalent. It also helps your application if you have some relevant work experience, including voluntary work.

If you don't meet the requirements I would email the Uni's you are interested in and ask them for advice.
Original post by shropshirelass51
I already have a degree as I am a nature student. There is a good mix of mature students and college leavers / students who have taken a gap year.

I know all the courses are very competitive and BCU asks for 3B's or the equivalent. It also helps your application if you have some relevant work experience, including voluntary work.

If you don't meet the requirements I would email the Uni's you are interested in and ask them for advice.

How are you finding the course - all you hoped it would be? I hope so - can't believe I am in second year now, where does the time go lol?
Original post by RowanB
Really starting to think I won't get the grades for SALT, and I'm panicking a bit, as I'm doing an healthcare Access course so really I'm quite limited in my options. =/ Ugh.

Try not to panic - but you are not alone. I think we all have/had the fear of not getting the grades - I certainly did but I made it :smile: Why are your choices restricted because of the Access course? Excuse my ignorance but I did the A level route.

Have you submitted your application yet?

Good luck - it's a long process but so worth it in the end :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
How are you finding the course - all you hoped it would be? I hope so - can't believe I am in second year now, where does the time go lol?

Hi Amy,
Not been on here much as I have been a bit busy! It is pretty full on and I have switched to the part time route just for the 1st year. Mainly because of the intensity of the anatomy and physiology (in addition to everything else) so that I can really concentrate on that next year and focus on the other courses this year. I also commute, so there's a lot of travel time (it takes up to 2 hours each way) and I have a family..

The Course is really interesting and the staff are all really supportive. I think because it is a 3 year course there's a massive amount of content and if like me you have virtually no biology it is a very steep learning curve.

Hope year 2's going well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shropshirelass51
Hi Amy,
Not been on here much as I have been a bit busy! It is pretty full on and I have switched to the part time route just for the 1st year. Mainly because of the intensity of the anatomy and physiology (in addition to everything else) so that I can really concentrate on that next year and focus on the other courses this year. I also commute, so there's a lot of travel time, it takes up to 2 hours each way.

The Course is really interesting and the staff are all really supportive. I think because it is a 3 year course there's a massive amount of content and if like me you have virtually no biology it is a very steep learning curve.

Hope year 2's going well.

Yeah the biology freaked me a bit too at the start - I had no science since gcse and then I only did the double award! It is a steep learning curve you're right, especially with the wide variety of topics you have to cover - in all honesty think the first year is a whole learning curve - I came straight from college and uni is so different.

Glad to hear you are settling in and getting on! Good luck with the rest of the year(s). Commuting must be a nightmare :smile: don't envy you for that.
Try not to panic - but you are not alone. I think we all have/had the fear of not getting the grades - I certainly did but I made it :smile: Why are your choices restricted because of the Access course? Excuse my ignorance but I did the A level route.

Have you submitted your application yet?

Good luck - it's a long process but so worth it in the end :smile:

Well, because the access course is health-orientated i'll only really have the qualifications to get on a healthcare related course. I'm not restricted with what unis to apply for for SALT - but if i miss the grades for SALT I dunno what i'll do. :frown: I'm so set on it too, and I thought I was capable but the nerves have set in.

I haven't sent my application yet. Don't think our college will send them before Christmas!
Original post by RowanB

Try not to worry! I still panic when it comes to exams and think I won't get the result I need!! It's natural to feel nervous and anxious but just try your very best and I'm sure you will be just fine! It's all worth it in the end :smile:
Thinking about studying Speech and Language Therapy next year? Our next Open Day is this Saturday. It is a chance for you to meet our lecturers and find out all that you need to know about the course. To register, visit www.bcu.ac.uk/opendays
Original post by gscott10
My interview was more of an interview day involving a couple of tests and talks but I believe they are changing the interview system and I will find out more about this running up until Christmas as I think they are getting all years involved in interviewing!

But in response to preparing for an interview I would definitely recommend to prepare fully before hand and if you have to travel then make sure you do everything in advance so you aren't rushing on the day. Just relax and be yourself in the interview. Make sure to take time before answering the question and don't just blurt out. It could be helpful to write down generic answers that you could use to start a variety of responses to help you expand on an answer in the actual exam (if that makes sense). I didn't have a one to one or group interview so I couldn't tell you types of questions but I can presume they will be like a lot of other interview questions e.g. Why do you want to do this course? They may give a scenario or ask you about a time you presented a certain skill, things like that. I hope that helps! If you have any more questions then feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for responding! Super helpful! Did you read anything e.g. SaLT books or articles before the interview? Or current NHS issues? If so, could you please recommend me some? :smile:
Sorry to hijack - if you read last years thread (just after results day) someone got a place at UoM through clearing and I am sure she said they were changing their interview process from this intake (hope I haven't dreamt that lol) - I got an offer from UoM and at that time it was a written interview.

When is your interview - they seem very on the ball this year!

Good luck.

Sorry for such a late response. I'm still getting used TSR :lol:
Aaah, I see. No, this is very useful info. My interview for UoM isn't until February, but I'm preparing myself already.

I also have an interview for MMU in December. In the interview invitation it says there will be an introductory talk, face to face interview and short written assessment. How would you go about preparing for these? Also, did you read anything before your interview (in relation to SLT, etc.)
Original post by chingling
Thank you for responding! Super helpful! Did you read anything e.g. SaLT books or articles before the interview? Or current NHS issues? If so, could you please recommend me some? :smile:

I would definitely recommend checking out the RCSLT website and having a look around there (http://www.rcslt.org). The best thing to do about current NHS issues is to look on news websites like BBC or something and type in NHS and see the most current articles. Other websites such as http://www.nhs.uk/video/pages/speechandlanguagetherapy.aspx could be helpful to navigate around :smile:
Original post by chingling
Sorry for such a late response. I'm still getting used TSR :lol:
Aaah, I see. No, this is very useful info. My interview for UoM isn't until February, but I'm preparing myself already.

I also have an interview for MMU in December. In the interview invitation it says there will be an introductory talk, face to face interview and short written assessment. How would you go about preparing for these? Also, did you read anything before your interview (in relation to SLT, etc.)

Hi! I didn't apply to UoM nor MMU so I'm not too sure about their interview structures, but I agree with gscott about the RCSLT page - it's got so much information about the role of Speech and Language Therapists, and I found it really beneficial in both making my initial decision to study SLT, and in preparation for my interviews last year.

Before my interviews I read a few websites and online articles relating to the NHS and SLT (again, I agree with gscott about the BBC - they tend to have some really informative, insightful articles relating to the NHS - and a lot of great articles about Alzheimers/Dementia etc.).

Just in general, I found Steven Pinker's 'The Language Instinct' a really good read. It was recommended to me at the BCU open day I attended 2 years ago, and although it's not necessarily SLT-focused, it really opened my eyes to language development. It also focuses on conditions such as Specific Language Impairment - which I found really interesting to read about!

Best of luck for your interviews - I'm sure you'll be great!!! :biggrin:
Hi all, I have just finished my first 2 months or so at MMU studying Speech Pathology, I have decided to defer for now so will be starting again next year! If anybody would like to know anything about the course, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by nesca89
Hi all, I have just finished my first 2 months or so at MMU studying Speech Pathology, I have decided to defer for now so will be starting again next year! If anybody would like to know anything about the course, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Hope all is ok with you
Original post by nesca89

Why did you defer?!
Original post by JordanC55
Why did you defer?!

Just personal circumstances, causing me to miss a few lectures and get behind with work. So I will start again next year when the timing is better :smile: It was a hard decision but I feel better now. I am just going to take some time getting more experience behind me so I can get a better job when I qualify! :smile:
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Becky,

Reading's night life is really good (well in my opinion). We have about four main nightclubs, lots of pubs and bars and the students union. If you wanted to you could go out every night Monday to Saturday on a student night. In halls you have club reps, who also live in the halls, and can sell you tickets in advance, so you get them cheaper. On student nights entry is cheaper and there are lots of drinks offers. You also have Wednesday and Saturday club nights in Union. This is when the students union gets converted to a big night club. Tickets are only like £3 if you are a student and have your NUS card, the drinks are cheap and there are different rooms to suit all music preferences. My favourite room is the newly extended cheese room, with music like Sclub, Spice girls and Busted. We even congo out of the room at the end of the night!

Yes there are lots of sports clubs and societies, over 150. Here is the link, so you can find something you really like: https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/
So there are lots of activities to keep you busy. There are also comedy nights and quiz and karaoke, which both go on in the Union on different nights. Also on Friday the university are putting on a firework display for us all, and at Christmas we had a Christmas fayre. So yes there is lots to do. I like to keep myself busy, and I have had no trouble filling my time.

I hope that has answered your question. Feel free to ask me anything else.
Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer

Sorry I didn't see the reply till now! Okay that sounds really good especially the cheesy room! Thank you so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest