Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    Another gem from that source:

Afzular Rahman , “Role of Muslim Women in Society”, p. 149:

How kind of him, to "tolerate" his (house)wife's "excesses"! :daydreaming:
    Blessed is Umar, my favourite companion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    Thank you. But why use Google if all the answers are in the Quran. Where do I sign up?
    But only Google truly has all the answers. If Google knows all then Google must be... Dear God. Google is God quickly spread the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Religion)
    There are hidden scientific miracles in the Quran. It does say how 71.11% of earth is water and 28.88% is land. It also mentions 'man' and 'woman' 23 times, representing the 23 chromosomes needed from each sex to reproduce.
    Why if you have a miracle would you hide it, leaving it for people to work out your code of so many of this word + so many of another word = whatever.

If I discovered a cure for cancer it would surely be a miracle. Should I write a scientific paper disclosing my results but write it in code so people have to work out what it means for themselves?

I think I found the crux of that (needlessly superfluous and wooly) article.

1. So even this website agrees that the Quran mandates a man to use violence and "hit" his wife (but no such opposite mandate exists, as men are the "guardians" of women - of course, what would poor little women do without men? :rolleyes:).
    2. The Quran mandates that is is the man's role to check the morality of his wife and discipline her if he judges that she has transgressed moral norms of Islam (endemically, and blatantly, sexist).
    3. This alternative interpretation is contradictory: it posits that the Quran states that a husband is allowed "to hit" his wife but not "cause pain". So we are to assume that by "hit" it means "light touch"? This does not make sense. If so, what would be the point of such light contact? It would be so light so as to not have any foreseeable effect.
    4. Try again.
    Spoiler:
    Show

arfah I think I found the alternative interpretation. Please let me know your thoughts on my analysis of it.
    Thank you. Why didn't she just give me that paragraph..
    It's eased my mind that hitting isn't allowed to 'cause pain', but how one can know how to 'hit' but then make sure it doesnt hurt the other person is beyond me. Also hit me and I'll hit back which isn't allowed for a woman to do I presume..

ReputationRep:
    Another gem from that source:

Afzular Rahman , “Role of Muslim Women in Society”, p. 149:

How kind of him, to "tolerate" his (house)wife's "excesses"! :daydreaming:
    if you read it again you would realise that women have more rights than men in islam. And it's not really a "beating", it's a symbolic gesture to show that the husband is dissatisfied.

ReputationRep:
    Why if you have a miracle would you hide it, leaving it for people to work out your code of so many of this word + so many of another word = whatever.

If I discovered a cure for cancer it would surly be a miracle. Should I write a scientific paper disclosing my results but write it in code so people have to work out what it means for themselves?
    Ratio of water to land is 13:32
    Water is said 13 times
    Land is said 32 times
    Quite clear actually. If it is any more clear then there is no point of religion anymore. Everyone would believe in it. Now do you think this is a coincidence or that it was intended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Thank you. Why didn't she just give me that paragraph..
    It's eased my mind that hitting isn't allowed to 'cause pain', but how one can know how to 'hit' but then make sure it doesnt hurt the other person is beyond me. Also hit me and I'll hit back which isn't allowed for a woman to do I presume..
    Well that interpretation simply makes no sense. They have construed "to hit" to mean not "cause pain", which must mean a light tap.

Can you imagine your husband judging your conduct had been "immoral" and deciding to "hit" you by tapping you on the shoulder?

That is laughable (and clearly a *******isation of the quite unequivocal verse).

ReputationRep:
    Mixing? Again the only way they mix is by physical agitation. If I put a cup of saltwater and freshwater (with a much larger density difference) in a bowl, they would still mix.
    No, that's not true. Do you know the electrochemistry of mixing? Even without agitation mixing takes place, just not as much as with agitation.

ReputationRep:
    It's your personal journey, don't rush to make a decision with what you believe. I was in doubt over my Christianity for about 4 years as I was raised Christian, I took my time and then came to the conclusion the Bible is not compatible with my personal beliefs and values (about women, men, children, sexuality etc.) and there's nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)
    if you read it again you would realise that women have more rights than men in islam. And it's not really a "beating", it's a symbolic gesture to show that the husband is dissatisfied.
    Sarcasm? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No, that's not true. Do you know the electrochemistry of mixing? Even without agitation mixing takes place, just not as much as with agitation.
    So now your argument is that the oceans do mix but very slowly. These oceans have been around for 4 billion years. How much longer will it take to mix?

ReputationRep:
    Ratio of water to land is 13:32
    Water is said 13 times
    Land is said 32 times
    Quite clear actually. If it is any more clear then there is no point of religion anymore. Everyone would believe in it. Now do you think this is a coincidence or that it was intended?
    I refer you to the KFC video.

ReputationRep:
    I refer you to the KFC video.
    Not everyone is open minded or is intelligent enough to believe in a higher power.

Well that interpretation simply makes no sense. They have construed "to hit" to mean not "cause pain", which must mean a light tap.

Can you imagine your husband judging your conduct had been "immoral" and deciding to "hit" you by tapping you on the shoulder?

That is laughable (and clearly a *******isation of the quite unequivocal verse).
    Apparently it is a tap, but translation makes the word into 'hit' or something. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Apparently it is a tap, but translation makes the word into 'hit' or something. :dontknow:
    But, even allowing that obvious *******isation, what would be the point of such a "tap"?

As I said, imagine the following scenario: you are married to a man, you are both muslims. Your muslim husband adjudges that you have acted "immorally", so decides to "tap" you. What would be the point of this? Imagine this actually happening. It is laughably absurd/childlike, which renders it completely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm? :lol:
    Not at all. Read that Hadith again. husbands are obligated to be breadwinners, while wives do NOT even have to look after the house and kids according to the Hadith you quoted. The wives may decide to be housewives but if they don't want to do that, then husbands are required to hire maids, nurses, nannies etc.

Have you ever been in a relationship? Have you ever been in a fight/argument with your partner? In Islam, men are urged to overlook, ignore and forgive their wives instead of arguing back and beating them. This is why Umar, despite being a caliph and an authority figure, tolerated his wife's harsh words and actions.

ReputationRep:
    So now your argument is that the oceans do mix but very slowly. These oceans have been around for 4 billion years. How much longer will it take to mix?
    The oceans are generally different due to their area in the world, currents etc. No one is saying that all the world's oceans will mix until there's only 1 left because oceans' characteristics are affected by things other than mixing. Nonetheless, there aren't barriers that can't be transgressed. When you're on a ship you won't see some line in the water when you pass from the Atlantic to the Pacific for example.

And you still haven't explained how such a claim would be miraculous in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    The oceans are generally different due to their area in the world, currents etc. No one is saying that all the world's oceans will mix until there's only 1 left because oceans' characteristics are affected by things other than mixing. Nonetheless, there aren't barriers that can't be transgressed. When you're on a ship you won't see some line in the water when you pass from the Atlantic to the Pacific for example.

And you still haven't explained how such a claim would be miraculous in the first place.
    Wrong, when you are on a ship you will see a line between two oceans. There is a very clear contrast.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone is open minded or is intelligent enough to believe in a higher power.
    Resorting to insult is not becoming of you, besides your comment being unfounded in general.

But, even allowing that obvious *******isation, what would be the point of such a "tap"?

As I said, imagine the following scenario: you are married to a man, you are both muslims. Your muslim husband adjudges that you have acted "immorally", so decides to "tap" you. What would be the point of this? Imagine this actually happening. It is laughably absurd/childlike, which renders it completely ridiculous.
    My hubby would tap dat hard

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.