Labour's Exteme Left Shadow Cabinet, no women in top jobs & appoints John McDonnell! Watch

Mr JB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
I think he probably was just too busy giving his best friend what he wanted to care how qualified Angela was, I don't think there's much evidence out there that he's a homophobe.
Why would he hire someone he doesn't trust as much over someone he trusts for such an important role? In the world of politics and business there is simply more to a persons credentials than what is on paper. Please never become an entrepreneur as you wouldn't last two minutes. Its all about man management, delegation of responsibility and trust is paramount to all of that.
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some of you lot have some cheek, you know. You spend years talking about how "progressive" and supporting of feminism you are. Then your boy gets elected on a platform of equality and does this. And you're defending it and talking about "feminazis".

Good job, gang. Showing your true colours.
L'Allegro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The worst thing is that people don't care, Corbyn could literally get rid of all moderate mps and people will still defend him til the cows come home.
I'm actually tempted to call you out about Corbyn not delivering equality. I see nine women named here in the reshuffle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

In total, sixteen are women and fifteen are men.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-politics-live

Please respond to this. It seems like, frankly, he has delivered.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr JB)
No. It is your opinion you are trying to pass off as fact. Again, he doesn't think she is right for that particular role and in fact has given her two other important roles. However, McDonnell quite clearly got the job in question because he can (a) be trusted - the most important thing in any business and (b) he is from the same school of thought as Corbyn himself so will passionately convey the new message of the party.

Keep crying all you like. Its not going to change anything. Those of us with perspective and understanding of the real world realise that there is more to appointing someone than academic credentials or even experience in a position. You continue to shout out nepotism but obviously you have little understanding of the real world because if you did, you'd realise that in the vast majority of cases its who you know as well as what you know that gets you the top jobs. Its always been that way, will always be that way and you need to accept it.

Go and set up your own business and see the world for what it is before preaching ridiculous diatribe in an obvious attempt to push your feminist viewpoints. No, simply put, it is only your opinion that Angela is more qualified just as its my own opinion that I'd have hired McDonnell for the position because overall he is far more suitable for the role. Not everyone in this world thinks as you do, your opinion is not fact, so withdraw your head from your arse.
Being best mates with the leader does not make you the best qualified person to be chancellor (except apparently in your world)

You are a fanatic. You will always defend Corbyn whatever decisions he makes. How long have you been a party member for? Have you ever even been on the doorstep in a marginal?

Irony is I already have my own business! Strangeley enough though I didn't appoint my numerically illiterate brother to do the accounts...
L'Allegro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To reiterate in a seperate post:

'No women in top jobs'.

'Sixteen people in Labour's Shadow Cabinet after reshuffle'.

I see a problem here.

Plus people like Caroline Flint turned down posts.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L'Allegro)
I'm actually tempted to call you out about Corbyn not delivering equality. I see nine women named here in the reshuffle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

In total, sixteen are women and fifteen are men.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-politics-live

Please respond to this. It seems like, frankly, he has delivered.
None of them are in the top positions though. As I said earlier, it's all well and good employing 50% women, but if they're all cleaners and secretaries then that isn't equality.
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The worst thing is that people don't care, Corbyn could literally get rid of all moderate mps and people will still defend him til the cows come home.
Before this bandwagon nobody questioned Liz Kendall's convictions. Then she starts getting abuse for being a Tory. Incredible. I'd be worried if I were a party member with moderate views.

The way some of these people go on, it's like they've joined a cult.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr JB)
Why would he hire someone he doesn't trust as much over someone he trusts for such an important role? In the world of politics and business there is simply more to a persons credentials than what is on paper. Please never become an entrepreneur as you wouldn't last two minutes. Its all about man management, delegation of responsibility and trust is paramount to all of that.
You know that mps aren't entrepreneurs right? Have you got confused between political parties and businesses somewhere along the lines?
L'Allegro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None of them are in the top positions though. As I said earlier, it's all well and good employing 50% women, but if they're all cleaners and secretaries then that isn't equality.
Uh, sure. Fair enough. But it's not like these jobs are insignificant, either. He's still entrusted women in his Shadow Cabinet with a lot of responsibility.
L'Allegro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You know that mps aren't entrepreneurs right? Have you got confused between political parties and businesses somewhere along the lines?
In all fairness, the Tories have made it hard to tell the difference.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KimKallstrom)
Before this bandwagon nobody questioned Liz Kendall's convictions. Then she starts getting abuse for being a Tory. Incredible. I'd be worried if I were a party member with moderate views.

The way some of these people go on, it's like they've joined a cult.
I agree, it's horrible to see what's happening. We've got people in our plp coming to their first ever meeting and insisting on being made deligates, even over their own councillors.

I'm a party member with moderate views, I definiteley breathed a sigh of relief when Heidi got into the shadow cabinet because it means they can't kick us all out.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well all well and good except he ran on a campaign of promoting women and gender equality, promising 50% women in the shadow cabinet, 'a different kind of politics' as all his promoional material said, only to relegate them to secondary positions.

Man's a total hypocrite.
They're a majority in the shadow cabinet. That's a first.

You don't choose women based on the fact they're women, you choose who you think will work best in certain positions.

Lol, cleaners and secretaries you say. They're in the bloody shadow cabinet
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Clearly the right wing media has got to Mr JBs head, and he thinks parliament is just another business
Mr JB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being best mates with the leader does not make you the best qualified person to be chancellor (except apparently in your world)
Trust does, and he can trust McDonnell to not backstab him at a time when Labour is going through chance and there are numerous MP's out there waiting for that exact opportunity to do so.

You are a fanatic. You will always defend Corbyn whatever decisions he makes. How long have you been a party member for? Have you ever even been on the doorstep in a marginal?
More bull**** and delusion from yourself.

1. I'm not a Labour member and never will be
2. I'm actually a supporter of a federal devolved UK, true free-market capitalism and a localised society
3. I support Corbyn solely on the premise of (a) anti-neoliberalism and (b) promoting peace

More nonsense coming from someone living in a realm of utter delusion.

Irony is I already have my own business!
Yes, sure you do. You're a (former) PhD student and if you had any true experience of working in business, you'd understand that when it comes to managing people, which is exactly what Corbyn has to do as party leader, trust and people skills are everything.

Strangeley enough though I didn't appoint my numerically illiterate brother to do the accounts...
No. You probably hired your mother on the basis that she has a vagina.

No. I just understand that man management involves a lot of trust. Corbyn can trust McDonnell more than anyone else, which is important, hence why he got the job. All you have done is illustrate your complete lack of understanding when it comes to business and in particular, interpersonal skills.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
They're a majority in the shadow cabinet. That's a first.

You don't choose women based on the fact they're women, you choose who you think will work best in certain positions.

Lol, cleaners and secretaries you say. They're in the bloody shadow cabinet
Well he clearly has picked people based on their gender because who the **** is Kerry McCarthy and what the **** has she got to do with the environment? Ooh she does a bit of animal welfare stuff, because that's related to the environment...noooot

Christ there were so many other MPs who actually had experience on this issue.

I've just died inside, I'm so gutted. My final hope was he might take the environmental side of things seriously.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Uh, sure. Fair enough. But it's not like these jobs are insignificant, either. He's still entrusted women in his Shadow Cabinet with a lot of responsibility.
But when you've run your campaign on an equality platform you just can't do that...

It also seems to me that he's put women into other roles that they aren't qualified for just because they are women. It's all a mess.
Mr JB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Clearly the right wing media has got to Mr JBs head, and he thinks parliament is just another business
Where did I say they were the same? Many of the skills required are the same, yet you're both too daft to notice this. Party leaders, just like entrepreneurial business owners, require great management skills, interpersonal skills and trust is paramount. If you think people at this level are hired solely on the basis of education and work experience then by God you are both living in a world of delusion.

Are you seriously suggesting that a party leader does not require great management skills, great interpersonal skills and trust from his delegates, just as a business owner does? If so, then you are only highlighting your own idiocy.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well he clearly has picked people based on their gender because who the **** is Kerry McCarthy and what the **** has she got to do with the environment? Ooh she does a bit of animal welfare stuff, because that's related to the environment...noooot

Christ there were so many other MPs who actually had experience on this issue.

I've just died inside, I'm so gutted. My final hope was he might take the environmental side of things seriously.
Food wastage and such is part of the environment too. She seems to have knowledge of business and globalisation, all you need is international knowledge, finance helps, to help combat global warming. It's obvious what needs doing, you just need someone to get it done.

He's obviously discussed it with her, and others, so there must be a reason to it. He could have easily swapped roles around if it was solely gender.
Mr JB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/30...s-and-business

Welcome to the real world. Corbyn can trust McDonnell to do that job and not backstab him. Trust is the most important thing.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Food wastage and such is part of the environment too. She seems to have knowledge of business and globalisation, all you need is international knowledge, finance helps, to help combat global warming. It's obvious what needs doing, you just need someone to get it done.

He's obviously discussed it with her, and others, so there must be a reason to it. He could have easily swapped roles around if it was solely gender.

It should have been Barry, we all wanted it to be Barry :'(
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads