Turn on thread page Beta

How can Corbyn represent the 'working class' when he hasn't worked a day in his life? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Why? Is it just because the unions are democratic and transparent, so that their influence is more reported on in the press? I wonder why rich businessmen give money to all the other parties if they have no influence. Are such donors just sentimental old fools with too much money?
    I think it might be because they explicitly attach political conditions to some of their donations, they make sure their candidates get selected for y elections, and they pack the Labour Party hierarchy with their former employees.
    Rich businessmen also give money to Labour. There is no distinction between Labour and any other party in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Is it just because the unions are democratic and transparent, so that their influence is more reported on in the press? I wonder why rich businessmen give money to all the other parties if they have no influence. Are such donors just sentimental old fools with too much money?
    The irony of a Labour leader with anti-Semitic sympathies being defended by someone who identifies himself as an unclean part of the male genitalia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    The irony of a Labour leader with anti-Semitic sympathies being defended by someone who identifies himself as an unclean part of the male genitalia.
    Very clever, in fact I think circumcision is barbaric and should be banned

ReputationRep:
    Very clever, in fact I think circumcision is barbaric and should be banned
    And Jews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    I think it might be because they explicitly attach political conditions to some of their donations, they make sure their candidates get selected for y elections, and they pack the Labour Party hierarchy with their former employees.
    Rich businessmen also give money to Labour. There is no distinction between Labour and any other party in that respect.
    Well then you should be very happy with recent trends in the Labour Party, such as Miliband getting rid of the union block vote and the subsequent landslide election of Jeremy Corbyn across all categories of members.

The radical left has been trying and failing to get its candidate elected in Labour since, well, since the party began. But it seems like individual Labour supporters are more radical than the unions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    And Jews?
    No, I don’t think they should be banned? What are you driving at here?

ReputationRep:
    Well then you should be very happy with recent trends in the Labour Party, such as Miliband getting rid of the union block vote and the subsequent landslide election of Jeremy Corbyn across all categories of members.

The radical left has been trying and failing to get its candidate elected in Labour since, well, since the party began. But it seems like individual Labour supporters are more radical than the unions...
    I am. I think Corbyn represents left-wing opinion very well. He's transparently stupid, deluded, out-of-touch, outdated, intellectually bankrupt and not up to the job. I started off thinking he was honest and consistent, but the more we learn.....i'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    I am. I think Corbyn represents left-wing opinion very well. He's transparently stupid, deluded, out-of-touch, outdated, intellectually bankrupt and not up to the job. I started off thinking he was honest and consistent, but the more we learn.....i'm not so sure.
    He is not intellectually bankrupt, if anything he is too intellectual for his own good. I certainly don't support almost the entirety of his foreign policy and he really ought to try some anti-immigrant rhetoric at some point. However he has brought, or is to bring, excellent and radical ideas about economics to the top table of politics. I didn't vote for him necessarily because I think he could win the election or because I even want him to so so, but it is vitally important that an anti-austerity economic narrative is put to the British people.

As for dishonesty, the only places where he and his faction have been dishonest is when trying to appease the media, for example over the national anthem (which I think he should have sung). It is cheering to me that they are so unpractised with dishonesty that it's obvious when they try to lie. It suggests to me that they are men of principle.

ReputationRep:
    King Corbyn is going to print money and give it to the poor and idle. WOOOOH KING CORBYN WHAT A GUY. MODERN DAY ROBIN HOOD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    UKIP are ex-Tories they support the Tories on pretty much everything other than Immigration.Remind me exactly how UKIP addresses the issues of the working class?
    They want to restrict immigration - this will be better for the local working class

less immigration = better public services, lower taxes, more jobs for local people, better wages, more housing, schools etc.....but Corbyn - hell, he just wants to give it all away to the refugees/immigrants etc..no thanks,

ReputationRep:
    He is not intellectually bankrupt, if anything he is too intellectual for his own good. I certainly don't support almost the entirety of his foreign policy and he really ought to try some anti-immigrant rhetoric at some point. However he has brought, or is to bring, excellent and radical ideas about economics to the top table of politics. I didn't vote for him necessarily because I think he could win the election or because I even want him to so so, but it is vitally important that an anti-austerity economic narrative is put to the British people.

As for dishonesty, the only places where he and his faction have been dishonest is when trying to appease the media, for example over the national anthem (which I think he should have sung). It is cheering to me that they are so unpractised with dishonesty that it's obvious when they try to lie. It suggests to me that they are men of principle.
    Certainly he seems not to have a spin doctor, which is good. He really doesn't have the slightest understanding of economics. Quite frankly, the topic of austerity has been the prime plank in Labour's last two election defeats. It's a very minority interest now. The issue is settled, the tories and liberals were right. Austerity never really existed, it was merely the end of a gravy train in the public sector. You're not going to win an election in 5 years by arguing over austerity a decade after the decisive moment. We have strong economic growth, rising real incomes, low unemployment, and a radical left-wing narrative which denies the facts and is only of appeal to public sector workers and crypto-communists is going to be tough to sell to the real world.

Corbyn might as well stand on a platform of re-opening all the coal mines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    UKIP are ex-Tories they support the Tories on pretty much everything other than Immigration.Remind me exactly how UKIP addresses the issues of the working class?
    For a start one is librarian the other isn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.