Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a Computer Programer AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bailfire)
    I'm surprised websites that don't use SPROCs still exist lool
    haha I think he deliberately made it sort of insecure so we could hack it easily. He gave us a version of PHPBB and told us to hack it, we had to install the server locally.

I think XSS is pretty sweet but I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to use nowadays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elohssa_41)
    don't forget the shadow space
    I'm not familiar myself with that .. not enough assembly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    I'm not familiar myself with that .. not enough assembly
    Oh it's just an annoying quirk in the x64 calling conventions windows uses ("__fastcall" ). It's why a stack overflow tends to happen with less calls on windows then other OSs (given same stack size).

ReputationRep:
    Oh it's just an annoying quirk in the x64 calling conventions windows uses ("__fastcall" ). It's why a stack overflow tends to happen with less calls on windows then other OSs (given same stack size).
    ok, but I thought WIN32 used __stdcall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    ok, but I thought WIN32 used __stdcall
    I think so (for x86). I only ever learned x64 assembly, which is a superset of x86 assembly but obvs the calling conventions need to be learnt seperately. x64 (__fastcall version which windows uses) conventions are like:

First 4 params in registers: rcx/xmm0, rdx/xmm1, r8/xmm2, r9/xmm3 (sse registers are used if the arguement if a float/double). Next parameters are on the stack. Even though the first 4 parameters are in registers, 32 bytes (8*4) of memory must be reserved on the stack as 'shadow space' for them (probs for debugging purposes). Even if < 4 params are used, the 32 bytes of shadow space is still reserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    The year in placement will be more useful for you in terms of the industry, but your masters will give you an edge for the more technical roles, for instance some roles may want highly skilled people and so ask for a masters but these are usually quite rare in what i've found.

They usually want a 2:1 graduate who has done a year in industry*. if you have to choose between integrated masters and placement It's a tough choice but it really depends on what you want, industry experience is a serious advantage, a masters is a more niche advantage but it's great to do a masters and you wont get the oppertunity to again for as cheaply, unless Osbourne introduces the masters program loans in 2016 but that's unlikely.

Hope this helps
    Thank you for replying

I am really interested in doing the year out, however I have also applied for a summer internship as a software developer for next july, do you think doing that for 10 weeks + i do have other work experience in unskilled jobs as well as a placement I did on my BTEC would be enough to slightly compensate for it, i really want to do the masters and as you said the UG funding would be really useful for the MSc, i would also hope to do another 10-12 week placement after my third yearand before my forth year

What do you thin? does that sound like enough experience? I would have (hopefully) 6 months as a Software Developer, 2 years working in a supermarket and the placement i did on my BTEC as an IT Repair Technician.

I could do a 5 year coursr with 1 yr placement and an MSc but i dont really want to be at uni 5 years after starting,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Thank you for replying

I am really interested in doing the year out, however I have also applied for a summer internship as a software developer for next july, do you think doing that for 10 weeks + i do have other work experience in unskilled jobs as well as a placement I did on my BTEC would be enough to slightly compensate for it, i really want to do the masters and as you said the UG funding would be really useful for the MSc, i would also hope to do another 10-12 week placement after my third yearand before my forth year

What do you thin? does that sound like enough experience? I would have (hopefully) 6 months as a Software Developer, 2 years working in a supermarket and the placement i did on my BTEC as an IT Repair Technician.

I could do a 5 year coursr with 1 yr placement and an MSc but i dont really want to be at uni 5 years after starting,
    I think ideally you would do both; the years in industry and the masters. If you can do that then go for it, most work but way worth it.

You'll be uber employable, the job market for us grads is great too, i'm getting a lot of feedback from recruiters, job interviews. It feels nice to be "wanted" but someone in your position would be in an even stronger position because you'd have years in industry AND the masters accrediation which employers like, the experience will give you a massive edge against grads who have none and the masters will give you another edge.

Definately keep this route you're on and you'll be employable. Most of the roles are in programming so make sure you spend your 5 years using a programming language and getting good. Saying you have "5 years in C#" is something you REALLY want because employers will want you to know how to code 100% and also be good. You need experience in it so make sure you learn well that's the most important part IMO, if you don't have that you'll be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Knowledge of whatever sector you are working in e.g. if making a stock trading AI, programming is only half of it, you have to know some finance and probably some advanced maths. If working in turbo-mechanics, then knowledge of that sector can be more important than programming.

It won't be, but you just have to learn something new. In a year an absolute TON of stuff can be learnt. I learnt a lot more in 1 year of uni, then I did in the other 3, because I was more motivated/interested in the subject.
    Your degree lasted 4 years? How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    I think ideally you would do both; the years in industry and the masters. If you can do that then go for it, most work but way worth it.

You'll be uber employable, the job market for us grads is great too, i'm getting a lot of feedback from recruiters, job interviews. It feels nice to be "wanted" but someone in your position would be in an even stronger position because you'd have years in industry AND the masters accrediation which employers like, the experience will give you a massive edge against grads who have none and the masters will give you another edge.

Definately keep this route you're on and you'll be employable. Most of the roles are in programming so make sure you spend your 5 years using a programming language and getting good. Saying you have "5 years in C#" is something you REALLY want because employers will want you to know how to code 100% and also be good. You need experience in it so make sure you learn well that's the most important part IMO, if you don't have that you'll be screwed.
    Thank you very much for your responses, I will try and change to the 5 year course (4 left) when i go back to uni next week

Much appriciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Your degree lasted 4 years? How come?
    I did a year's placement. The last 2/3 of my placement and the first 1/3 of my final year, is where I learnt most of what I know Before that I was pretty standard, and after that, about the only major skill I picked up is socket programming (boost::asio centered), but I also forgot a ton of stuff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.