Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahBolland)
    UUUUHHHHHHH 8 for Repro and TWO for histopathology
    I'll probably go for Manchester at first choice and then Liverpool as second and I cant remember if you get a third choice option?! Maybe one of the London ones.
    With your preferences do you choose a hospital or a region (e.g. North West)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by echelonprincess)
    With your preferences do you choose a hospital or a region (e.g. North West)?
    Last year you could rank as many places as you wanted (hospitals)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stp2015)
    Last year you could rank as many places as you wanted (hospitals)
    Awesome thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember how long you get to do your psychometric tests? The deadline, but also how long you get to answer each question?

(Original post by librarygirl)
    Does anyone remember how long you get to do your psychometric tests? The deadline, but also how long you get to answer each question?
    Was 75 or 90 seconds on the practise ones I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex83)
    Was 75 or 90 seconds on the practise ones I think.
    Per question? Do you get a couple of days or so to do the tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsvety)
    Wohoooo, I'm quite happy with the number of post for Genomics and Genomic Counselling, relatively to all places it looks good Anyone else applying for Genomic Counselling?
    I'm gonna apply for the genomic counselling. I wouldn't advise applying for both because you only get one application form, and I don't think you can be specific enough to fit both criteria. So like, genomic counselling you wanna focus on your people skills but genomics is totally patient-absent and should focus on your clinical lab skills! Good luck though

Yep - I think 75 seconds for the whole test would result in everyone failing! I sure the time you have to take the tests earlier, but can't remember - it should be somewhere on the website.

(Original post by emm18)
    I'm gonna apply for the genomic counselling. I wouldn't advise applying for both because you only get one application form, and I don't think you can be specific enough to fit both criteria. So like, genomic counselling you wanna focus on your people skills but genomics is totally patient-absent and should focus on your clinical lab skills! Good luck though
    You might as well apply for both, even if you tailor it towards one or the other. Nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    There's like 4 questions to a table/graph and the first question for that specific diagram is 90seconds and the other 3 are 75 seconds. Very hard to do in the time scale. Tests can be done any time after application submitted but only in one sitting and before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Wohoooo, I'm quite happy with the number of post for Genomics and Genomic Counselling, relatively to all places it looks good Anyone else applying for Genomic Counselling?
    Yes I am! I read somewhere (in the last hour) about how genomic counselling is different to genetic counselling.. but I cannot remember where
    did u see something like this anywhere??? Like how it is more science-y than before.

Have you ever applied before?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I've spoken to, who works in the NHS, seems totally unfussed about the name change. Our role and job isn't going to change but in the future genomics will play a greater role. Genomics encapsulates things like NGS and means you have a bigger picture about the whole genome compared to genetic testing where you may be aware of only a few loci.

Yeah I applied last year for genetics and got to shortlisting but was a reserve for interview. Now I've done a masters and feel in a much better place. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nech)
    Yes I am! I read somewhere (in the last hour) about how genomic counselling is different to genetic counselling.. but I cannot remember where
    did u see something like this anywhere??? Like how it is more science-y than before.

Have you ever applied before?
    I've been reading about it (wasn't 100% what genomic entails here), too, and actually I like genomic more than genetic ^^. It's awesome that there's another root now to becoming a genetic/genomic counselor than Manchester's masters program which happens every two years for 10 people and costs more than what I could potentially afford...

Nope, I'm in my final year of BSc. so it's my first time...been preparing for a while though. Bought some numeracy tests a while ago because they really scare me What about you?

(Original post by emm18)
    Everyone I've spoken to, who works in the NHS, seems totally unfussed about the name change. Our role and job isn't going to change but in the future genomics will play a greater role. Genomics encapsulates things like NGS and means you have a bigger picture about the whole genome compared to genetic testing where you may be aware of only a few loci.Yeah I applied last year for genetics and got to shortlisting but was a reserve for interview. Now I've done a masters and feel in a much better place. How about you?
    Did you get some feedback last year? To help you tailor your application even better now...And what Master's did you do?

I'm not sure I can actually apply. I've noticed this in the FAQ.

Please note that any academic qualifications declared during application will need to be completed by start date of the programme. It is a requirement of the Higher Education Institutions that applicants must not be enrolled on two academic programmes by start date of the programme.
    I'm coming towards the end of my PhD and am confident that I'll have submitted by then. Unfortunately I can't 100% guarantee it, and after submission I'd still have to wait for my viva, which would be out of my hands. It'd be fine for any other job, but being registered for an MSc means it'd be a problem here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex83)
    I'm not sure I can actually apply. I've noticed this in the FAQ.

I'm coming towards the end of my PhD and am confident that I'll have submitted by then. Unfortunately I can't 100% guarantee it, and after submission I'd still have to wait for my viva, which would be out of my hands. It'd be fine for any other job, but being registered for an MSc means it'd be a problem here.
    This is new for this year by the looks of it. It was never a problem applying if you were finishing up a PhD before (myself included in past years). Although, from speaking to my current consultant clinical scientist, it could have been a reason in the past for not getting onto the STP - the STP is a huge amount of work and you can't be having to write up your thesis while working throughout the day and having to do STP competencies after work while also writing up. It has apparently led to a few STP trainees to either drop out or request large amounts of time off to help with their workload. Normally if you're registered for a PhD and you have submitted/very close to submission, the dual registration of universities shouldn't matter. If you were actually studying for two degrees then that's different.

If you will have submitted by that point, you still should be eligible to apply as the registration is just a formality. Maybe contact the NSHCS because this looks like a new rule they've stated for this year.

ReputationRep:
    Ranking your location preference apparently doesn't increase or reduce your chances dependent on the positions available, since the criteria is all the same. Frankly, I'm happy to just go where a job is!

It's a catch-22. I don't need the qualification to become a clinical scientist, I've got exactly the right skills and experience that I'd be confident of getting it. But if I dropped out it'd look awful and probably prevent me from getting the job.

I do think I'll be able to submit before then, but even so I'd still be registered as a student while I waited for my viva. I'll email NSHCS, but it looks like a year on the dole for me before applying in 2017.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm planning on applying for the Neurophysiology stream, I was just looking on the NSHCS website and I couldn't find an application deadline? Has anyone found one?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megan456)
    Hi there,

I'm planning on applying for the Neurophysiology stream, I was just looking on the NSHCS website and I couldn't find an application deadline? Has anyone found one?

Thanks!!
    12th Feb i think. it said on the FAQs for STP

ReputationRep:
    At least the word count for the essay questions has gone up to 250 words.

ReputationRep:

Did you get some feedback last year? To help you tailor your application even better now...And what Master's did you do?
    Nope! They really give you nothing other than a shortlist score, which is still hard to figure out the meaning tbh. Basically, the general advice is to go away and do something in the year to give you more experience. They have about 8000 applicants in total so it's difficult to give feedback to them all.

My Masters is MSc Prenatal Genetics and Fetal Medicine at UCL and I think it's been invaluable!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.