Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Incidentally, for someone who isn't debating anything, you're posting an awful lot in this thread. I wonder exactly what you think you're achieving.
    To laugh at men, of course!

(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    :lol: you men are so funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    So recently in my country, a woman stabbed her rapist to death whilst he was raping her.
    Apparently the rapist was a notorious pastor in the area that was well known for molesting the local women. His killer/victim allegedly came to him for spiritual guidance and he invited her to the local baptism pool for 'deliverance'. He then began to rape her and in her struggle to get free she picked up a sharp stick conveniently lying around and stabbed him to death.

The woman was arrested but released shortly after on bail. She is now considered a local hero.
    The late 'pastor' left behind a wife and kids.

Do you think what she did was right? Would you do the same in her situation? Do you think it's right to kill anyone even if it's in self defense?

Edit: I am of the opinion that she did this in an act of self defense. I would probably do same in her position.
    Just wanted to see other opinions
    In self defence, that's fine. In vengeance? No. If I caught someone sexually assaulting someone else they would not leave uninjured.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So recently in my country, a woman stabbed her rapist to death whilst he was raping her.
    Apparently the rapist was a notorious pastor in the area that was well known for molesting the local women. His killer/victim allegedly came to him for spiritual guidance and he invited her to the local baptism pool for 'deliverance'. He then began to rape her and in her struggle to get free she picked up a sharp stick conveniently lying around and stabbed him to death.

The woman was arrested but released shortly after on bail. She is now considered a local hero.
    The late 'pastor' left behind a wife and kids.

Do you think what she did was right? Would you do the same in her situation? Do you think it's right to kill anyone even if it's in self defense?

Edit: I am of the opinion that she did this in an act of self defense. I would probably do same in her position.
    Just wanted to see other opinions
    I'd also be on her side if she burned him alive.

Rape is an unforgivable crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Perhaps its because people have a personal hierarchy of "wrongs"; a threatening act should only be met with by an act from a corresponding or lower hierarchy. And perhaps since the threat to being killed is possibly on the highest tier of the hierarchy, it is often hard for the victim to accept that he should act as such, even though it would be morally acceptable to do so.

In a 3-person situation like that of the 12-year old Guatemalan boy who chose death over killing another (innocent) person, such an act would easier to explain. Whether or not this could translate into a 2-person is a different thing altogether.

Or maybe, if one leaves all the legal definitions and theories aside, it is that the victim does not want to be the same monster which his killer is.
    I'm going to leave the top part because I disagree that all people's moral intuitions work on a hierarchical basis and I don't want to get into a big philosophical debate. I don't subscribe to your idea myself so I imagine other people also do not. You could equally say that everyone takes a utilitarian view and so killing a rapist/murderer would be the most moral thing to do - point being, morals are subjective.

I also don't consider that a victim who kills in self-defence is in any way similar to a murderer/rapist. The former is forced to act and with the aim of protecting themselves; the latter has an entirely different motive. I think anyone could see that the two are entirely distinguishable, although being a victim of such a crime may skew your mindset on it temporarily e.g. because of any guilt (although if it were me being attacked I wouldn't feel any guilt at all if I acted in self-defence - I just mean for those people who don't consider it justifiable to defend themselves if it results in the death of the attacker)

ReputationRep:
    Yes absolutely. If someone tried to rape me or someone I cared for I would kill them there and then without hesitation.

ReputationRep:
    If she needed to use so much force to stop his attack that she ended up killing him literally in an act of self defense, then that's fine. If however she got him off her, and in an act of rage went over to him and stabbed him several times, yes, that is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Nope.
    It wouldn't be in any way morally permissible, but (if she were in the UK) she could argue loss of control in order to mitigate her charge from one of murder to voluntary manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering why this isn't in the debate forum

ReputationRep:
    Id give her a medal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would have done the same in order to defend myself.

ReputationRep:
    Well the rapist was very infamous for regularly taking advantage of the female members of his church....
    oh that's OK then.

ReputationRep:
    If he's going around committing serial rape of course... He got what was coming to him.

ReputationRep:
    Even if she did kill him out of rage and not self-defence, in my eyes, thats justice. We all have our own conceptions of right and wrong, I believe his punishment should be death.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'd do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.