Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky777)
    Not instantly, but I am definitely considering this, as well as other changes such as avoiding cow milk. As far as economy an environment goes, we should really consider insects as a food source, takes less water, less land, etc but I guess I'm off-topic now lol.
    Lab grown meat could become mainstream withing 5 years, however in the mean time, plant based diets are the best (the lab grown meat will likely be bacteria based instead, so that's why I make that distinction).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Not remotely true.

For every 100g of Sainsbury's horridly farmed eggs you get 14.1g of protein at the cost of £0.155.

For every 100g of Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm you get 6.6g of protein at the cost of £0.401.

So to get the same amount of protein from tofu compared to that lousy quality Sainsbury's egg, you'll have to spend £0.857 - 5.52 times what you'd spend on those low-quality eggs.

I guess veganism is a rich person's cause.

I find it interesting that we so blithely put a price on cruelty..

It surely should not just be a matter of comparing the price of one with the other ( although I realise of course you were answering rock climbers point so not really aiming this at you as such) but rather comparing the price of one thing with another thing plus the cruelty involved.

What kind of world is it where people think it's ok to do something that increases cruelty just to save a bit of money ffs?

It's not ok.

I think all school children should be taught just how evil the food industry really is and at the very least no advertising should be allowed that in any way implies the animals were ****** well ' happy' at any point during the process.

Ideally all food packaging should carry photos of the animal being slaughtered!

I said ideally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    What kind of world is it where people think it's ok to do something that increases cruelty just to save a bit of money ffs?
    Yes, tell that to someone who relies on tax credits to make ends meet or is on benefits/jobseeker's allowance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, tell that to someone who relies on tax credits to make ends meet or is on benefits/jobseeker's allowance.
    Erm, frozen veg, onions, salt, garlic and spices, tinned or dried beans and lentils, rice, pasta, the occasional fajita rolls and of course tinned tomatoes. Those prime ingredients (you can get a variety of frozen veg) are all relatively cheap.
    Believe me, you can live off very little money wise if you're willing to cook a little.

Being vegan doesn't have to mean eating tofu, or fake meats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Erm, frozen veg, onions, salt, garlic and spices, tinned or dried beans and lentils, rice, pasta, the occasional fajita rolls and of course tinned tomatoes. Those prime ingredients (you can get a variety of frozen veg) are all relatively cheap.
    Believe me, you can live off very little money wise if you're willing to cook a little.

Being vegan doesn't have to mean eating tofu, or fake meats.
    And what makes you think that they aren't already cooking with those kinds of food? Wouldn't it be good to make their diets more diverse with the inclusion of very cheap eggs?

ReputationRep:
    Try replying to the content in the OP.
    The thread title is "Who likes eating eggs here?", so why are you jumping down the throats of people who answer the question?

ReputationRep:
    vegans are so annoying

ReputationRep:
    And what makes you think that they aren't already cooking with those kinds of food? Wouldn't it be good to make their diets more diverse with the inclusion of very cheap eggs?
    Wouldn't it be good to own slaves? Well done, you have gone full circle.
    And I never said people in low incomes weren't using those sorts of foods.

(Original post by StrangeBanana)
    The thread title is "Who likes eating eggs here?", so why are you jumping down the throats of people who answer the question?
    It would seem rather obvious, because they show no sign of replying to the OP. If posts could be reduced to their titles, we wouldn't have the posts. Not a hard concept to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    It would seem rather obvious, because they show no sign of replying to the OP. If posts could be reduced to their titles, we wouldn't have the posts. Not a hard concept to grasp.
    You do this on every thread where people's posts aren't 100% relevant to the entirety of the OP, do you? Yeah, didn't think so.

You can try to cast aspersions on my intelligence with this passive-aggressive crap but I'm not the one who thinks that humans and animals have the same rights, am I? You may think you're an intellectual, but in the real world we all know you'd be laughed at for these kinds of idiot views. Too bad. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Watch this documentary about eggs and chicks:

Very interesting. Has it put you off eggs? The meat and dairy industries are awful. Think about where your food really comes from. Go Vegan for the animals! :woo:
    Yes, I still love eggs, I'm eating one right now xD

ReputationRep:
    Its amazing just how many people like to mess in others affairs. Fine you dislike eggs and you are a vegan. That does not mean that the world should do what you do. You are not exactly the center of the universe, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    You do this on every thread where people's posts aren't 100% relevant to the entirety of the OP, do you? Yeah, didn't think so.

You can try to cast aspersions on my intelligence with this passive-aggressive crap but I'm not the one who thinks that humans and animals have the same rights, am I? You may think you're an intellectual, but in the real world we all know you'd be laughed at for these kinds of idiot views. Too bad. :yy:
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Now I feel bad [for you].

Firstly I will do the former at my own discretion. Just because I'm not obliged to do it on every thread, it doesn't stop me from doing on on threads where I have an interest.

But to then claim to have more intelligence than I gave you credit for, only to make a [false] straw-man argument...

You really are struggling to comprehend my posts. Please go back and try again. When you can engage with me without resorting to making up arguments and putting them in my mouth, then we might get somewhere. But I don't often respond to straw-man arguments, and have no intention of making an exception for the likes of you.

ReputationRep:
    How has this thread got 111 replies

ReputationRep:

Where exactly does it state that you must respond to the OP rather than the thread title which happens to pose a question? I'm pretty sure people are entitled to respond how they like (provided it is within reason), if someone enjoys having eggs for breakfast then ...let them be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be good to own slaves? Well done, you have gone full circle.
    And I never said people in low incomes weren't using those sorts of foods.
    Of course it is good to own slaves! They do work for you for free, freeing yourself of time and labour to pursue other things!

But it is wrong to own slaves.

The example you have given is a false equivalence. Some people are malnourished, and could do with a better diet which is more balanced, which usually means that they should have a wider diet. People who are less well off do not have the means to purchase expensive plant-based foods, and thus intensively-farmed eggs are their best source for such nutrients. Eggs are a necessity for them, not a luxury they could do without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBaggins)
    Its amazing just how many people like to mess in others affairs. Fine you dislike eggs and you are a vegan. That does not mean that the world should do what you do. You are not exactly the center of the universe, you know?
    To quote my 2nd favourite woman in the world, Margaret Thatcher: "They would rather the poor be poorer, provided that the rich be richer!"

ReputationRep:
    I don't often respond to straw-man arguments
    You just did, genius. Keep trolling, though, it's very subtle. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Where exactly does it state that you must respond to the OP rather than the thread title which happens to pose a question? I'm pretty sure people are entitled to respond how they like (provided it is within reason), if someone enjoys having eggs for breakfast then ...let them be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, where does that stop me from being entitled to call them on their ****?

And they are responding to the question out of context. The question has a very specific context.
    What you call 'within reason' clearly has no bearing on context.

Of course it is good to own slaves! They do work for you for free, freeing yourself of time and labour to pursue other things!

But it is wrong to own slaves.

The example you have given is a false equivalence. Some people are malnourished, and could do with a better diet which is more balanced, which usually means that they should have a wider diet. People who are less well off do not have the means to purchase expensive plant-based foods, and thus intensively-farmed eggs are their best source for such nutrients. Eggs are a necessity for them, not a luxury they could do without.
    You can get a wide and varied diet without buying expensive plant foods. And it is wrong to fund the egg industry.
    Next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Yes, I still love eggs, I'm eating one right now xD
    reported for trolling.

(Original post by _Charlotte15)
    How has this thread got 111 replies
    People are obviously very passionate about eating eggs! The savage male chick killing beasts! :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    You can get a wide and varied diet without buying expensive plant foods.
    And that I think is where we disagree.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.