Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    What do you mean us, you're probably Somalian.
    You're forgetting how Somalia was colonised and torn apart from each other by France, Italy and Britain so shut the hell up??? In fact there's a whole unit we're being taught called the scramble for Africa? Like is Britain even denying their attempt to control and enslave Africa as a whole?? Yes we were lynched, yes we were raped and killed in the masses but there is no way I am saying we were taken we were all enslaved but you bet as a black woman I'm going to defend us all like?? Read Warriors by Gearld Hanley tit's really good and you kinda need to be enlightened since you are really lacking basic historical knowledge like how sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?
    If I was called the N word by a random person I wouldn't care tbh.. Not saying its ok for the person to do it but I really wouldn't care about what the person thinks about me.. No stranger will have the power to make me feel upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rat poison)
    no **** that, I'm not going on a hunt for your post :curious:; be an adult and just articulate what you mean!
    It's literally five comment sup form the bottom of page 5... God damn it. Anyway I think she is Somalian but she said that we were insulated by whites...etc. So I'm saying that you can use that if your not a descendant of slavery. I also criticised her comment for being slightly hateful, trying to stir up negative emotions when I believed it was unnecessary and not relevant although that was nonsequential to my main statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    If I was called the N word by a random person I wouldn't care tbh.. Not saying its ok for the person to do it but I really wouldn't care about what the person thinks about me.. No stranger will have the power to make me feel upset.
    That's you. But I for once am bothered by the fact there are people out there who still think it's okay to use racist words like that. But yeah let's just brush off racism and let them get away with calling people whatever they want. Ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    You're forgetting how Somalia was colonised and torn apart from each other by France, Italy and Britain so shut the hell up??? In fact there's a whole unit we're being taught called the scramble for Africa? Like is Britain even denying their attempt to control and enslave Africa as a whole?? Yes we were lynched, yes we were raped and killed in the masses but there is no way I am saying we were taken we were all enslaved but you bet as a black woman I'm going to defend us all like?? Read Warriors by Gearld Hanley tit's really good and you kinda need to be enlightened since you are really lacking basic historical knowledge like how sad
    They weren't slaves though were they. So it's not we its them. Anyway it's not colonialism that's made Somalia into one of the worst countries in the world. it's the rampant Islamism,Political instability and horrible geographic placement. I'm criticising you because this is a thread on racism in day to day life but you take it as an opportunity to stir up hatred against white people which is equally bad. All that on top of it not even being your hardship makes me feel frustrated. Have you ever wrote a book on Arab slavery even though that's more relevant for you , I doubt you have.

ReputationRep:
    x
    ?? What a waste of time reading this. Every type of black person or dark skinned non-African person has suffered racism. You sound dumb.

ReputationRep:
    That's you. But I for once am bothered by the fact there are people out there who still think it's okay to use racist words like that. But yeah let's just brush off racism and let them get away with calling people whatever they want. Ok.
    Personally I believe that racism will never die out. There are people out there who kill, rape and steal and will continue to be for a very long time, what makes you think that racist people will cease to exist one day?
    And I'm not brushing off racism, if it was a situation where I knew the person who was being racist I would report it to the police but in this scenario it was a random person who just shouted out the window and drove away. You don't know who they are so you can't take further action. Do you think getting upset and starting a thread on TSR is bringing them to justice?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I believe that racism will never die out. There are people out there who kill, rape and steal and will continue to be for a very long time, what makes you think that racist people will cease to exist one day?
    And I'm not brushing off racism, if it was a situation where I knew the person who was being racist I would report it to the police but in this scenario it was a random person who just shouted out the window and drove away. You don't know who they are so you can't take further action. Do you think getting upset and starting a thread on TSR is bringing them to justice?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    So you weren't before? Weird.

ReputationRep:
    I never once said I believe racism will die out one day. Just because it's clear racism will never die out doesn't mean we should just brush racist things under the carpet and act like its no big deal.

So I'm not allowed to get upset and someone who called me a racist word? Lmao that's bloody ridiculous. Also am I not allowed to DISCUSS this situation with others to find out what they've dealt with while at university? Oh how dare I have a discussion on a forum. That's not what they're for!

ReputationRep:
    I

So you weren't before? Weird.
    What do you mean? I've always been bothered. I just noticed the typo, I didn't mean for once, I meant I for one.

ReputationRep:
    I

What do you mean? I've always been bothered. I just noticed the typo, I didn't mean for once, I meant I for one.
    ok.

ReputationRep:
    I never once said I believe racism will die out one day. Just because it's clear racism will never die out doesn't mean we should just brush racist things under the carpet and act like its no big deal.

So I'm not allowed to get upset and someone who called me a racist word? Lmao that's bloody ridiculous. Also am I not allowed to DISCUSS this situation with others to find out what they've dealt with while at university? Oh how dare I have a discussion on a forum. That's not what they're for!
    Idk if you believe in fate but I do. Perhaps you needed to experience this because perhaps before this night and devastating experience, you weren't as pragmatic as you should've been about these kinds of things. Now maybe someone with all the potential in the world can wake up and be more proactive about facing these subjects. That's how I always looked at it; we don't just experience things because it's another day; we're not roaming about like ghosts here.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldve dragged him out of car and beat him but thats me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They weren't slaves though were they. So it's not we its them. Anyway it's not colonialism that's made Somalia into one of the worst countries in the world. it's the rampant Islamism,Political instability and horrible geographic placement. I'm criticising you because this is a thread on racism in day to day life but you take it as an opportunity to stir up hatred against white people which is equally bad. All that on top of it not even being your hardship makes me feel frustrated. Have you ever wrote a book on Arab slavery even though that's more relevant for you , I doubt you have.
    Exactly what I said "there is no way I am saying we were taken we were all enslaved". Next time do some basic reading and Google searching instead of trying to find an opportunity to tell me how Islamaphobic you are lol pathetic don't @ me or quote me and have a happy life being you and I'll remain myself, a Muslim, a Somali, a black woman and unaffected xx

P.S "Opportunity to stir up hatred against white people"? When they stole resources, lands, lives through mass murder, lands, entire civilisations I can go on but ya know it I'm only stating the obvious, what the British historical text books I'm given for my subjects says lol

ReputationRep:
    All the time. Usually by chavs or people who are clearly ignorant delinquents.

That or prejudice from ethnic parents.

ReputationRep:

Dunno how you are coming to these conclusions tbh..
    Everything I've said so far is how I would handle the situation, you can handle it how you best see fit.
    Im not saying you're not allowed to be upset im saying that I wouldn't let a stranger make me upset.
    And I never said you weren't able to discuss it on here, I'm saying that making a thread on TSR is not going to bring the person to account because that is what you implied in a previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    Exactly what I said "there is no way I am saying we were taken we were all enslaved". Next time do some basic reading and Google searching instead of trying to find an opportunity to tell me how Islamaphobic you are lol pathetic don't @ me or quote me and have a happy life being you and I'll remain myself, a Muslim, a Somali, a black woman and unaffected xx

P.S "Opportunity to stir up hatred against white people"? When they stole resources, lands, lives through mass murder, lands, entire civilisations I can go on but ya know it I'm only stating the obvious, what the British historical text books I'm given for my subjects says lol
    You can't say that and expect me not to reply. I understand the criticism of the British empire and abhore what happened but that's life. The sins of the father are not the sins of the son and if you disagree and think white people are bad plain and simple then I think you're the one who's racist and maybe you should live in a country where you hate the majority of the population. Anyway since you keep telling me to read into things on the internet I think you should look into the Arab slave trade and see how that makes you feel being a Somalian.

ReputationRep:
    GTF OUT THE THREAD THEN. What is the point of your life?
    I agree that what I said was irelevent but what she said was irrelevant as well. I will so bye.

ReputationRep:
    Somalia vs Somali... I don't know. I didn't say that Arab slavery had anything to do with Islam stop jumping to conclusions. "So does what the west did to so many civilisations" you seems to think so from what you said. Why have the double standard. Racism is discriminating against someone based on the colour of their skin or their ethnic origins. Hating on white person because of something other white people have done is racism. "I think most white people are very racist" fair enough. "Crimes against humanity" I'd argue that we have amongst the least due to the fact that we invented human rights, if you mean internationally then yeah need to blame the administration. Races do not try to assert dominance, countries do and people do. White people cant help the fact that most of the worlds greatest inventions were made by them, there's no need to be intimidated. Personal gains... This is just mindless jingoism isn't it. Im sick of getting into these debate with people then realising mid way I'm arguing with an idiot. Your just a fifth column with an agenda which your willing to sacrifice all your values in order to win an argument. You are racist and you only care about your own.
    lol okay you lost me at the first sentence, if you don't respect my identity and who I am I don't respect your arguments like bye britanian

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.