Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate hottie)
    If there is one thing worse than Oxbridge condescension, it is the inverted snobbery of those who hate and despise it.
    So you admit you are just one rung from the bottom? (you being an Oxbridge condescender, at least based on your first posts)

For reasons that one can guess at, but would be too polite to even allude to.

It is the same with Eton, and of the attacks on Cameron (but not Boris) for having been sent there by his parents. Most of those who foam at the mouth at the very existence of Eton would have loved to have gone there and would give their right arms to send their sons.
    It's a bit spurious (and typical of you, very simplistic) to compare Eton with Oxbridge. To attend Eton, one must be extremely wealthy. To attend Oxbridge, one must be a good communicator, good at passing exams, and for the most part very bright.

These are not comparable educational institutions.

ReputationRep:
    The proposition I made was that Corby is too stupid to occupy the highest office in the land, and I pointed to his miserable educational attainment of two E's at A Level. There has been a lot of discussion about this, particularly the Oxbridge comment I made, and clearly it is more than legitimate to contest this.
    The thing is, within this thread, you haven't actually brought forward any reason to justify your position that Corbyn is stupid, other than his A-Level attainment and the fact that somebody else said he was stupid.

He has held no ministerial office
    Being awarded ministerial office is more a reflection of obedience and toeing the line than intelligence. We have decades and decades of proof of that.

he even got the leadership due to forces outside his control
    Care to explain? Given nobody had the "control" over how others vote in parliamentary nominations or party leadership elections, then this is quite a silly comment even by your standards. Everybody gets into political leadership due to forces outside their control.

By accident almost.
    He is genuinely popular within a segment of the population associated with the trade union movement and Labour party. So it isn't an accident that he won the leadership at all. The problem is, this cohort of support is quite fringe compared to the rest of the population. His election is more a reflection of the dysfunction of the Labour party, than any accident on his part.

Corbyn is going to sink into oblivion without ever getting ministerial office of any kind. I will bet any of you, any money you like that that is the case. PM me.

My proposition stands and no-one on this thread has refuted it.
    But this is actually the first time you making this claim on this thread.

Until now, your position has been a confused hash of misplaced elitism and mud-slinging, all of which has been refuted. It's not surprising nobody has refuted this new claim of yours because;
    -it's new
    -it's true

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned A Levels because everyone on TSR is either doing them or has fairly recently. It has meaning for all on this website, it resonates viscerally.
    No you didn't. You did it because you thought it was a good thing to focus a smear on. Oh how you didn't realise it would backfire.

As for his accomplishments he hasn't any! I was watching the tribute to Denis Healey recently and during the Deputy Leadership Election in the early eighties there was Corbyn, lurking in the background, with Livingstone and Tony. But he was never heard of at the time because he was totally overshadowed by real political heavyweights like Thatcher, Lawson, Jenkins, Foot, Healey and Benn themselves.
    You just don't stop digging do you.

Thatcher, Lawson, Jekins, Healy Foot, and Benn were all many decades senior to Jeremy Corbyn, so it is hardly surprising that they (at the height of their career) had visibility over Corbyn (who was at the start of his political career). You don't seem to understand politics much do you?

ReputationRep:
    It is the same in the US. Look how many Presidents went to Harvard or Yale.
    Doesn't make it right. Can you tell me which fallacy you just performed?

The brightest and the best are obviously attracted to the elite universities . Why is that a problem?
    Because not all go to elite universities, so it would be ludicrous to write somebody like Nigel Farage off solely for not having been to any university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    No you didn't. You did it because you thought it was a good thing to focus a smear on. Oh how you didn't realise it would backfire.

You just don't stop digging do you.

Thatcher, Lawson, Jekins, Healy Foot, and Benn were all many decades senior to Jeremy Corbyn, so it is hardly surprising that they (at the height of their career) had visibility over Corbyn (who was at the start of his political career). You don't seem to understand politics much do you?
    Ha ha ha!

You really have an obsession with me don't you? Post after post after post. A Tsunami of piffle.

Argumentum ad infinitum.

I can't guarantee that I will address all your earlier points because there are so many and it will take too long. It will depend if I can be bothered and if I get the time.

On the point above, since we are here, Corbyn has done nothing for more than thirty years except sit on the backbenches, and give the same speech time after time after time. A bit like you.

All the others changed the country in ways large or small (even Benn was a Cabinet Minister albeit not a very good one) Corbyn won't.

Two questions before I go.

I have already remarked that the amount of time you spend on my posts is obsessive. As a medical man yourself () have you thought of consulting a fellow practitioner? There is no shame you know, you can't start to get better till you admit to yourself that you have a problem. I say this as someone who really cares and has your best interests at heart.

Second, you have written thousands of words, and yet avoided the big issue. The elephant in the room.

Why do you think people who got worse A Level grades than you are "trash?"

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make it right. Can you tell me which fallacy you just performed?
    None.
    Because not all go to elite universities, so it would be ludicrous to write somebody like Nigel Farage off solely for not having been to any university.
    What like calling them trash, maybe? Is that "writing them off?"

Why do you think of other human beings in terms of ordure?

ReputationRep:
    This will get the Labour vote piling in!

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/sta...15492866940928

ReputationRep:
    This will get the Labour vote piling in!

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/sta...15492866940928
    Yes, how dare he celebrate the release of a british citizen who has been held for 14 years without a trial because Guantánamo operates through a legal loophole that has been internationally condemned.

Only some a british hating leftie could celebr- oh wait David Cameron was one of the people that campaigned for his release.

ReputationRep:
    So you admit you are just one rung from the bottom? (you being an Oxbridge condescender, at least based on your first posts)
    It was a figure of speech. Get a grip, mate.

It's a bit spurious (and typical of you, very simplistic) to compare Eton with Oxbridge. To attend Eton, one must be extremely wealthy. To attend Oxbridge, one must be a good communicator, good at passing exams, and for the most part very bright.

These are not comparable educational institutions.
    This statement is simply wrong. Simplistic actually (typical of you! ) .

There are scholarships for poor students at Eton, you don't have to be extremely wealthy to attend.

The Entrance Requirements for Oppidans are famously robust also. Much to the annoyance of many wealthy parents whose children fail to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Yes, how dare he celebrate the release of a british citizen who has been held for 14 years without a trial because Guantánamo operates through a legal loophole that has been internationally condemned.

Only some a british hating leftie could celebr- oh wait David Cameron was one of the people that campaigned for his release.
    He is a Saudi citizen.

It was politically naive. If you think supporting (perhaps ex) Jihadis will go down well with those outside his core support you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Wait till this terrorist (sorry charity worker ) gets his huge compensation payout and see how that affects public opinion, especially potential Labour voters.

Oh and wait till the Tory press gets to work! The narrative is that he is soft on terror, supports Hamas and Hezbollah and is weak on defence by opposing Trident.

What you don't in the face of that narrative is let your team send tweets like that. That would be stupid, oh wait, isn't that my entire thesis!

ReputationRep:
    We all know that Jezza scraped two E's in his A Levels and could only get into a Poly, but did you know that his support team is almost exclusively red brick, not Oxbridge?

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/l...intellectuals/

Has Corbyn dumbed down the Labour Party in this (and other) ways?

With all out problems, can Britain really risk electing a leader too stupid to even get into university with a Shadow Cabinet composed of graduates of second tier universities?
    yes, everyone who didnt go to Oxbridge is stupid. brb retaking my A levels

ReputationRep:
    george osborne didnt even pass maths. The less oxbridge ***** the better imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    yes, everyone who didnt go to Oxbridge is stupid. brb retaking my A levels
    I didn't say that actually.

Good luck with the retakes though. All the best and take care.

ReputationRep:
    No, I want politics to be about issues and values, not personalities and mannerisms. In fact this fixation of the personalities and mannerisms (which mud-slingers like yourself constantly stoop to) is highly damaging to the functioning of the political systems, since it drowns out the discussion of real issues that matter to the country, as well as turn people off politics entirely.

Wanting to see a fair fight is merely about having a logical, issues based and fair discussion, and giving each candidate the platform to be judged on the merits of their issues and values. This isn't naive, it's just grown up.

Yeah I just looked out of the window and saw a pig flying past.

If you seriously think politics will ever be like that (and I'll take you at your word) you are nothing but a naive fool.

You haven't answered my earlier point though. That makes a change.

Ceteris paribus, suppose the wrong issues and values won power after this fantasy "fair fight"?

You yourself admit that Corbyn would "severely damage" the country if he became Prime Minister . It is about the only thing we actually agree on so it is ironic it is the most important one.

Yet you seem not to care about that, you don't mind if the country is severely damaged, it is more important that the issues and values are raised and then let the cards fall how they may.

That is idiotic.

Why?

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha ha!

You really have an obsession with me don't you? Post after post after post. A Tsunami of piffle.

Argumentum ad infinitum.
    Wow, somebody is paranoid or narcissistic. No dear, you can cast your delusions aside, I (nor nobody else on this forum) on this forum is obsessed with you. You aren't that special not matter what you may think.

I can't guarantee that I will address all your earlier points
    Don't worry, it's not the end of the world if you run away. But your case would be stronger if you just accepted defeat and ran away, rather than just selectively respond. Just some advice.

because there are so many and it will take too long.
    There are so many because your arguments are so riddled with errors. You could reduce the number of my responses if you actually wrote consistently, logically and stuck to facts. You get into trouble when you start making stuff up.

It will depend if I can be bothered and if I get the time.
    Don't worry, as I said, running away is fine dear.

On the point above, since we are here, Corbyn has done nothing for more than thirty years except sit on the backbenches, and give the same speech time after time after time. A bit like you.
    I don't know what Corbyn has done. He's always been on the fringe of the Parliamentary Labour Party, so his career on the backbenches is very understandable to anybody with a cursory knowledge of politics.

He's certainly protested a lot about things. How much of an impact that has had is questionable, since the impact of protesting is quite nebulous and indirect. I doubt it is nothing though.

All the others changed the country in ways large or small (even Benn was a Cabinet Minister albeit not a very good one) Corbyn won't.
    He might destroy the Labour Party which would change the country is a huge way.

Two questions before I go.

I have already remarked that the amount of time you spend on my posts is obsessive. As a medical man yourself () have you thought of consulting a fellow practitioner? There is no shame you know, you can't start to get better till you admit to yourself that you have a problem. I say this as someone who really cares and has your best interests at heart.
    Oh, is this your usual deflection from having your posts roasted?

You keep on complaining that somebody takes the time to point out the errors in your posts and general position in things. That's a sure sign of both desperation and insecurity.

Second, you have written thousands of words, and yet avoided the big issue. The elephant in the room.

Why do you think people who got worse A Level grades than you are "trash?"
    If you actually engaged in the points I responded to you about this (and had to cut and paste to you following failure to engage the first time), you would actually understand.

In the context of a medical degree, with the defined career path it entails, then one of the key and fundamental skills are memory and recall (there are of course other skills, but memory and recall are crucial). If somebody lacks the memory and recall skill learn the relatively small curriculum content to get grade A at 3 or 4 A Levels, then they are not going to cope in either a medical school setting or life as a doctor (UK based exams primarily assess memory and recall, not a huge amount else). So yes, you are a trash candidate for medical school if you cannot achieve these grades. And if you go to study Medicine at one of these trashy English medium medical schools in Eastern Europe (where you pay to enter, and they don't train you to be a doctor), then yes you will also be a trash doctor if/when you return to the UK.

This position, of ensuring that only people of the certain aptitude gain access to very technical vocational training and become future doctors, is not something people are going to contest. It is not remotely comparable to the career paths of political leaders, who can acquire the skills to do so from a wide variety of experience in life, mainly because the role of a political leader is managerial rather than technical.

I assume you will continue to fail to understand that.

ReputationRep:
    None.
    Your basically said "other people are doing it, so it must be right".

What like calling them trash, maybe? Is that "writing them off?"

Why do you think of other human beings in terms of ordure?
    As post above

ReputationRep:
    @ Rat bag

Do you STILL think people with lower A Levels than you are trash, or do you now renounce that repugnant opinion?

Yes or no? Why can't you answer? The thread is waiting for you reply after three refusals to address it.

ReputationRep:
    It was a figure of speech. Get a grip, mate.
    You implied your own position (being an Oxbridge condescender) was a bad thing

It isn't a figure of speech to use it the way you did; compare your own position to something worse. It is used to pitch somebody else's position (which you perceive as negative) against something really bad to make a point about that person's position.

How can people be expected to trust what you write when you persistently lie, use expressions incorrectly, or use figures of speech out of context to how to they are used?

being an Oxbridge condescender
    This statement is simply wrong. Simplistic actually (typical of you! ) .

There are scholarships for poor students at Eton, you don't have to be extremely wealthy to attend. [/quote]

I had a feeling you would respond with the claim that the handful of bursaries Eton offer means it is a school open to the poor.

The figures are tiny to the point that they are irrelevant. Eton is a business, not a charity (in spite of it's charitable status)

The Entrance Requirements for Oppidans are famously robust also. Much to the annoyance of many wealthy parents whose children fail to get in.
    I didn't say that Eton wasn't selective. I said being wealthy was a pre-requisite to attending for the vast vast majority of pupils. The same isn't true of Oxbridge (though more indirect barriers exist making it less likely for poorer pupils to gain access)

Anyway, keep up the deflection if it makes you feel better about yourself. It won't change the fact that all your posts are getting refuted

ReputationRep:
    He is a Saudi citizen.

It was politically naive. If you think supporting (perhaps ex) Jihadis will go down well with those outside his core support you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Wait till this terrorist (sorry charity worker ) gets his huge compensation payout and see how that affects public opinion, especially potential Labour voters.

Oh and wait till the Tory press gets to work! The narrative is that he is soft on terror, supports Hamas and Hezbollah and is weak on defence by opposing Trident.

What you don't in the face of that narrative is let your team send tweets like that. That would be stupid, oh wait, isn't that my entire thesis!
    David Cameron supported his release.

Let him face trial so we can determine what crimes he has committed.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron supported his release.

Let him face trial so we can determine what crimes he has committed.
    Yes he did. You don't see him authorising tweets rejoicing in it though.

No I have a better idea than putting him on trial. Let's bung him a million or so of taxpayer's money in compensation.

Hope you are going to provide an answer to my question before. The thread is waiting ratbag.

Why did you call those with low A Level grades trash? And will you now apologise?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.