Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloakedSpartan)
    I imagine you support the RSPCA.

As in, the RSPCA that makes logical statements that completely disagree with extreme veganism.

Don't inflate your arguments.

Eating meat is not the same as murder.
    Eating meat is not bad for the planet, and is not unhealthy.
    It isn't unnatural, and it isn't cruel.

You know who else killed people who didn't live the same way he did? Hitler.

There are ways of raising cattle that are carbon neutral, and there are ways of humane killing that even the RSPCA agrees with.

And at the end of the day, there is also a race for survival that humans must also participate in. What happens when these species become overpopulated and start causing issues? You would have us leave them and start to result in the deaths of many people - or let them starve to death or kill them ourselves, in which case your extreme veganism is pointless?

By the way, I'm not saying you quote slice your definitions which is a form of fallacy, but the actual definition is

destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.
    Not really. RSPCA have meat eaters working there. They're just as hypocritical as meat-eating vets. I support PETA because they're more principled than RSPCA people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Not really. RSPCA have meat eaters working there. They're just as hypocritical as meat-eating vets. I support PETA because they're more principled than RSPCA people.
    You didn't read what I said, did you?

Care to go back and actually read it and respond to me properly?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Attachment 471461

The definition of Holocaust is: "The destruction and slaughter on a mass scale". Whether it is human or animal, it is the same, by definition. This doesn't make me anti-semitic. You are clutching at straws Odd Socks.
    The holocaust was the mass murder of Jews, gypsies and disabled people. By comparing it to the normal procedure of all life you're belitting it, which would be anti-semetic.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: PETA are terrible! they euthanise most of the animals they 'save' as well as most of their marketing gimmicks being based on misogyny

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I'm not clutching at anything. While the word may be defined as that in a dictionary, realistically it's intrinsically tied to the torture and murder of Jewish people, don't try and pretend otherwise. You should maybe think before you say some things as you've managed to be very offensive in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are being speciesist. As I mentioned earlier, for me non-human and human life matter the same. I'm sorry if you find that offensive, but that is my belief.

ReputationRep:
    You are being speciesist. As I mentioned earlier, for me non-human and human life matter the same. I'm sorry if you find that offensive, but that is my belief.
    sorry I can't help but laugh at 'speciesist' :lol: you have no respect for atrocities faced by minorities and it's completely insulting to compare their lives and experiences to those of animals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with the mass euthanisation of animals by PETA? E.G. them literally kidnapping pets from front porches and euthanising them.

Of course, you're all about pro-life of animals, right? Hypocrite.

Although I'm fairly sure this guy is a troll at this point. You can't be this far gone, surely...

ReputationRep:
    Eating animals is not a natural part of our diet. It is an optional part of our diet. We can live perfectly healthy lives without it. Also do you ever think about the animal that has died? Did you think about what its' life would have been like if you hadn't deprived it from living? It might have been roaming on a mountain path, eating grass in a forest, enjoying the sound of the river moving past or the rain falling on it's hide. Animals have feelings just like you and me and animals know when they are about to be slaughtered. Just because you treat it better, it doesn't take away from the fact that it will diet the same painful, horrific death as animals that are raised in poorer conditions. Death is death for an animal. You didn't give it an option. You murdered it so you could eat it. Non-human animal murder is just as bad as human animal murder. This is especially true since we are not lions or polar bears. We are intelligent animals with the know how and ability to live off a plant based diet should we choose to do so. There is no justification or need to eat meat in this day and age.
    You're forgetting that those cows (for example) are bred for a reason. Do you really think they are bred just so that they make the fields look all scenic?? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Further reading for you and the other hypocrite extreme vegans bud:

https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

ReputationRep:
    You didn't read what I said, did you?

Care to go back and actually read it and respond to me properly?
    Ok I read it and I don't agree that there is such a thing as humane killing. An animal dies at the end of the process. That is the bottom line. You took another living things' life so you could eat meat. How is that humane? You didn't even ask the animal for it's permission.

Also as I said earlier, I don't agree with the RSPCA, so their definition of humane isn't one I share.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    The holocaust was the mass murder of Jews, gypsies and disabled people. By comparing it to the normal procedure of all life you're belitting it, which would be anti-semetic.
    You are wrong. Holocaust is by definition: "The destruction and slaughter on a mass scale"

You are picking one example of it. The human holocaust of the jews was a holocaust, and the killing of 160 million animals on a daily basis is an even bigger holocaust. You are in denial and are burying your head in the sand because you are trying to distance your personal eating habits from what was done to the Jews because it makes you feel bad rather than getting to the route of the matter, which is that killing animals is as bad as killing humans. They're both wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I read it and I don't agree that there is such a thing as humane killing. An animal dies at the end of the process. That is the bottom line. You took another living things' life so you could eat meat. How is that humane? You didn't even ask the animal for it's permission.

Don't worry bud, seeing as you support PETA and the right for an animal to choose if it should die or not, you'll love this video (it's 40 seconds too, so you don't have any reason to not watch it! it has puppies!):

97.3% of animals under PETA's care have been killed in one year.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry bud, seeing as you support PETA and the right for an animal to choose if it should die or not, you'll love this video (it's 40 seconds too, so you don't have any reason to not watch it! it has puppies!):

97.3% of animals under PETA's care have been killed in one year.
    I do not agree with euthanasia. I will do some research into it and if I find out that they support it, I will no longer support them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To the other person who called me a hypocrite because of this, I don't believe I am a hypocrite because I would never knowingly support animal torture or murder. I am a principled person and that is why I'm going to go away and do more research into this Euthanasia claim.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    that killing animals is as bad as killing humans. They're both wrong.
    In your opinion, but let's be quite clear: we are omnivores, animals are a part of our diet. Hard to moralise about that.

But, let's leave eating out of it - how many animals are unhomed and ultimately killed due to mans need for lumber and building materials? Just by living you're killing millions of animals every single day, the only way to avoid it is to live as ancient men did, off the grid, as scavenger-hunters who... ate meat. Oh ****

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, but let's be quite clear: we are omnivores, animals are a part of our diet. Hard to moralise about that.

But, let's leave eating out of it - how many animals are unhomed and ultimately killed due to mans need for lumber and building materials? Just by living you're killing millions of animals every single day, the only way to avoid it is to live as ancient men did, off the grid, as scavenger-hunters who... ate meat. Oh ****
    Some of us are omnivores. I certainly am not. I am a herbivore. Historically we were omnivores yes, but in this day and age we have a choice whether to be omnivore or a herbivore. We are smart enough to decide for ourselves what we want to eat. The point of this thread was to get you thinking about whether eating meat is humane and necessary. I want you guys to ask yourself "why am I eating something that was murdered and tortured when I could live off plants just fine".

ReputationRep:

if all animals are equal I hope OP allows insects and small mammals to have free run of his home, killing them would be immoral

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To the other person who called me a hypocrite because of this, I don't believe I am a hypocrite because I would never knowingly support animal torture or murder. I am a principled person and that is why I'm going to go away and do more research into this Euthanasia claim.
    Claim? They've even stated themselves they support euthanasia, lmao, with some backing up which is about 50% okay (e.g. if the animal is in great suffering), 50% completely ridiculous and taken apart at https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Bit more further reading for you my hypocrite buddy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dougla...b_6156196.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan...b_2979220.html

"In 2005, PETA employees killed numerous healthy dogs and cats in the back of their van, and deposited the bodies in a dumpster behind a mall. They were charged with"21 felony counts each of animal cruelty," but were convicted only of "littering."The littering conviction was later overturned. PETA has very good lawyers. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    You're forgetting that those cows (for example) are bred for a reason. Do you really think they are bred just so that they make the fields look all scenic?? :rofl:
    Yes cows are bred for meat. But my question to you is: Is this right? In this day and age when we can live a completely healthy life on a plant based diet is it morally acceptable to raise an animal just so we can torture and kill it just so we can eat it? I believe it isn't right. Maybe you think it is acceptable, and that's why i'm here to try to change your views on this subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yes cows are bred for meat. But my question to you is: Is this right? In this day and age when we can live a completely healthy life on a plant based diet is it morally acceptable to raise an animal just so we can torture and kill it just so we can eat it? I believe it isn't right. Maybe you think it is acceptable, and that's why i'm here to try to change your views on this subject.
    Of course it's right. Supply and demand.

The animals get killed quickly don't they?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Some of us are omnivores. I certainly am not. I am a herbivore. Historically we were omnivores yes, but in this day and age we have a choice whether to be omnivore or a herbivore. We are smart enough to decide for ourselves what we want to eat. The point of this thread was to get you thinking about whether eating meat is humane and necessary. I want you guys to ask yourself "why am I eating something that was murdered and tortured when I could live off plants just fine".
    No, all of us are omnivores, because we can digest and obtain nutrients from meat.

Because it's going to die anyway. There is no way to avoid having animals die for your life, so you might as well make use of all of it.

ReputationRep:
    torture
    I'd like to focus on this. With humane killing, where the animals are stunned and rendered unconscious and have no, and with small exceptions, minimal suffering, is this equivalent to torture?

I know that the torture of animals in some slaughterhouses is despicable and I do not support it. However, you are putting a pretty big label over an entire industry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.