The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euan1603
Thank You for the advice! I'm from the highlands, are you from Glasgow or near that area?

Yeah I'm from Glasgow.
I took a practice section for the QR today. I could only manage 20 questions within the given time frame. I did the rest of the questions untimed and got a 630 (not sure if that is good)
My concepts are not lacking, but time is a big issue. And the calculator is so damn annoying. I try to use it minimally.
I get that practice will help me overcome it, but how exactly should I practice? Should I just do the questions/sections or what?
Original post by cookiemonster15
I'm guessing he means they are going to finish on the 24th

He probably means 24th May as that's when I finished also.
How do you prepare for this? Like what courses are suitable and where can I get good study material that will be enough to take the test? For 2017 entry into medical school.
There are textbooks available, but mostly I would hunt around for someone who has recently (successfully) taken one. I'm sure some students would be happy to earn a little extra beer money to coach you.

Or else there are intensive (expensive) courses available too.
Original post by offhegoes
There are textbooks available, but mostly I would hunt around for someone who has recently (successfully) taken one. I'm sure some students would be happy to earn a little extra beer money to coach you.

Or else there are intensive (expensive) courses available too.

Thanks.
But I'm just not sure who to ask, and I've seen loads of courses and don't know which one is the best.
Original post by clairebear101
how can they have finished on the 24Th? it's only the 2nd?

Hahaha sorry I meant the 24th of MAY not June :smile:
Hi I'm a Scottish applicant ! I find a bit weird that you apply before you get your grades lol and I'm currently registering for the test - so many questions omg lol. Also I've done work experience at a school for disabled children does that count as healthcare work experience?
Original post by Nuba123
Hi I'm a Scottish applicant ! I find a bit weird that you apply before you get your grades lol and I'm currently registering for the test - so many questions omg lol. Also I've done work experience at a school for disabled children does that count as healthcare work experience?

Hey, also a Scottish applicant. Fire your questions at me I'll try answer but not promising anything 😁 How did you find then exams and what subjects did u do?
Original post by Euan1603
Hey, also a Scottish applicant. Fire your questions at me I'll try answer but not promising anything 😁 How did you find then exams and what subjects did u do?

lol thanks :smile:

Exams were ok I mean i tried my best i got 5 A's in the prelims so hoping for the same and I studied maths, english, human biology, chemistry and modern studies - wby? I'm not sure whether I have enough medical-related work experience like i did a high school placement at a disabled school and I'm going to start work at a shop once the summer holidays begin but I'm not sure whether it's enough. I've booked my UKCAT test for the 2nd of August and now I'm just trying to look for some good books to help - any recommendations? In 6th year I'm doing 3 advanced highers (biology,chemistry and maths) and I'm crashing higher rmps. So that should be fun lol. I'm planning on applying to Edinburgh, Dundee and Glasgow for medicine and I'm not sure about my 4th option.
Original post by Nuba123
lol thanks :smile:

Exams were ok I mean i tried my best i got 5 A's in the prelims so hoping for the same and I studied maths, english, human biology, chemistry and modern studies - wby? I'm not sure whether I have enough medical-related work experience like i did a high school placement at a disabled school and I'm going to start work at a shop once the summer holidays begin but I'm not sure whether it's enough. I've booked my UKCAT test for the 2nd of August and now I'm just trying to look for some good books to help - any recommendations? In 6th year I'm doing 3 advanced highers (biology,chemistry and maths) and I'm crashing higher rmps. So that should be fun lol. I'm planning on applying to Edinburgh, Dundee and Glasgow for medicine and I'm not sure about my 4th option.

Yeh same for me think they went okay. I did English, Maths, physics, chemistry and human bio. Got my UKCAT for 28th July so pretty close to u. I am using the 1000 question book atm. Finding it pretty useful. I'm doing same AH as u but no additional higher. I'm going to apply to those aswell plus St. Andrews. Not to fussed for Aberdeen. I don't really like the city plus it's hella expensive. I've got a weekt of work experience coming up so that should be interesting. Right now I'm unsure about what I want to apply to between med and dent probs about 75% med atm. Hoping to decide after that week of work experience.
Hey, I'm from england, thinking about applying to Edinburgh for medicine too :smile: Although it's extremely competitive and I'm not sure whether it's worth a shot! I'm doing the ukcat at the end of July but starting to panic about preparation for it cos it's in under two months and i've still yet to finish my exams :/ Also I'm not sure what the best way to prepare for the sj section really is, does anyone have any advice regarding it?
Original post by dakshsaksena
I took a practice section for the QR today. I could only manage 20 questions within the given time frame. I did the rest of the questions untimed and got a 630 (not sure if that is good)
My concepts are not lacking, but time is a big issue. And the calculator is so damn annoying. I try to use it minimally.
I get that practice will help me overcome it, but how exactly should I practice? Should I just do the questions/sections or what?

The overall average UKCAT score in 2015 was 633 per section however the mean average scores of each section are:
577, verbal reasoning
685, quantitative reasoning
640, abstract reasoning
629, decision analysis

source: http://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/what-is-ukcat-faqs

I think you should familiarise yourself with each section by doing at least 20 questions without restricting yourself to time just yet. Then do the questions as in a mock format. The UKCAT website has a few practice papers to try.

It's all about learning to focus on the essentials and gaining speed through practice. It's good that you are nearly at the average mark without doing any preparation. Try to do some practice untimed first and then do it timed. There's a lot of material out there, but most people advise using the ISC UKCAT book, which was updated this year from 600 to 1000 questions :https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465199048&sr=8-1&keywords=ukcat. It's slightly challenging but it is good to learn techniques and, after that, the exam will be a doddle.
Original post by Dakterite
Does anyone know where i could get the new UKCAT book with practice questions? It says that the release date is in May but I heard some people got the books already

It came out in May. You can buy it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465199048&sr=8-1&keywords=ukcat
Original post by alisa728727
Thanks.
But I'm just not sure who to ask, and I've seen loads of courses and don't know which one is the best.

I don't think courses offer good value. For a start they claim to sell you the techniques but they offer nothing you can't find in a book for 10 times cheaper and there are some sections like AR where you actually have to find your own way of thinking.

All in all, you really need to practise a lot and books and/or online questions are the best way of doing that.
Thanks a lot guys!
Im taking the UKCAT this year, 2016, and ive heard about the the Decision making turning to the decision analysis section, and how it wont be marked.
So should I just practice for the other 4 sections (VR,QR,AR,SJT) and not DM/DA?

Thanks

Yeah, don't bother revising for the Decision Making section. It's only a pilot so that they can use your score to set the benchmark for next year's candidates. Use your revision time for the other sections which actually count.
[QUOTE=Ienjoylife;65489025]I don't think courses offer good value. For a start they claim to sell you the techniques but they offer nothing you can't find in a book for 10 times cheaper and there are some sections like AR where you actually have to find your own way of thinking.

All in all, you really need to practise a lot and books and/or online questions are the best way of doing that.

Thank you, I do have a course book with questions in that. Have you ever tried one of their courses??
I am not sure who you mean by 'their'. Many people who run course also have books and the courses tend to repeat what is in the book. In my humble opinion, going to a course for UKCAT is pointless because most of the technique you need to acquire is efficient use of time and you can only do that either by learning a few tricks (which you will find in books) or by sheer practice (in which case books or online resources) are the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending