Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Prospects for young people 'have worsened' says report watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Apart from the fact the LDs have lost almost all their MPs.
    Your point has nothing to do with what I said.

My point was that when young people do vote for something they just get ignored. The problem isn't young people not voting, it is that when they do it means nothing anyway.

The Lib Dems loosing their MP's this election has absolutely nothing to do with the last government. That you think it does speaks volumes. Timeline;

1) Young people vote Lib Dem.
    2) Lib Dems get into government, a landmark achievement, off of this support.
    3) Lib Dems break the promise made, they don't just abstain from voting against their key election pledge they actively vote to break it.
    4) Young people complain that their vote was clearly worth nothing.
    5) Maker believes that when the Lib Dems loose their MP's at the end of it it somehow makes up for the fact that the Lib Dems broke their election pledge.

Maybe it is just the Lib Dems you say who break their promises once they get into government. Why not vote for a party that won't break its promises? Let us see if the Tories also break their promises then. We can see if the problem is people not voting or of the problem is people who once they vote their vote becomes meaningless, the policies they voted for not important.

1) The Tories promised to get rid of the deficit. A key election pledge. They have utterly failed in this area and they have had plenty of extra time to meet it.
    Key promise broken.
    2) The Tories promised to get immigration down to the tens of thousands. It is at record levels now, around 400,000-500,000 a year net. That doesn't even include illegal immigration, very likely due to the Calais crisis.
    So major promise broken.
    3) Housing-they aren't even building enough for the existing population, let alone for the new immigrants. Help to buy and other policies have only made the situation even worse.
    Starter homes? Where? Key promise broken.
    4) No top down re-organisation of the NHS. An important part of the country, the NHS. Promise broken.
    5)Tax credits; you guessed it, welfare is a key area but still the promise is broken.

The problem is broken promises. These are in key areas, not small ones.

I know your response will be; you vote/your friends vote/your parents vote/voting can solve every problem in the world from the housing crisis to Ebola anyway though. Like I said before, a broken and rather simple record. I mean you think the result of this election has anything to do with the broken promises, the biggest issue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Your point has nothing to do with what I said.

My point was that when young people do vote for something they just get ignored. The problem isn't young people not voting, it is that when they do it means nothing anyway.

The Lib Dems loosing their MP's this election has absolutely nothing to do with the last government. That you think it does speaks volumes. Timeline;

1) Young people vote Lib Dem.
    2) Lib Dems get into government, a landmark achievement, off of this support.
    3) Lib Dems break the promise made, they don't just abstain from voting against their key election pledge they actively vote to break it.
    4) Young people complain that their vote was clearly worth nothing.
    5) Maker believes that when the Lib Dems loose their MP's at the end of it it somehow makes up for the fact that the Lib Dems broke their election pledge.

Maybe it is just the Lib Dems you say who break their promises once they get into government. Why not vote for a party that won't break its promises? Let us see if the Tories also break their promises then. We can see if the problem is people not voting or of the problem is people who once they vote their vote becomes meaningless, the policies they voted for not important.

1) The Tories promised to get rid of the deficit. A key election pledge. They have utterly failed in this area and they have had plenty of extra time to meet it.
    Key promise broken.
    2) The Tories promised to get immigration down to the tens of thousands. It is at record levels now, around 400,000-500,000 a year net. That doesn't even include illegal immigration, very likely due to the Calais crisis.
    So major promise broken.
    3) Housing-they aren't even building enough for the existing population, let alone for the new immigrants. Help to buy and other policies have only made the situation even worse.
    Starter homes? Where? Key promise broken.
    4) No top down re-organisation of the NHS. An important part of the country, the NHS. Promise broken.
    5)Tax credits; you guessed it, welfare is a key area but still the promise is broken.

The problem is broken promises. These are in key areas, not small ones.

I know your response will be; you vote/your friends vote/your parents vote/voting can solve every problem in the world from the housing crisis to Ebola anyway though. Like I said before, a broken and rather simple record. I mean you think the result of this election has anything to do with the broken promises, the biggest issue...
    The only reason older people get the most benefits like pensions increasing at a higher rate than all other benefits is they vote in much greater numbers than the young.

But at my age, I should really support older people and not youngsters to get a bigger slice of the cake. Although my kids will be going onto higher education in a few years and trying to get jobs and housing so if this generation of 18-25 can't be arsed to get off their arse, I hope the ones that will be that age in the next few years will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Prospects for young people 'have worsened' says report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34674276

Young people are facing problems in key areas such as housing, jobs, access to education (in particular university and college fees).

Don't worry though, MP's are talking about whether people can get the services they need as I type this;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34666386

Shame the concern is just about people who have no connection to the UK whatsoever.

I'm so glad I'm 22. There are many much younger than me who will have to get a mini-mortgage to get a degree and get what looks like a mortgage for a five bed but only to buy a flat.
    All of this will be paid off whilst paying sky high rents, or more acurately paying off the mortgage of someone wealthy enough to have already have a home and rent out a second.
    It depends what background you are from, I would probably say most of these measures hit people who are from notably poorer backgrounds the rich can afford to pay tuition fees for their children and purchase them an house the people in the middle it hits aswell as the prices of housing is extortionate and unaffordable. Now there are some measures we can go for Including
    1. Stop immigration all together - The BNP approach
    2. Come out of EU and stop unskilled migration
    I was reading the other day a BBC article which says this year there was more people migrated in to the UK then natural growth in the population.
    Solutions to the housing crisis could be to
    A Build more houses
    B have a mass exodus of immigrants

The problem we have is help to buy isn't really help it just means that you pay less deposit down and have a larger mortgage to pay meaning it will take longer. New housing needs building and the price should be cheaper then current prices but still vary from area to area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The only reason older people get the most benefits like pensions increasing at a higher rate than all other benefits is they vote in much greater numbers than the young.

But at my age, I should really support older people and not youngsters to get a bigger slice of the cake. Although my kids will be going onto higher education in a few years and trying to get jobs and housing so if this generation of 18-25 can't be arsed to get off their arse, I hope the ones that will be that age in the next few years will.
    You still babbling on about voting making a difference? Damn you are one stuck record. What is worrying is that nothing will make you change your mind as everyone has given you all the proof you need to say otherwise, but you won't. What planet do you live on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    You still babbling on about voting making a difference? Damn you are one stuck record. What is worrying is that nothing will make you change your mind as everyone has given you all the proof you need to say otherwise, but you won't. What planet do you live on?
    What proof, the only proof that is relevant is if young people actually did vote in large numbers and nothing happened but they never did so where is your proof?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What proof, the only proof that is relevant is if young people actually did vote in large numbers and nothing happened but they never did so where is your proof?
    :facepalm2:
    So as already pointed out, of the promises made in manifestos, how many have the govt actually done? And how many times does this happen with govts? :rolleyes: But apparently the govts are 100% honest.

ReputationRep:
    >choose STEM degree
    >get a good placement in a reputable company
    >go onto graduate scheme
    >???
    >profit

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    So as already pointed out, of the promises made in manifestos, how many have the govt actually done? And how many times does this happen with govts? :rolleyes: But apparently the govts are 100% honest.
    No proof then. Put up or shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    No proof then. Put up or shut up.
    You are joking? Need I remind you of

Seriously, either you are trolling or nothing will change your mind on this topic. But to think that politicians never lie.....wow. I'm sure the psychology section would love to get some studies done on you.

Oh, and I love how you avoided all my direction question before :troll: It's getting a bit obvious now.

(Original post by demx9)
    >choose STEM degree
    >get a good placement in a reputable company
    >go onto graduate scheme
    >???
    >profit
    Pahahahaha.
    a) Assuming you have the ability to do a STEM degree
    b) Assuming you get a placement in a good company in a market that is already saturated before you even began A levels.
    c) Assuming house prices etc have not kept on increasing at their rate (which they will) and outstrip salaries even more than they currently do.

Seriously, go look at grad schemes right now, look at how many people you will be up against, and now look at where you would work and the average house price. Now work out how the hell you could afford to buy a house/all your money goes on rent and a car.

ReputationRep:

Seriously, either you are trolling or nothing will change your mind on this topic. But to think that politicians never lie.....wow. I'm sure the psychology section would love to get some studies done on you.

Oh, and I love how you avoided all my direction question before :troll: It's getting a bit obvious now.

Pahahahaha.
    b) Assuming you get a placement in a good company in a market that is already saturated before you even began A levels.
    c) Assuming house prices etc have not kept on increasing at their rate (which they will) and outstrip salaries even more than they currently do.

Seriously, go look at grad schemes right now, look at how many people you will be up against, and now look at where you would work and the average house price. Now work out how the hell you could afford to buy a house/all your money goes on rent and a car.
    100k a year isn't enough for me now in 2020

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Pahahahaha.

Harsh truth. Be born rich, only way!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.