Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with the death penalty? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with the death Penalty?
    #YES
    40.49%
    NEVER!
    59.51%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    If the UK was to leave the EU so that it could reinstate capital punishment it's likely we'd adopt a system somewhat similar to the USA where death penalty trials are 20 times more expensive to the taxpayer than trials seeking life in prison.

So if take if I pick up a piece of paper that belongs to you and set fire to it I should be liable to be executed? If I drop something that you could slip on and you do and later die I should be eligible for the death penalty? Some people say some utterly moronic things.

Funny that the people of the US, a country which uses capital punishment, don't think it's an effective deterrent. Luckily the EU wouldn't allow us to reinstate capital punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Severe arson i meant which put lives at risk not your ****ty paper fire.man slaughter would only count if the victim have been attacked

ReputationRep:
    Thats why you be very authoritan and kill them and make there family pay for the execution
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    The taxpayer pays more to have someone executed than to have them locked up. Moreover, the taxpayer pays more when the death penalty is in place because it takes the place of other, better deterrents, leading to more crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Thats why you be very authoritan and kill them and make there family pay for the execution
    Their families are also taxpayers. It is far fairer to have society in general pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I bet 100% of them (pro death penalty people) are meat eaters. Bloody meat eating savages. A vegan would not vote in favour of capital punishment, EVER!
    Are you in favour of abortion, O self righteous one?

ReputationRep:
    Their families are also taxpayers. It is far fairer to have society in general pay.
    It aint society which should pay for it.they chokse to do it the family gets billed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    If the UK was to leave the EU so that it could reinstate capital punishment it's likely we'd adopt a system somewhat similar to the USA where death penalty trials are 20 times more expensive to the taxpayer than trials seeking life in prison.

So if take if I pick up a piece of paper that belongs to you and set fire to it I should be liable to be executed? If I drop something that you could slip on and you do and later die I should be eligible for the death penalty? Some people say some utterly moronic things.

Funny that the people of the US, a country which uses capital punishment, don't think it's an effective deterrent. Luckily the EU wouldn't allow us to reinstate capital punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would happen if by some freak of events UKIP got elected and we had a Brexit do you think?

ReputationRep:
    It aint society which should pay for it.they chokse to do it the family gets billed
    That doesn't make a lick of sense. In many cases a murderer's family will have had nothing to do with the murderer's choice. Why do they deserve to pay any more than any other citizen?

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make a lick of sense. In many cases a murderer's family will have had nothing to do with the murderer's choice. Why do they deserve to pay any more than any other citizen?
    So iv thats the case there oarents havent done a very goid job,killing people is never an answer yes have a fight but do not kill anyone you know when someone has taken enough blows let them drop do not kick their head in and the person will not die

ReputationRep:
    Never, I don't care what crime they may have committed, the death penalty is immoral. What's important is rehabilitation and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    So iv thats the case there oarents havent done a very goid job,killing people is never an answer yes have a fight but do not kill anyone you know when someone has taken enough blows let them drop do not kick their head in and the person will not die
    What the hell are you talking about?
    (Original post by tebr)
    It's fair and brings justice on the family of the victims. It should also please the general population knowing that a murderer or child rapist is now dead.
    I would hardly call that justice. It's still just petty revenge.

Also, I'm sure that the murderer would explain that their murder was just as justified as yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    What the hell are you talking about?

I would hardly call that justice. It's still just petty revenge.

Also, I'm sure that the murderer would explain that their murder was just as justified as yours.
    Murder for murder simple as that, i have a friend in the police who is akways arresting ghe same ****s for woundry vua knife crime. Why should you murder someone and get no punishment

ReputationRep:
    Woukd it ge immoral if the criminal has murdered your parents or kids if you have any?

(Original post by liquidconfidence)
    Never, I don't care what crime they may have committed, the death penalty is immoral. What's important is rehabilitation and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    Woukd it ge immoral if the criminal has murdered your parents or kids if you have any?
    Lol definitely don't have any kids, and if anything like that did happen God forbid (not Christian btw lol) I would still see the death penalty as being immoral. Although that doesn't mean that what the criminal did wasn't. It just wouldn't change my opinion.

Definitely they should be punished, but not by the death penalty then they should receive rehabilitation to make sure something like that never happens again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
    but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples
    would you sentence the women who go for abortions to death as well? That's about a third of all women in the UK apparently...

ReputationRep:
    No.

I don't even see why this discussion has to take place.

We're basically being asked:

"Do you want to kill people?"

ReputationRep:
    yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
    but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples
    If it applies to extreme cases only it's unlikely to work as a deterrent. Le rigby's killets would not be put off by the threat of execution, nor would a women who kills her new born baby. Again with extreme cases of rape, if they are willing to do something so extreme they are either unhinged, believe themselves above the law or simply don't care.

If it doesn't work as a deterrent and certainly doesn't work as rehabilitation the only good thing is the protective side (can't reoffend if you are dead).l but then why not imprison them, I'm assuming you want strict guides on when and when not, in which case there will be constant legal challenges against a death sentencing..

ReputationRep:
    Wow so many morons in here agree with the death penalty.

Firstly as someone above pointed out it is massively hypocritical.

Secondly many innocent people have lose their lives to it, many cases in America.

Thirdly giving the state or government the ability to kill people legally is a very very bad idea, with the wrong guy/s in charge you will regret it ever being legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No. There's no evidence it's an effective deterrent and thus serves no purpose other than that of primitive, bloodthirsty revenge.

Moreover, it is deeply hypocritical. Teaching that crimes like murder and rape are wrong by murdering (executing) someone defeats the entire purpose of trying to eradicate these behaviours. Two wrongs don't make a right, not now and not ever, as history has aptly shown.
    Who's arsed about rehabilitation? Why do people deserve to be rehabiliated at the expense and risk of others after they have committed the most reprehensible crime?

Its not revenge its a simple you had your chance and now your chance is gone and you are being removed from this world, bye bye

How is Jailing someone not hypocritical? Why is issuing jail or a fine not classed as revenge yet the death sentence is?

Nearly 7 billion people on this planet. Everbody in the first world gets an education and access to an incredible amount of information. They also get 18 years to learn how not behave and the impact things like murder have on victims / families. If you choose to inflict such permanent and heinous suffering on others you have absolutely no place in this world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What would happen if by some freak of events UKIP got elected and we had a Brexit do you think?
    That's like saying what if an alien from a black hole millions of light years away told us to reinstate capital punishment or he'd throw a neutron star at Earth; neither are going to happen.

Severe arson i meant which put lives at risk not your ****ty paper fire.man slaughter would only count if the victim have been attacked
    There's no such offence as 'severe arson' so I'll assume you mean arson with intent to endanger life. So if I was behaving childishly with a lighter in someone's house who happened to have an extremely flammable carpet and during my messing around I accidentally dropped the lighter and the whole carpet went up and pretty quickly most of the room was on fire but no one died I should be executed?

Well if the victim had been attacked then it would more likely be murder; in my experience it's rare that intent to commit ABH leads to death.

Murder for murder simple as that, i have a friend in the police who is akways arresting ghe same ****s for woundry vua knife crime. Why should you murder someone and get no punishment
    Why stop there then? Rape for rape? Assault for assault?

1. Most people's families wouldn't have anywhere near the money. The average murder costs society about £1.8m and like I said previously we'd likely adopt a similar system to the US where a trial seeking execution costs around 20 times more.
    2. If your child commits a murder (or a far softer crime that you think should be punishable by a long drop) how are you to blame?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes or no? and why

I don't really want to live in a country where we collectively decide to kill our own civilians. It actually makes me sick.

Most paedophiles were abused as kids themselves. So how are they to blame for how they were nurtured?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.