Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Moving to London. TSR what should I know? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I lived there last year. It was fine. Didn't get killed even once. Much, much less dodgy (and cheaper) than Camden, with nicer houses. Not very happening though. You basically have to take a cab or wait until 5:30am for the tube to restart if you want to go out in the centre. Unless you want to mess around with night buses.

If you want to go a little bit further on the DLR Greenwich is lovely.
    Where on the IOD did you live? (If you don't want to say exactly what was the nearest DLR station? Haha)

Are night buses a no go area full of people who'll stab you then?

Yeah, the University is beautiful, never been though Is it safe too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    why cant you be chatty?
    Its usually the weird crazy ones that chat people up. Unless thats the case for you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Don't be chatty to randoms on public transport and for the love of God, stand on the right of underground escalators
    I can't stand noobs who stand on the left! They are scum of the Earth

ReputationRep:
    Its usually the weird crazy ones that chat people up. Unless thats the case for you...
    I'm from up North and people chat to strangers all the time here. I dont mind if it's a woman but with half the guys who do it (usually older creeps) its blatantly obvious they're being weird :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Where I live, noone understands this. It's just commonplace for everyone to stand wherever the hell they want to so I have to endure the painfully long journey up/down the escalator. Worst is at the airport when you want to get to immigration quickly to avoid the queue from an incoming flight. And then you get stuck behind some sod who doesn't give a toss about courtesy.. ughhh -.-

ReputationRep:
    IKR I always assume that they are tourists, because Londoners would know that pain too well
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Where?
    Not completely sure yet. New job is South London, but Boris' job is North London, so flat hunting is fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ha27)
    heyhey harrow is beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    don't dig the chavs hanging round the bus station, getting drunk and bunking school but the area looks nice

ReputationRep:
    Where on the IOD did you live? (If you don't want to say exactly what was the nearest DLR station? Haha)

Are night buses a no go area full of people who'll stab you then?

Yeah, the University is beautiful, never been though Is it safe too?
    I lived on a nice housing development about 5-10 mins walk SE of Crossharbour. Before that I secured a house right next to the river about 10 mins west of Mudchute, but that fell through. Both were enormously better and more spacious than anything I saw in North London (I looked extensively around Camden and Kentish Town, and then expanded it to pretty much everywhere else.)

I don't think they're dangerous, they're just really infrequent and packed full of people. And a bit chaotic. And they only go from particular places, which aren't always convenient (I think the main one for me was Trafalgar Square, although I never actually took one because I was put off the idea by a housemate.)

As far as I know it's safe. I never felt threatened walking around there. in fact I've never felt at all threatened walking around in London, except for one time I made the mistake of staying in a very cheap hotel in a dodgy looking bit of Southwark.

ReputationRep:
    IKR I always assume that they are tourists, because Londoners would know that pain too well
    Once I walked up the left then this fat ****ing american douchebag just stood there on the left. I'm pretty sure he knew I was there. There was a lot of people looking up at me, then I yelled: "Excuse me please" and the fat **** finally moved this ass out of the way. - stupid ****!

ReputationRep:
    Be careful when cycling on roads and be cautious of cyclists when crossing roads.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god the anger I've felt at this.

I particularly hate people who stand on the right, but then leave their bags or suitcases or whatever on the left. Like, they've read the sign, but they haven't applied their brains to figure out what might be the reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    By know their stuff do you mean get there faster or give you a history lesson?

How much do they go up by?

3 confrontations is quite a lot TBH were they violent? :eek: I go out a lot up North and never once been in one and I'm not particularly quiet, I'm a girl though

I thought Soho was seedy no offence? Or is that just a stereotype?
    They know their way around London, and yes they will give you a history lesson. Picture me, annoyed that my fare is going up as I am stuck in traffic and the man is chatting to me about George Osborne, and he had some of his facts wrong :rolleyes: But I'm sure there's ways to let them know you're not interested in chit chat, I just haven't mastered it yet.

3% last year I think it was? I don't keep up with how much they go up, I just know they do I'm loud and clumsy, although the first time was silly and was not my fault. Haven't been in a proper brawl yet, I'm training on a weekly basis for when it finally happens

Soho has it's charms, lots of bars, you can easily start a conversation with someone without them looking at you weird. I don't think it's seedy, there's lots of bars and nightclubs and stuff and the drinks are affordable. And food, so much food! :drool: I don't think it's seedy, even if there's a lot of sex shops about :lol: I'm in Soho every Friday TBH so my judgement could be biased

ReputationRep:
    I'm from up North and people chat to strangers all the time here. I dont mind if it's a woman but with half the guys who do it (usually older creeps) its blatantly obvious they're being weird :mad:
    Its really uncommon here.. I once went on a bus outside London and was surprised how people would casually talk to you. I suppose people in London just can't be arsed for small talks :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Where did you move from?
    So Riotgirl, what is this super amazing well paid job that you will be doing in London? I'm a tad jealous cos i'm stuck in a ****ty temp job, so inspire me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I lived on a nice housing development about 5-10 mins walk SE of Crossharbour. Before that I secured a house right next to the river about 10 mins west of Mudchute, but that fell through. Both were enormously better and more spacious than anything I saw in North London (I looked extensively around Camden and Kentish Town, and then expanded it to pretty much everywhere else.)

I don't think they're dangerous, they're just really infrequent and packed full of people. And a bit chaotic. And they only go from particular places, which aren't always convenient (I think the main one for me was Trafalgar Square, although I never actually took one because I was put off the idea by a housemate.)

As far as I know it's safe. I never felt threatened walking around there. in fact I've never felt at all threatened walking around in London, except for one time I made the mistake of staying in a very cheap hotel in a dodgy looking bit of Southwark.
    Thanks. How much was your rent and were you sharing?

I didn't know that, I thought they went everywhere. Why did your housemate tell you not to use them?

I haven't been round London that much, felt most threatened at Victoria Coach station tbh - loads of dodgy guys there

ReputationRep:
    Buy an oyster card and don't ****ing loose it

ReputationRep:
    Once I walked up the left then this fat ****ing american douchebag just stood there on the left. I'm pretty sure he knew I was there. There was a lot of people looking up at me, then I yelled: "Excuse me please" and the fat **** finally moved this ass out of the way. - stupid ****!
    LOOL from your expressions I wouldn't be surprised if you were to push the guy out the way :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    They know their way around London, and yes they will give you a history lesson. Picture me, annoyed that my fare is going up as I am stuck in traffic and the man is chatting to me about George Osborne, and he had some of his facts wrong :rolleyes: But I'm sure there's ways to let them know you're not interested in chit chat, I just haven't mastered it yet.

3% last year I think it was? I don't keep up with how much they go up, I just know they do I'm loud and clumsy, although the first time was silly and was not my fault. Haven't been in a proper brawl yet, I'm training on a weekly basis for when it finally happens

Soho has it's charms, lots of bars, you can easily start a conversation with someone without them looking at you weird. I don't think it's seedy, there's lots of bars and nightclubs and stuff and the drinks are affordable. And food, so much food! :drool: I don't think it's seedy, even if there's a lot of sex shops about :lol: I'm in Soho every Friday TBH so my judgement could be biased
    Haha :lol: Some taxi drivers in Blackpool are really dodgy and will take routes I know are longer on purpose while talking my ear off, I hate that

Is it for inflation? I heard guys try to start fights with other guys more but unless you swear at people or something or something that's still not on :nope:

By starting a conversation do you mean chatting them up or just general convos? I'm from up North so the latter is pretty common. I love good food, how expensive is it and where are the best restaurants? :drool: Is Soho that good that you keep going back?

ReputationRep:
    LOOL from your expressions I wouldn't be surprised if you were to push the guy out the way :lol:
    If only I wasn't 5ft 8 and 53.7kg, I would have

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.