Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

vegan, vegetarian, omnivore? watch

• View Poll Results: are you vegan, vegetarian, omni, other?
    vegan
    17.31%
    vegetarian
    24.36%
    omni
    54.49%
    other
    3.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    If you want to feed everyone it cannot be done with organic systems, especially if everyone is vegan. The main fertiliser for organic systems is manure and without livestock there is no manure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    human waste can be used as fertiliser. i live on a farm and my dad's farmer and though he doesn't farm organically he has a few friends who do. one or two use human waste. the problem with human waste is that our diet is generally worse than animals' diets. in developing countries they have to use their poop else they can't grow anything. so ideally we'll move towards organic farming, remove the human waste taboo in agriculture and stop producing meat eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    I guess you're fine with hunting then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it depends. i'm not ok with rich people going hunting for sport. anyone living in england doesn't need to go hunting unless they're cut off from civilisation, and that's extremely rare since we've become so industrialised. however, in poor regions of the world where their only option is to hunt, i'll have to be ok with it. there are alternatives such as foraging but it would probably be difficult to get all the nutrition required from an exclusively vegan diet in that part of the world. it depends on the tribe or community and their ancestral makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairytalecolours)
    human waste can be used as fertiliser. i live on a farm and my dad's farmer and though he doesn't farm organically he has a few friends who do. one or two use human waste. the problem with human waste is that our diet is generally worse than animals' diets. in developing countries they have to use their poop else they can't grow anything. so ideally we'll move towards organic farming, remove the human waste taboo in agriculture and stop producing meat eventually.
    You do realise that you cannot use sewage on organic land. It is against the rules of organic certification across the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed an increase in news stories related to veganism recently. In one article I read that there are currently around 150,000 vegans in the UK. Have you noticed an increased awareness in regards to veganism/animal rights/environmentalism? Are you vegan, vegetarian or omni? Do you know many vegans or vegetarians?
    Every human is an omnivore, the term describes the diet a being can have, not the diet one does have or should have

ReputationRep:
    it depends. i'm not ok with rich people going hunting for sport. anyone living in england doesn't need to go hunting unless they're cut off from civilisation, and that's extremely rare since we've become so industrialised. however, in poor regions of the world where their only option is to hunt, i'll have to be ok with it. there are alternatives such as foraging but it would probably be difficult to get all the nutrition required from an exclusively vegan diet in that part of the world. it depends on the tribe or community and their ancestral makeup.
    But what happens if you get your way and animal agriculture is largely reduced? Meat will not be easily bought. Would you be against people in England going out a hunting rabbits, ducks and deer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You do realise that you cannot use sewage on organic land. It is against the rules of organic certification across the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well that's stupid bc last time i checked human sewage is the same as manure. we're all animals. humans are so pious and self-affirming yet our truth is hidden in our behaviour. my own **** isn't good enough for me to eat but i can eat other beings' ****; ew don't talk about **** that's gross, just let me eat my animal **** that isn't human **** in peace along with my dead animal bodies.

excuse my shrewdness but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    But what happens if you get your way and animal agriculture is largely reduced? Meat will not be easily bought. Would you be against people in England going out a hunting rabbits, ducks and deer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Be interested to see if it is justifiable in 10 years time when we likely have a huge variety of synthetics meats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Every human is an omnivore, the term describes the diet a being can have, not the diet one does have or should have
    indeed, you're correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the transition to veganism will be extremely gradual, and animal agricultural conditions will worsen before they improve, simply because humans aren't yet aware of what's happening in the industry and more and more countries are becoming industrialised and westernised. once awareness increases, we'll see more and more people transitioning to organic/high welfare diets until eventually we won't raise animals for slaughter anymore. yes i am against people hunting animals in england unless they have no other option which as i said is extremely extremely unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Be interested to see if it is justifiable in 10 years time when we likely have a huge variety of synthetics meats.
    I don't think we will be phasing out meat within 10 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'rm really interested in synthetic meats but i don't know much about them or the process we'd use to create them. could you tell me what you know/your perspective please?

ReputationRep:
    indeed, you're correct

the transition to veganism will be extremely gradual, and animal agricultural conditions will worsen before they improve, simply because humans aren't yet aware of what's happening in the industry and more and more countries are becoming industrialised and westernised. once awareness increases, we'll see more and more people transitioning to organic/high welfare diets until eventually we won't raise animals for slaughter anymore. yes i am against people hunting animals in england unless they have no other option which as i said is extremely extremely unlikely.
    How will we grow enough healthy organic crops without fertiliser to feed the nation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'rm really interested in synthetic meats but i don't know much about them or the process we'd use to create them. could you tell me what you know/your perspective please?

Most are based on growing cultures in labs, some are based on human poo (thank you Japan) and I believe there is one that is in fact plant based, but I haven't looked into that much. But most predict they'll start selling to a mass market in less than a decade.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with hunting (shooting) animals? Pretty much all shooting in the UK has a legitimate reason behind it, and is often a source of meat (except things like rats, obviously). And it's far better from a welfare, health and environment point of view.

What about hunting for pest control, which usually produces some form of meat as well?

ReputationRep:
    Most are based on growing cultures in labs, some are based on human poo (thank you Japan) and I believe there is one that is in fact plant based, but I haven't looked into that much. But most predict they'll start selling to a mass market in less than a decade.
    ooh that's interesting and definitely something to campaign for and work towards. the meat grown in labs would likely be 'purer' than animal meat because it would be specifically designed and created under controlled conditions. most animal agriculture isn't controlled so animal diets aren't optimal and feces often ends up in the finished product due to rushed and inefficient processing of animals

(Original post by RFowler)
    What's wrong with hunting (shooting) animals? Pretty much all shooting in the UK has a legitimate reason behind it, and is often a source of meat (except things like rats, obviously). And it's far better from a welfare, health and environment point of view.

What about hunting for pest control, which usually produces some form of meat as well?
    animals have inherent value and don't want to be killed. therefore we shouldn't take their lives unless absolutely necessary. hunting in england is almost always unnecessary, therefore we shouldn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Omni - and if there is an increase in vegan/vegetarians then it shows people's knowledge of nutrition is decreasing.
    let's play spot the the egotist omnivore who has no concept of nutrition

ReputationRep:
    I love how many awesome people are on this thread. I'm actually finding it difficult to spot the omnivores amongst the complete and utter legends that are vegetarian/vegan

Q: If we could live happily and healthily without hurting sentient creatures, why the **** wouldn't we?

ReputationRep:
    animals have inherent value and don't want to be killed. therefore we shouldn't take their lives unless absolutely necessary. hunting in england is almost always unnecessary, therefore we shouldn't
    "Unnecessary" is pretty much irrelevant, considering how many aspects of modern life (that have all sorts of negative impacts) could be dismissed in the same way.

A lot of shooting is done for pest control, for things like agriculture, forestry and conservation purposes. Not "unnecessary" by any sensible definition of the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libbylangham)
    let's play spot the the egotist omnivore who has no concept of nutrition
    And what proof do you have? What is your daily macro breakdown? :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    eating meat is definitely bad for animals. no animal wants to be raised in conditions that range from ok to awful for a short time before they're driven to a slaughterhouse to meet their violent end.
    Nice to meet you Doctor Doolittle. Worth noting that chickens really don't care and happily resort to cannibalism. Also, they're small, stupid, aggressive and try to start fights with everything despite having no real chance of winning. By rearing them we're actually giving them a better life than they would have got, because they'd pretty soon get ripped to shreds by a fox.

ReputationRep:
    omni 4 liffe

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.