Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most important arts/humanities subject watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think is mathematics a science depends on definition of science.

Mathematics functions very same way to sciences, you have a hypothesis, and then you need evidence, in case of math a proof.

It is not a natural science since it doesn't investigate nature, but I think it still is science because all results on math are repeatble, and its objective. There is no place for opinion.

I think math is more a science than social sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Applied maths is not maths. Everything is applied philosophy. Therefore all science is philosophy? Wut?
    This is such a contradiction - by your logic, applied philosophy cannot be philosophy therefore is everything is applied philosophy then nothing is philosophy... if not then applied maths CAN be considered (the the same logic) maths and therefore all science is maths. You cannot dismiss something one minute then allow it the next to suit yourself, that's not how logic works.

I'd expect you to understand that as a passionate philosopher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilia1320)
    I think is mathematics a science depends on definition of science.

Mathematics functions very same way to sciences, you have a hypothesis, and then you need evidence, in case of math a proof.

It is not a natural science since it doesn't investigate nature, but I think it still is science because all results on math are repeatble, and its objective. There is no place for opinion.

I think math is more a science than social sciences.
    But that is precisely how any good analytic philosophy works too. Is analytic philosophy more of a science than social sciences? Perhaps so. But then you get people who talk about existentialism and it is indeed part of philosophy albeit one I never venture into because frankly I think it is vacuous crap. Perhaps philosophy is too broad defined to even bother talking about in this context.

Of course when I say philosophy is useful I don't mean Indian philosophy >_>

ReputationRep:
    History or Philosophy - both of them share the top spot in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    This is such a contradiction - by your logic, applied philosophy cannot be philosophy therefore is everything is applied philosophy then nothing is philosophy... if not then applied maths CAN be considered (the the same logic) maths and therefore all science is maths. You cannot dismiss something one minute then allow it the next to suit yourself, that's not how logic works.

I'd expect you to understand that as a passionate philosopher.
    Actually philosophy is unique in that it is the only discipline that can apply itself while being itself... Philosophy of science is not science, but philosophy. You don't really get mathematics of physics though, that, is just part of physics (at least semantically?). I'm not entirely sure about the semantic cause of that... just something I've noticed.

Still, ignoring that, because my intention was not to raise that point before. I just wanted to show the alternatives. If maths is the king of science then philosophy is the king of maths and... That doesn't sit well with many folks. I suppose the problem is what I alluded to before though - people think then of existentialism and continental feminists ruling over mathematicians. Hahaha. Obviously not... And if people don't want to concede that then must argue that applied maths is not "maths", perhaps meta-maths? You could try and differentiate the two. I suggest taking the route which simplifies this whole "categorising disciplines into different areas" problem. As after all surely the purpose of categorising disciplines by name is to simplify the similarities and differences between them in some way and to make inter-disciplinary comparisons and research easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    I'm sorry, is art not a language? And your complete dismissal of arts shows your lack of emotional intelligence and intellectual ability... just because you aren't open-minded enough to even attempt to understand something doesn't mean that A) you shouldn't or B) it isn't important.

We live in an image-saturated age. Everything you have ever purchased was marketed, and marketing would be useless without visual aid. So if art is vital in the functioning of the economy and countless other areas, how is it useless? I could go on...
    Sorry, guess I worded myself wrong. I tought this thread meant like, what is the most important subject to be studied by an individual, and I don't think art, history, or other humanities classes besides English have helped me anyhow in my life, that's why I said English is the most important. I only presented my perspective to the issue. Humanities classes were huge waste of time in my case, and art class was the most useless of them all. Disclaimer, only in my case. People going into humanities fields of course will find use on them.

I never said I'm emotionally intelligent (or any other way intelligent), and I know I have low emotional intelligence. Sorry for my lack of talent with this aspect.

And I'd like to disagree that art is a language. It doesn't have explicit expressions to words. (Sure it has pictures, but not everything is visible for eye). Its just vague stuff that everyone may interpret different ways. There is no use in communication for such a thing, how does one ensure their art message is not misunderstood?

I think marketing deals more with psychology and economics than art.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    jneill Look what you've started.
    I was trying to find a popcorn smiley...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    But that is precisely how any good analytic philosophy works too. Is analytic philosophy more of a science than social sciences? Perhaps so. But then you get people who talk about existentialism and it is indeed part of philosophy albeit one I never venture into because frankly I think it is vacuous crap. Perhaps philosophy is too broad defined to even bother talking about in this context.

Of course when I say philosophy is useful I don't mean Indian philosophy >_>
    I have to admit I am not fully aware of functions of analytical philosophy, but if it follows the pattern of having a hypothesis and a proof then I'd say its more a science than social science.

I agree philosophy is too broad to be discussed where it maps on, but I think some aspects of philosophy are very essential for all knowledge processes. I think math and physics are the most important disclipes but I'd place some areas of philosophy third.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I believe this is a fundamental reason why this conversation always causes controversy - I've had some big arguments about philosophy and I've realised this is because many people don't understand what it actually is. It seems that in the eyes of the general public philosophy is basically a bunch of dudes with long beards sitting around and talking each other in circles about 'what is the meaning of life' type questions. Things like the Plato's Cave get bandied about and then everyone thinks philosophers are discussing things like "ooh maybe nothing's actually real" which is really missing the point.

I have a very hard time articulating what I think it's about though so I'm never much help in resolving the problem. :dontknow:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Applied maths is not maths. Everything is applied philosophy. Therefore all science is philosophy? Wut?
    I definitely don't have a problem with maths being applied philosophy.

Philosophy is the root of all knowledge (and wisdom).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, guess I worded myself wrong. I tought this thread meant like, what is the most important subject to be studied by an individual, and I don't think art, history, or other humanities classes besides English have helped me anyhow in my life, that's why I said English is the most important. I only presented my perspective to the issue. Humanities classes were huge waste of time in my case, and art class was the most useless of them all. Disclaimer, only in my case. People going into humanities fields of course will find use on them.

I never said I'm emotionally intelligent (or any other way intelligent), and I know I have low emotional intelligence. Sorry for my lack of talent with this aspect.

And I'd like to disagree that art is a language. It doesn't have explicit expressions to words. (Sure it has pictures, but not everything is visible for eye). Its just vague stuff that everyone may interpret different ways. There is no use in communication for such a thing, how does one ensure their art message is not misunderstood?

I think marketing deals more with psychology and economics than art.
    So because something may be misunderstood, it isn't a form of language? If we go by that logic, there is no language as anything can be misunderstood. Sentences can have as many secondary meanings as a piece of art. For example, the sentence "I never said she stole my money" has at least 7 distinct meanings.

Besides, motifs and recognisable symbols in art can be considered as words. Even colour usage can create specific responses and highlight specific emotions which the majority of people would recognise, just as most people recognise the primary meaning of a word.

Sorry if I seem attacking, just presenting my opinions, I'm aware that my opinion isn't definitive or more right than anyone else's.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I have to admit I am not fully aware of functions of analytical philosophy, but if it follows the pattern of having a hypothesis and a proof then I'd say its more a science than social science.

I agree philosophy is too broad to be discussed where it maps on, but I think some aspects of philosophy are very essential for all knowledge processes. I think math and physics are the most important disclipes but I'd place some areas of philosophy third.
    Where do you draw the lines between theoretical physics and physics and philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy I would say.

ReputationRep:
    8 Great Philosophical questions we will never solve
    Why is there something rather than nothing?
    Is our universe real?
    Do we have free will?
    Does God exist?
    Is there life after death?
    Can you really experience anything objectively?
    What is the best moral system?
    What are numbers?

Fun to discuss over a beer, no doubt. Useful? Important? Most important?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    I was trying to find a popcorn smiley...

:getmecoat:
    You need MJ:

ReputationRep:
    I believe this is a fundamental reason why this conversation always causes controversy - I've had some big arguments about philosophy and I've realised this is because many people don't understand what it actually is. It seems that in the eyes of the general public philosophy is basically a bunch of dudes with long beards sitting around and talking each other in circles about 'what is the meaning of life' type questions. Things like the Plato's Cave get bandied about and then everyone thinks philosophers are discussing things like "ooh maybe nothing's actually real" which is really missing the point.
    That's actually exactly how I think of it. :lol:

I have a very hard time articulating what I think it's about though so I'm never much help in resolving the problem. :dontknow:
    A pity. I would quite like to know what you think it is about.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you draw the lines between theoretical physics and physics and philosophy?
    But physics is applied analytical philosophy. To be honest we should go back to calling it Natural Philosophy. Sounds cooler

The interpretation of quantum mechanics is a good example of philosophy and physics. There are different interpretations you can choose, all of which are equally valid empirically speaking. They all match up to experiment.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who hated History at school, I still believe it's important for children to learn about it. A lot more important than English lit., that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Honeslty, I think drawing a line is difficult and maybe even pointless. These things overlap.

By definition, theoretical physics is branch of physics. The line between physics and philosophy, well, if its physics it needs to use scientific methods, and claims must have as strong evidence as possible, mathematical or empirical, primarily both, and all results should be repeatable. Of course wrong theories will be made and disproved, that's how science functions. And by no means we should stop making hypothesis and trying to search evidence for them.

One could even consider physics as branch of philosophy, and in the past it was branch of philosophy, but I think modern physics has evolved far from those times, and it has enough on its own to be considered own disclipe. As I said drawing a line is hard. Philosophy is so wide that it has a bit to do with everything.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.