Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhysh98)
    i have cut it very fine, but even if i don't get through to bmo i have next year good luck to you, hope the boundaries are in our favour
    please let the boundaries be in our favour!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajaxkiller)
    rahhh if ur getting a gold in year 12 thats maddd uno

plus u have next year anyways. people always do way better in the second year because they improve on their math foundations. if ur getting a gold this year i think you might have a solid chance for bmo next year
    Are you basing your statement on fact or just plucking stuff out of thin air? Because from what I've personally seen, the scores stay pretty similar for the majority of candidates.

ReputationRep:
    About the same as last year I think, maybe a little higher. Just did (most of) the questions, and the later ones were very easy compared to previous years (though my perception may be skewed due to not being an A Level student anymore) while some of the earlier ones seemed relatively tricky given their position in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    Are you basing your statement on fact or just plucking stuff out of thin air? Because from what I've personally seen, the scores stay pretty similar for the majority of candidates.
    It's common sense that people are likely to do better the second year they do the challenge. They've been exposed to more maths so will be more fluent with algebra etc. and know the styles of question being asked.
    I personally have done a way better this year than last year (although I did very well in the intermediate yr 11) and that's from knowing more maths and having seen much more of the type of problem in the challenges.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the approximate boundaries are?

ReputationRep:
    I tried 1-13,17 and 18, but I got 2 wrong. How much would that be??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    I tried 1-13,17 and 18, but I got 2 wrong. How much would that be??
    Should be 75 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    Should be 75 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thanks, so its a silver..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajaxkiller)
    rahhh if ur getting a gold in year 12 thats maddd uno

plus u have next year anyways. people always do way better in the second year because they improve on their math foundations. if ur getting a gold this year i think you might have a solid chance for bmo next year
    I got Merit in Kangaroo last year and felt I did WAY better in the SMC this year. Still not getting into BMO1... Gonna have to pay, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as qualifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    I got Merit in Kangaroo last year and felt I did WAY better in the SMC this year. Still not getting into BMO1... Gonna have to pay, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as qualifying.
    Is it possible to do both the kangaroo and the bmo1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagmister)
    Is it possible to do both the kangaroo and the bmo1?
    Pretty sure you can't. I'm definitely not doing the Kangaroo this year, it just comes as an insult to me. Gonna pay for BMO1.

ReputationRep:
    it's fact that as you grow older your math skills improve, hence your score improves.
    if it stays the same, then the test must be higher, but according to the threshold, you have done better than before.

so no, im not plucking stuff out of thin air, its just common sense.

ReputationRep:
    I heard you automatically get an offer from ucl for maths if you qualify for the bmo1 is that true?

ReputationRep:
    When will the actual thresholds be out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    When will the actual thresholds be out?
    when everyone's papers get marked which is about 3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagmister)
    I heard you automatically get an offer from ucl for maths if you qualify for the bmo1 is that true?
    If you're good enough at maths to get into the BMO you're likely good enough for an offer from UCL. You obviously still need to meet their entry requirements too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Surely if you can't qualify for BMO its not likely that you're going to do very well?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait Ive done 1-14, 17 and 18 and got 4 wrong Is that 69?

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you can't qualify for BMO its not likely that you're going to do very well?
    That's a bit of an ignorant statement. I answered 21 questions, made silly mistakes on 6, 8 and 12 (I think those are the right numbers) and got everything else right. I don't think that suggests I'm going to do badly in BMO1.
    Plus, it's not just about doing well. I just want to experience sitting an olympiad once, since this is the last year I can do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    If you're good enough at maths to get into the BMO you're likely good enough for an offer from UCL. You obviously still need to meet their entry requirements too.
    I have an offer from UCL for Maths (which I don't plan to accept lol) but I only got Merit in Kangaroo in Year 12. It's probably because of my high AS UMS scores, so I'd say qualifying for BMO isn't that important if very well in your AS M/FM modules.

I don't know about your statement. I've heard about a lot of people who have qualified for BMO1 but not done well in their AS Levels, so UCL probably wouldn't give them offers.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.