Turn on thread page Beta

Capital Punishment; The Question watch

• View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be integrated into UK law?
    Yes
    30.72%
    No
    69.28%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I suppose so. A lot of people don't realise that there is a MHoC though, and if any potential debates in the MHoC had links to joining it'd surely bring in more members, something that is severely lacking.
    If the GE can't bring them in then I struggle to see how this will. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to use the example of murderers here; but any other crimes can be easily substituted in here.

Lets take someone who has went on a killing spree, say killing at least a dozen people. This person [I'm reluctant to even call them a person- lets call them a thing] will have had to go out and have these thoughts 'I'm going to go out and kill X' To even have the mindset to do such an inhumane thing; there's no going back from that. Once a murderer, always a murderer.

Now, there is 2 potential outcomes without capital punishment
    1. Life imprisonment- Whats the point in spending this time and money on this thing, to keep them behind bars all their life. Its a waste of taxpayer money to keep this heap of a thing in a prison
    2. Imprisonment then release- I don't feel safe knowing that murderers are potentially being let out after their sentences. Although they may claim to be sorry, or may have passed mental tests; but they could easily be bluffed, and this thing, with these thoughts in the past could easily have them again! Not safe for the people of the UK!

Anyway thats my 2 cents.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    If the GE can't bring them in then I struggle to see how this will. :dontknow:
    Fair enough
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    I'm going to use the example of murderers here; but any other crimes can be easily substituted in here.

Lets take someone who has went on a killing spree, say killing at least a dozen people. This person [I'm reluctant to even call them a person- lets call them a thing] will have had to go out and have these thoughts 'I'm going to go out and kill X' To even have the mindset to do such an inhumane thing; there's no going back from that. Once a murderer, always a murderer.

Now, there is 2 potential outcomes without capital punishment
    1. Life imprisonment- Whats the point in spending this time and money on this thing, to keep them behind bars all their life. Its a waste of taxpayer money to keep this heap of a thing in a prison
    2. Imprisonment then release- I don't feel safe knowing that murderers are potentially being let out after their sentences. Although they may claim to be sorry, or may have passed mental tests; but they could easily be bluffed, and this thing, with these thoughts in the past could easily have them again! Not safe for the people of the UK!

Anyway thats my 2 cents.
    Watching the west wing I heard the brilliant proposal that such people should be forced to constantly watch birthday, baptism, wedding etc videos of all the people they killed /raped/whatever as punishment. If course the two flaws are that it assumes the capacity to empathise, feel guilty, etc; and it overlooks the rapid desensitisation that would come from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Why are you pro?
    I'm not, made a mistake on the vote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    I'm not, made a mistake on the vote!
    Ah!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    My honourable friend I'm not sure you're any more within your rights to poll the House than IAS was. The policy can be passed or blocked by the proper procedure. And if the goal isn't to gain party views but the views of people who might just wander into the MHoC then surely it should be in the wider D&CA and outside the House.
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Whilst you have a valid point, this has brought more people to the MHoC who wouldn't usually be here, which is certainly a good thing. I think it'd be interesting to have more topical debates in the MHoC, though they should probably be started by Birch and not be too often, as it would detract from Bills
    Petros has basically said what I would. We have had more votes on this poll than we otherwise would, and this discussion has been featured in the TSR Times. The goal here was to both gauge public opinion, as it is an interesting discussion, and to increase MHoC traffic, which has been decidedly low recently.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro.

Some criminals cannot be reintegrated into society, and giving them a nice place to live and a comfortable existence just to help our conscience is counter productive and a waste of valuable resources.

ReputationRep:
    No but I do think Murder at whatever degree or whatever term you attach to it should be life, none of this 15 years pish! You take a life be prepared to spend the rest of yours looking at four walls and live with your actions.

ReputationRep:
    Anti, too much of a risk considering one innocent man executed is a scandal. I would like clarification over costing of Death Row v general jail time.

Ethically uneasy with state sponsored killing of British citizens when we condemn Brits for doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do people back the American principle of "better a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent man jailed?"

Or in this case, executed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I don't think jail for life is appropriate for everyone.
    I don't think it's unnecessary killing either
    how could you define execution as 'necessary' ??
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's a no from me. The reasons why I am opposed are in line with the reasons other posters have mentioned:

- An innocent person might end up being put to death. Some posters say that it should be done when there is 100% certainty that someone is guilty, but it is very difficult to be 100% certain whether or not this is the case. There have been cases in the States where people have confessed to crimes they did not actually commit. For anyone interested in how this can happen, I recommend The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, by John Grisham. Don't let Grisham's name put you off - he usually writes fiction, but this is non-fiction. Pretty grim read, though.

- No government or state should be permitted to take the lives of its citizens. If taking the life of another human being is wrong, which most if not all of us agree that it is, how can taking the life of another human being be okay all of a sudden when it's in the name of the state? You can call it what you like. Murder vs killing/the death penalty, but when you get right down to it, it's the same thing, with death as the result.

- Would you like to be on a jury deciding on whether someone lives or dies? Some people might. I would not want to make that decision, and people shouldn't be expected to have to do that. Besides, place enough people like myself on a jury, and a guilty person might be let off just because of a moral objection to being partly responsible for someone's death. Place enough people on a jury who are of the "hang 'em all" persuasion, and we might end up with an innocent person on death row.

- We would have to ask someone to take the life of other human beings. I can foresee that causing some real psychological damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    how could you define execution as 'necessary' ??
    For people who show no remorse & are not phased by what they've done. You can't keep them in prison forever. Those people do not deserve to be fed 3 meals a day, shower everyday, letters, education or a bed to sleep on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Anti, too much of a risk considering one innocent man executed is a scandal. I would like clarification over costing of Death Row v general jail time.

Ethically uneasy with state sponsored killing of British citizens when we condemn Brits for doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What if they take extra precaution to ensure they get the right man? I see how people are concerned about wrongly executing (although this doesn't really happen) but if that was a non-issue, how would you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What if they take extra precaution to ensure they get the right man? I see how people are concerned about wrongly executing (although this doesn't really happen) but if that was a non-issue, how would you feel?
    If we had some way of guaranteeing 100% I may consider it, but it's impossible. Too many biases in juries, evidence later goes on to change the case (discovery of DNA) digital media etc. It's just isn't feasible to reduce that risk to 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Because we decided that tit-for-tat or eye-for-an-eye revenge is not justice.

If someone is to be punished in a way that matches the crime, what do you do about a serial killer? Kill their family?

What do you do with someone who starves their children to death? Starve them and their siblings to death?

If a gang of lads give someone a kicking and that person dies, which of the gang should be kicked to death?

Punishment by revenge in the same way as the crime is not practical (and would be considered fairly horrific by many people). It is certainly not 'civilised'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Forsyth

This is a wiki article on such a crime as you contemplated, you reminded me of it, it was cases like this that changed a lot of peoples attitude to CP.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough call. On the face of it I agree for certain crimes such as a predator murdering a child.

There are too many cases of people being executed and then being exonerated. Far better imprisonment. The risk of killing innocent people is too great. I would hate to have a system like. The American one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Seeing as we recently had a bill along this line, I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on CP. There are some whom are very pro, and some who are very anti.

What do you all believe in and why?
    I'm really torn on this one while some people do deserve to die the time they make people is pretty cruel if i knew I was going to die I'd have trouble getting up in the morning just think how it must feel in your last few days or last day knowing "I'm going to die at ten O'clock tomorrow morning".

If they must kill them then at least doit like they do in thai land the come and get you with an hours warning I'd much prefer that if I was sentenced to death. also what if a mistake was made and apples there are stories of people on appeal being found innocent after it's too late or actually being in the chair and the appeal being up held at within the very last few seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    If we had some way of guaranteeing 100% I may consider it, but it's impossible. Too many biases in juries, evidence later goes on to change the case (discovery of DNA) digital media etc. It's just isn't feasible to reduce that risk to 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If wrongful conviction was not an issue then I think I would be in favour of CP

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.