Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    Well, I'm still enrolling on the civil engineering MENG course but switching to building surveying at the end of year 0.

I have spoke to the uni and they said this is better as you can go to other courses from the meng but not from the building surveying.....on the off chance that i may take to the engineering side. I doubt it, but well see!
    So you are doing the engineering foundation and then deciding? Sounds like a very good plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So you are doing the engineering foundation and then deciding? Sounds like a very good plan.
    Yea thats the plan...year 0 is 3 days a week 4 hours a day, which surprised me....means i can still earn a living!

ReputationRep:
    I thought id update this.....so I'm here...at Uni.

And it all just seem like organised chaos.

Timetable changes by the day, no course content on blackboard (despite repeatedly telling the tutors that it is blank), no tutorials on how to use blackboard,turnitin and a host of other applications.

And the basic maths isn't, well, basic! Derived units, imaginary numbers, converting units to MLT? This is foundation entry.

So I'm struggling, which i thought i would, but i am trying hard. This was made harder as we where supposed to revise what was taught in the lecture off the material on blackboard, which wasn't there. So today in a tutorial of around ten of us i was absolutely clueless and it was a bit embarrassing. I have just been through it all again and i can just get my head around it.

I am switching to foundation entry building surveying, hopefully that won't complicate matters further.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought id update this.....so I'm here...at Uni.

And it all just seem like organised chaos.

Timetable changes by the day, no course content on blackboard (despite repeatedly telling the tutors that it is blank), no tutorials on how to use blackboard,turnitin and a host of other applications.

And the basic maths isn't, well, basic! Derived units, imaginary numbers, converting units to MLT? This is foundation entry.

So I'm struggling, which i thought i would, but i am trying hard. This was made harder as we where supposed to revise what was taught in the lecture off the material on blackboard, which wasn't there. So today in a tutorial of around ten of us i was absolutely clueless and it was a bit embarrassing. I have just been through it all again and i can just get my head around it.

I am switching to foundation entry building surveying, hopefully that won't complicate matters further.
    Thanks for the update!

Hang in there! Are the others also struggling? Can you buddy up with someone doing well...?

Fingers crossed the change of Foundation will land you on a better organised course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Thanks for the update!

Hang in there! Are the others also struggling? Can you buddy up with someone doing well...?

Fingers crossed the change of Foundation will land you on a better organised course!
    Well i haven't done any maths for 11 years and 11 years ago i didn't pay any attention. All my other class mates in my tutorial are straight out of college so they are doing ok. I think they were getting a little frustrated as i was so clueless. But i got there slowly.

I have made a few pals and between us I'm sure we will work through the blackboard issues, and the maths.

I would buy the necessary books for the maths but nobody knows what they are called as they haven't appeared on blackboard as they should have!!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    But i got there
    ^^the important thing

Ask the tutor/lecturer to recommend books.

Try Engineering Mathematics by Stroud. The current edition is pricey but it should be in the UCLAN library, or buy an earlier edition and save £££s.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1137031204/

Oh, they have a Foundation version:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-...dp/0230579078/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.