Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Truth Will Set You Free watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilia1320)
    Science cannot explain everything yet, but its correcting itself and gaining more knowledge all time. Science also admits it doesn't know something yet, and doesn't invent explanation out of nowhere. You can always question scientific claim if you have sufficient evidence, but you cannot question claims made by religion, which is the core difference between these knowledge systems, and what essentially makes science more accurate source of knowledge. Yes, science is sometimes wrong, but it also tests and fixes itself all time.How could we ever know what is true if we believed every fairy tale ever existed?What makes christianity any different from fairy tales, or what makes it any more true than any other religion?

While I think OP's post was sligltly exageratted, for me that is what happened. I was a kid raised to christianity, full of fear, sadness and emotional complexes. Well, in the school, here in Finland kids who belongs in church were taught religion as truth, but I started to question everything, I was like 7 or 8. It still took a painful process and a lot of thinking with my little mind of a kid to get rid of the painful mindset. At the age of 12 I was fully atheist, and I tought first time that things are going to be alright, because I knew that my life is up to me and playing is waste of time, I must change my life myself. Well, many things I couldnt chnage, like that my parents were fighting and also had hit me with belt severel times, and threatened rather often to continue doing so, and that I was school bullied,but it was quite a lot nicer to think "it just is this way, and its not my fault" than "god hates me because he puts me trough all this, what have I done (followed by long analysis is it because I accidentally kicked ball into teachers car or something similar)"
    My actual main argument was not whether science was right or wrong, I love science and actually find it extremely interesting, always been my best subject. But this all began with someone was saying really horrible things that i didn't appreciate not just about my faith but other faiths too. Everyone has different opinions and so as people expect me to respect that, i expect others to respect my choices too. The only way that i can truthfully say that Christianity is more real to me is because that has been my answer to life. I have tried other faiths and even atheism, but none of them brought me any hope like Christianity. Also one must realize, that even though people do fundamentally believe in the same thing, they have it in different ways. A shared faith doesnt mean shared opinions. Other Christians might constantly tell you about going to hell, and how God hates you if you are a sinner. But i tell other people how God loves them and wants to help them, and I am willing to help others understand what Christianity is really about. Also i am really sad to hear that, that happened to you, as a child

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    And where have I denied that science changes due to new discoveries?

I said that that doesn't mean that there aren't many, many well substantiated and virtually proven scientific theories.
    I didnt say you denied anything, and you said adaptations but emphatically mean change, i get that. I know there are many many many proven theories, but there are some few that do remain slightly questionable, i.e. some theories about the origin of the big bang, which cant be fully tested and proven like theories of gravity which can constantly be tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_S)
    I didnt say you denied anything, and you said adaptations but emphatically mean change, i get that. I know there are many many many proven theories, but there are some few that do remain slightly questionable, i.e. some theories about the origin of the big bang, which cant be fully tested and proven like theories of gravity which can constantly be tried.
    The Big Bang theory is absolutely the expansion of the singularity, this is firmly established.

The properties of this singularity and what may have existed before it is an ongoing topic of research about which not much is know, but this in itself does not disprove or take credence away from the BBT.

You sound like all those begrudged 2edgy4me teens that just gained access to the Internet.

Atheists irl aren't actually like this guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    The Big Bang theory is absolutely the expansion of the singularity, this is firmly established.

The properties of this singularity and what may have existed before it is an ongoing topic of research about which not much is know, but this in itself does not disprove or take credence away from the BBT.
    I understand that, whole point is talking about the fact that some people will say because there is the big bang, and since it is what created our entire universe, no God exists. But the origin of the big bang is questionable, leaving the possibility of a God. Not discrediting science though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_S)
    My actual main argument was not whether science was right or wrong, I love science and actually find it extremely interesting, always been my best subject. But this all began with someone was saying really horrible things that i didn't appreciate not just about my faith but other faiths too. Everyone has different opinions and so as people expect me to respect that, i expect others to respect my choices too. The only way that i can truthfully say that Christianity is more real to me is because that has been my answer to life. I have tried other faiths and even atheism, but none of them brought me any hope like Christianity. Also one must realize, that even though people do fundamentally believe in the same thing, they have it in different ways. A shared faith doesnt mean shared opinions. Other Christians might constantly tell you about going to hell, and how God hates you if you are a sinner. But i tell other people how God loves them and wants to help them, and I am willing to help others understand what Christianity is really about. Also i am really sad to hear that, that happened to you, as a child
    I apprechiate sentient and in-depth reply.
    I agree that anyone should not mock others based on their beliefs, that serves no purpose.
    Thanks for your compassion too. I'm mostly over the thing, I live on my own now, had to move for sixth form studies, and life is easier. I have siblings thou, and I know they need to go trough what I was trough now, and that is devastating tought. My family are good people but for some reason they cannot come over their differences peacefully but it always goes into yelling and crying. Also Atheism is what provides me the sense of comfort even if this might sound counter-intuitive. I love my studies too, everything is so interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilia1320)
    I apprechiate sentient and in-depth reply.
    I agree that anyone should not mock others based on their beliefs, that serves no purpose.
    Thanks for your compassion too. I'm mostly over the thing, I live on my own now, had to move for sixth form studies, and life is easier. I have siblings thou, and I know they need to go trough what I was trough now, and that is devastating tought. My family are good people but for some reason they cannot come over their differences peacefully but it always goes into yelling and crying. Also Atheism is what provides me the sense of comfort even if this might sound counter-intuitive. I love my studies too, everything is so interesting!
    I am happy that at least you are doing good for yourself now. And yeah everything is interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    You sound like all those begrudged 2edgy4me teens that just gained access to the Internet.

Atheists irl aren't actually like this guys
    Granted, but trust me I know quite a few people who are actually like him, just saying

ReputationRep:
    Go on, let it all out. Have a nice rant and it'll all feel better in the morning

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    No he wasn't :erm:

What makes you think that?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.