West Ham
    2.50%
    Other
    1.67%
    Chelsea will still make it
    17.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Sturridge scored 2 goals against Aston Villa in just his second game and our team looked miles better attacking wise with him in the team even if he doesn't score, the guy is that good. Firmino was also injured but Coutinho would start over him anyway as he links up with Sturridge really well. Ings actually suits us better than Benteke and we looked our best this season with Ings and Sturridge both playing.
    Lol sorry but Sturridge has scored in 1 game this season, against Aston Villa. He's done barely anything in the last 2 seasons, and considering his salary, well. But Ings has looked good for you, I agree with that, but Benteke is your top scorer right now. And in reference to Sturridge, I'm sorry, but it's like Arsenal fans talking about Wilshere, you have to refer to what he does in 2 or 3 games a season, because he hasn't been fully fit in so long, and so when you reference his ability, it's all speculation, because there's no guarantee Sturridge is still a 20 goal a season striker, he only achieved that living of Suarez's quality.

Either way, my point was valid, we had 3 first team players out that all could of played, all have scored more than 2 goals this season, and 2 are proven goal scorers in a number of leagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david_94)
    Lol sorry but Sturridge has scored in 1 game this season, against Aston Villa. He's done barely anything in the last 2 seasons, and considering his salary, well. But Ings has looked good for you, I agree with that, but Benteke is your top scorer right now. And in reference to Sturridge, I'm sorry, but it's like Arsenal fans talking about Wilshere, you have to refer to what he does in 2 or 3 games a season, because he hasn't been fully fit in so long, and so when you reference his ability, it's all speculation, because there's no guarantee Sturridge is still a 20 goal a season striker, he only achieved that living of Suarez's quality.

Either way, my point was valid, we had 3 first team players out that all could of played, all have scored more than 2 goals this season, and 2 are proven goal scorers in a number of leagues.
    See link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34299540

Sturridge has scored goals without Suarez, see the end of the 12/13 season and the beginning of the 13/14 season. There was a period where Suarez wasn't scoring but Sturridge was still providing the goals for us. He is a natural goal scorer and that is something you can only prove by taking the chances you have which is what he done, Suarez just provided more chances for him to score by making space for him but he has to take them. That is the difference between a top striker and an average one, taking chances.

Anyway, yh I wasn't disputing your point in my previous post, just backing up mine.

ReputationRep:
    See link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34299540

Sturridge has scored goals without Suarez, see the end of the 12/13 season and the beginning of the 13/14 season. There was a period where Suarez wasn't scoring but Sturridge was still providing the goals for us.
    Yes, when Suarez and Sterling were assisting. In the last two seasons Sturridge has scored 7 goals in 20 appearances, and I can't think of any of those goals which have been against top 6 teams, and so, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, I'm just saying, to say he's an improvement on Benteke and Ings, you have to go back to three seasons ago, and in that team you had inform Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling, who have all left your club, and thus it is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when Suarez and Sterling were assisting. In the last two seasons Sturridge has scored 7 goals in 20 appearances, and I can't think of any of those goals which have been against top 6 teams, and so, I'm not saying he isn't a good player, I'm just saying, to say he's an improvement on Benteke and Ings, you have to go back to three seasons ago, and in that team you had inform Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling, who have all left your club, and thus it is a bit of a stretch to say the least.
    He is automatically an improvement on Benteke simply because he fits our team better like Ings and we look better going forwards with him. Sturridge is better than Ings, (although Ings is not at his peak yet but not really as talented as Sturridge, the ACL injury may ruin his career god forbid). Last two seasons he hasn't been fit so of course he isn't going to score many goals, never had a chance to get a solid run of games.

Anyway, every Liverpool fan will agree that Sturridge is our best striker, lets agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge was scoring at the start of 13/14 when Suarez was banned and Sterling hadn't established himself. Whenever he's been played as a striker he's scored, you can even look at his run at Bolton a few seasons ago.

Personally, I doubt Benteke will play that much because I'm sceptical as to whether he'll fit into a high press style of play.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester have the GOAT Vardy so hopefully them.

ReputationRep:
    David has ruined you all about Kane.

It'll be Spurs or Liverpool. Depends if Kane and Eriksen stay fit and that double pivot keep their form.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's funny, because Harry Kane scored 5 goals in October last season, so feel free to check your stats and their validity. He also has scored 6 goals in the last 3 weeks, some would consider that a good month, a 3 goals this week. So it remains a good 7 months, out of a possible 11 in which he's had the chance to be a first team striker, so flawed argument really
    Checked them and well it's still 2nd of November by the time he got his first league goal (let's be quite clear, scoring one against dog and duck fc in the Europa league is not anything to shout about). At most it's five good months, and that's out of far more than 11 months, he was average to poor wherever he went on loan. Admittedly my opinion is tarnished because I hate his melted beavis and butthead waxwork face since he's an arrogant prat who saw the championship as beneath him two years ago (assuming he's any good and those 4 good months weren't just the purple patch of a flash in the pan), but he's still not on benteke or sturridges level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Admittedly my opinion is tarnished because I hate his melted beavis and butthead waxwork face
    That's a great description.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge was injured for the most part of last season and Sturridge's best goalscoring records have been when Suarez wasn't in the team in 13/14 and the end of 12/13 when Suarez got banned.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool probably have the best chance simply because our fixture list is extremely favourable after Xmas and of course the Klopp factor.

However with our hilarious injury list I'm becoming less and less confident each week.

ReputationRep:
    Checked them and well it's still 2nd of November by the time he got his first league goal (let's be quite clear, scoring one against dog and duck fc in the Europa league is not anything to shout about). At most it's five good months, and that's out of far more than 11 months, he was average to poor wherever he went on loan. Admittedly my opinion is tarnished because I hate his melted beavis and butthead waxwork face since he's an arrogant prat who saw the championship as beneath him two years ago (assuming he's any good and those 4 good months weren't just the purple patch of a flash in the pan), but he's still not on benteke or sturridges level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a great point, Kane scoring against teams like Beskitas, who knocked Liverpool out last season? Btw if Europa League is so easy to score in, how come Benteke has never scored in the Europa League? Against teams like FC Sion, who finished where again, 6th in the Switz league, or Bordeaux that are currently a mid-table French team, it's a strong argument to say goals don't count, because they were against teams in the Europa league, when you have zero knowledge about the teams Kane scored against, and when West Ham got knocked out by one of those 'bad teams', and when Liverpool have only got 1 win in 4 games against those bad teams. Kane is better than both Benteke and Sturridge, who have both only had one good season in the premier league. Sorry to burst your 'I'm a deluded Liverpool fan bubble' but there's a reason Benteke went to Liverpool, no-other big team wanted him, there's a reason Sturridge is at Liverpool, you don't have any top players in your team, Kane is a top player, he just needs to more time to prove it.. In Bentekes and Sturridge's best seasons so far in their career, with all that time to prove themselves, they've only managed to reach 23 goals, Kane has had 31 in 1 full season, big difference as a striker, especially to reach that number in a league like the PL with a lack of first team experience in the PL. Bony is a better striker than Benteke and Sturridge anyway, Liverpool fans actually think their forward line is good, it's just average, it's a top 6 forward line, it's not a title winning forward line, and since when was having 4 strikers, when you usually play 1, a good thing? Lmao.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's a great point, Kane scoring against teams like Beskitas, who knocked Liverpool out last season? Btw if Europa League is so easy to score in, how come Benteke has never scored in the Europa League? Against teams like FC Sion, who finished where again, 6th in the Switz league, or Bordeaux that are currently a mid-table French team, it's a strong argument to say goals don't count, because they were against teams in the Europa league, when you have zero knowledge about the teams Kane scored against, and when West Ham got knocked out by one of those 'bad teams', and when Liverpool have only got 1 win in 4 games against those bad teams. Kane is better than both Benteke and Sturridge, who have both only had one good season in the premier league. Sorry to burst your 'I'm a deluded Liverpool fan bubble' but there's a reason Benteke went to Liverpool, no-other big team wanted him, there's a reason Sturridge is at Liverpool, you don't have any top players in your team, Kane is a top player, he just needs to more time to prove it.. In Bentekes and Sturridge's best seasons so far in their career, with all that time to prove themselves, they've only managed to reach 23 goals, Kane has had 31 in 1 full season, big difference as a striker, especially to reach that number in a league like the PL with a lack of first team experience in the PL. Bony is a better striker than Benteke and Sturridge anyway, Liverpool fans actually think their forward line is good, it's just average, it's a top 6 forward line, it's not a title winning forward line, and since when was having 4 strikers, when you usually play 1, a good thing? Lmao.
    A) I'm not a Liverpool fan, not even close. Have I not made it clear enough throughout this thread and indeed this subforum that I support Leicester City?

B) Benteke has scored in the Europa league while with Genk. Amazingly, sides outside the UK exist...

C) Sturridge has been a consistent goalscorer wherever he's gone, it's only injuries that have stopped him from having a series of good seasons rather than a good 4 months then 2 months out, rinse and repeat...

D) where has Bony come from? The simple question is, is kane better than benteke or sturridge? Answer: no. Don't get me wrong, he could be in the future but in the here and now he's just a likely one season wonder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benteke didn't score because he wasn't even in the squad for those games....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Benteke didn't score because he wasn't even the squad for those games....
    :laugh: that also helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A) I'm not a Liverpool fan, not even close. Have I not made it clear enough throughout this thread and indeed this subforum that I support Leicester City?

B) Benteke has scored in the Europa league while with Genk. Amazingly, sides outside the UK exist...

C) Sturridge has been a consistent goalscorer wherever he's gone, it's only injuries that have stopped him from having a series of good seasons rather than a good 4 months then 2 months out, rinse and repeat...

D) where has Bony come from? The simple question is, is kane better than benteke or sturridge? Answer: no. Don't get me wrong, he could be in the future but in the here and now he's just a likely one season wonder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah pretty much this.

Although I don't think Kane's a 1 season wonder. He definitely won't be repeating the season he just had but I think he'll be a consistent 15-20 goal a season striker.

Sturridge is better than Kane however, think the eye test is a good enough indicator.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah pretty much this.

Although I don't think Kane's a 1 season wonder. He definitely won't be repeating the season he just had but I think he'll be a consistent 15-20 goal a season striker.

Sturridge is better than Kane however, think the eye test is a good enough indicator.
    Can't agree with that, Kane's all round game is lacking too much, he's not overly strong or quick, not got the greatest of touches. He's got a good predatory instinct but we saw at the start of this season that once sides get wise to that he struggles, much like Kevin Phillips I suspect he'll potter around 10-13 for a few seasons and drift down the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree with that, Kane's all round game is lacking too much, he's not overly strong or quick, not got the greatest of touches. He's got a good predatory instinct but we saw at the start of this season that once sides get wise to that he struggles, much like Kevin Phillips I suspect he'll potter around 10-13 for a few seasons and drift down the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not in the league. I mean in all competitions as Spurs will most likely be in europa for the seasons to come.

Kane is very good at shooting from distance though(25 yard area) and his movement like you are saying is sharp. I think 15-20 goal season striker is a wise one. Does Kane take pens?

ReputationRep:
    If you also provide some context:

Kane scored 31 goals in 51 apps,

Sturridge scored 24 goals in 33 apps,

Benteke scored 23 goals in 39 apps.

Of course Kane is going to score more goals if he plays more games when on form. It's not a good comparison just by stating number of goals scored

ReputationRep:
    If you also provide some context:

Kane scored 31 goals in 51 apps,

Sturridge scored 24 goals in 33 apps,

Benteke scored 23 goals in 39 apps.

Of course Kane is going to score more goals if he plays more games when on form. It's not a good comparison just by stating number of goals scored
    That's generally part of how to measure a footballer though. Kane plays by himself up front in a team that presses the opposition for 90, and regularly has the highest distance covered for Spurs, yet is able to play over 50 games in his first full season. It certainly gives him an edge over Benteke and Sturridge (fwiw, I'd have him better than Tekkers, but below Sturridge).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 20, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.