Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    Now I ask you, was all that money really worth it?
    Difficult to tell.

Firstly, your cousin who went to the private school might not have been able to get those results at the state school.

Secondly, education isn't all about results. Your cousin who went to the private school may have left with a wider and deeper understanding of t
    he subjects he/she took, for example. These things don't always show up in exams.

Thirdly, what were their educational experiences like? I'd wager that the one who went to a private school had more trips and extra-curricular activities available to him/her, many of which could have been valuable in their character development, and could have improved their experience at the time. For instance, I bet they could have received music tuition at the private school which isn't available at many state schools.

Personally I've been in both systems. I achieved my best exam results in the state sector, where I went to sixth form, but I would still say that private schools are absolutely worth the money, unless you happen to live near a truly great state school (of which there are obviously some).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    There were plenty of people at my school who took part in extracurricular activities aka sports, drama and so on. Several of my friends played tennis and the piano from a young age and went skiiing, and as I said, I am from the middle of nowhere where there are no rich people. You don't have to go to a private school or be rich to do any of those things.
    No you don't.
    However in private schools you are expected to take part in these things, everyone does

ReputationRep:
    Well in Northern Ireland a lot of state grammar schools have private preps attached to them. I went to a state primary for two years then a girls prep then the state grammar attached to it and even though the fees were only £3000 a year you could see the difference. Like I was automatically dismissed as thick and put in the bottom reading group because I was shy at state school then first week of prep was placed in the top reading group.
    The vast majority in my class (18/20) went to the grammar school we were attached to and seven years later despite the fact there's 120 girls in my year my prep class are disproportionally represented in the hockey teams, house captains and one is head girl. One year all three head girls were from the same prep school class.
    Private school is great because it's small so you are truly valued everyone knows your time and like even wee things like everyone always getting a speaking part in plays gives you the confidence you don't get in state school

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.